Professional Web Applications Themes

URGENT: Loss of wireless connection when hitting another wireless network - Windows Networking

1. change the channel on the wireless router 2. make sure the SSID name is not what shipped in the box 3. uncheck the advanced setting to automatically connect to non preferred networks 4. configure your own SSID as the only preferred network 5. be sure you are using WEP 6. be sure that 802.1x authentication is not checked Chris wrote: > I have a Dell True Mobile Wireless router attached to one > of my PC's and a Dell True Mobile Wireless Adapter > attached to the other. The PC with the adapter is > running XP Professional. The ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: URGENT: Loss of wireless connection when hitting another wireless network

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] Guest

  2. #2

    If authentication WAS checked (#6) unchecking it will solve your problem.
    As for the rest of it
    1. how far away from the access point are you?
    2. are you broadcasting the SSID?

  3. #3

    Barb, thanks again. Turning off authentication did solve
    the problem.

    And I want to say you're great. I literally spent hours
    on the phone with Dell, Microsoft, and Linksys tech
    support. I probably spoke with 6 different people, and
    none of them knew the answer.

    (I am broadcasting the SSID. Singal strength moves from
    very good to good. I'm about 30 feet away from the my
    router).

    Thank you very much for your help!

    Chris

    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    When the signal drops, see if someone is using a cordless phone in your home.

    Gerry
    GerryG. Guest

  5. #5

    I have seen other problems like this resolved with firmware upgrades to the
    wireless router/access point.

    Chett Salzman wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Barb,

    It is the Linksys BEFW11S4

    Thanks again

    Chett Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Barb,

    it is the BEFW11S4

  8. #8

    What firmware is in this router? Please upgrade to the latest version
    firmware - this probably will fix the problem (it has for others).

    Chett Salzman wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist