Professional Web Applications Themes

Urgent (ish) Authorisation Problem with remote connect to DB instance - - IBM DB2

Hi , I'm grateful with any help with the following problem, I'm not a DBA or SysAdm but a lowly app developer trying to do a Proof of concept of an ETL tool. Basically had everything set up with ODBC to access a remote DB2 database on an AIX server, everything was fine until we had to bounce the box and then the connections were refused with invalid user/password. After some brief investigation it transpires that any remote access to this DB was cacked, not just via odbc, however access to another DB in another instance was fine. This clue ...

  1. #1

    Default Urgent (ish) Authorisation Problem with remote connect to DB instance -

    Hi , I'm grateful with any help with the following problem, I'm not a DBA or
    SysAdm but a lowly app developer trying to do a Proof of concept of an ETL
    tool.

    Basically had everything set up with ODBC to access a remote DB2 database on
    an AIX server, everything was fine until we had to bounce the box and then
    the connections were refused with invalid user/password.

    After some brief investigation it transpires that any remote access to this
    DB was cacked, not just via odbc, however access to another DB in another
    instance was fine.

    This clue lead me to think that the only differnece between the two is that
    I had reset the instance owner password to the cacked DB some days prior to
    the box bounce. Which though didnt cause any probs at the time could be
    causing this prob (I was using the account to access the DB)

    I presume that incoming connections to the DB are farmed out to the AIX OS
    to validate, what I dont know is how this works and how I can re-sync it.

    Any pointers gratefully recieved

    Victor Mendle

    ed Guest

  2. #2

    ed wrote:

    true - can you sign on to the AIX box from telnet and change your
    password that way?

    Blair Guest

  3. #3

    "Blair Adamache" <> wrote in message
    news:bm737e$9pf$torolab.ibm.com... [/ref]
    OS [/ref]
    it.

    > true - can you sign on to the AIX box from telnet and change your
    > password that way?
    >[/ref]
    Yeah , the problem isnt resetting the pw (the fools have given me root
    access) - it seems to be that however db2 farms out the auth hasnt picked up
    the pw change I made prior to the reboot

    Ed

    ed Guest

  4. #4

    Are they using NIS (yellow pages), PAM, or some other password tool that
    may set passwords across the network, and maybe it's not in sync? Do
    they have clustered AIX machines? I've heard of this problem where
    customers have their password programs, and things never stay in sync.
    It shouldn't happen this way if they're using NIS. You might want to
    open a problem with IBM support. Generally, DB2 trusts the operating
    system, so it's typically a problem below DB2 when this happens
    (certainly is you can reproduced the problem with the DB2 Command Line
    processor- CLP). Keep in mind that you can also change the password from
    the DB2 CLP:

    db2 connect to sample user adamache using <<oldpw>> new <<newpw>>
    confirm <<newpw>>

    You can also change the password throuth the GUI (Configuration
    Assistant in v8 or Client Config Assistant in v7).

    ed wrote: [/ref]

    > OS
    > [/ref]
    >
    > it.

    > Yeah , the problem isnt resetting the pw (the fools have given me root
    > access) - it seems to be that however db2 farms out the auth hasnt picked up
    > the pw change I made prior to the reboot
    >
    > Ed
    >
    >[/ref]

    Blair Guest