Professional Web Applications Themes

URL helper in MT-NewsWatcher - Mac Applications & Software

Everything was fine before I tried a newer version of Netscape. I was using MT-NW 3.2 on a TiPB with OSX 10.2. Clicking on a URL in a news article displayed by MT-NW caused Netscape to open that URL. Then I updated from Netscape 7.02 to 7.1. After that, clicking a http URL would only give me the "can't find URL helper" message. (ftp and mailto still worked as expected) Well, it was sensible that MT-NW would need to change its "connection" from the old to the new helper. But how? The error message suggested rebuilding the desktop. I don't ...

  1. #1

    Default URL helper in MT-NewsWatcher

    Everything was fine before I tried a newer version of Netscape. I was
    using MT-NW 3.2 on a TiPB with OSX 10.2. Clicking on a URL in a news
    article displayed by MT-NW caused Netscape to open that URL. Then I
    updated from Netscape 7.02 to 7.1. After that, clicking a http URL
    would only give me the "can't find URL helper" message. (ftp and mailto
    still worked as expected)

    Well, it was sensible that MT-NW would need to change its "connection"
    from the old to the new helper. But how? The error message suggested
    rebuilding the desktop. I don't believe rebuilding the desktop is
    applicable to 10.2. I did quit and restart the Finder.

    The message also mentioned that "Preferences" must be correct. When I
    opened the "Helper Applications" preference screen in MT-NW, clicking on
    "Edit IC Helpers" only produced an error bell. Again, that screen seems
    to be a holdover from the days of OS9 and IC Config.

    I tried to set System Preferences>Web for different browsers. This
    didn't make any difference to MT-NW.

    Then I found a MT-NW doent
    <http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/AppendixA.html> that mentioned there is
    no IC Config interface in OSX, and that the only way to changes settings
    is to set preferences in MSIE. Whaaaaa? I tried doing that, and still
    couldn't open an http URL from MT-NW.

    So what's the secret to get MT-NW to use a new URL helper? For now, I
    restored Netscape 7.02, and MT-NW will once again open http URLs.

    I would be appreciative for any magic chants, but let's skip the animal
    sacrifice.
    No Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: URL helper in MT-NewsWatcher

    In article
    <west.earthlink.net>,
    No Spam <net> wrote:

    :> Everything was fine before I tried a newer version of Netscape. I was
    :> using MT-NW 3.2 on a TiPB with OSX 10.2. Clicking on a URL in a news
    :> article displayed by MT-NW caused Netscape to open that URL. Then I
    :> updated from Netscape 7.02 to 7.1. After that, clicking a http URL
    :> would only give me the "can't find URL helper" message. (ftp and mailto
    :> still worked as expected)
    :>
[...]

    I've been annoyed by that too. When I got 7.01, I kept getting an error
    about Netscape being too old. When I switched up to 7.1, that went
    away, and all is well provided Netscape is running. If it's not, I get
    the same error you're describing.

    This is just a guess, since I no longer have an older version of
    Netscape to check, and I'm using MT-NW 3.3b1. But I'm curious if it
    could be that the name of the actual executable file is changed. In
    7.1, if I look at the package contents, then go into Contents/MacOS, the
    actual executable is named "mozilla-bin". Is it different in 7.02? If
    there's a file there named "Netscape", then perhaps that would explain
    it. If so, then perhaps a symlink (or alias) in 7.1 to the mozilla-bin
    file named "Netscape" could solve it.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  3. #3

    Steve wrote:

    I should have mentioned that yes, MT-NW seems to require the browser
    already be running before it will use it. I believe that "feature" was
    introduced with MT-NW 3.2. And yes, the name of the Netscape executable
    has changed. In the old version the path was
    "Netscape.app/MacOS/Netscape", and in the new it's
    "Netscape/MacOS/mozilla-bin".

    However, let me state the problem in a different way. The "update"
    scenario just seemed to present the simplest, most typical, sequence of
    events. I also tried to get MT-NW to use a completely different
    browser. Neither setting the MT-NW preferences nor setting the System
    preferences made a difference. Anything other than Netscape 7.01 caused
    the "no URL helper" error.

    So I'm wondering if there is some protocol that MT-NW uses for accessing
    the browser that only Netscape 7.01 recognizes, at least under my
    version of OSX. There seems to be some sort of formal dependency,
    because quitting Netscape 7.01 will cause the error ("no URL helper")
    immediately after successfully opening a URL through MT-NW when Netscape
    was running. Updating to MT-NW 3.3 didn't change anything.

    I am using the original Jaguar (10.2.0). Could that be the problem? I
    seem to recall at least one application that required 10.2.2, although
    that application had the decency to tell me so.

    Does anyone use MT-NW with a browser other than Netscape?
    No Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <west.earthlink.net>,
    No Spam <net> wrote:

    I use MT-NW 3.3b1 with Safari and don't recall ever having a problem. I
    just tested it to make sure, and it works fine -- opens Safari if it's
    not open; opens a new tab if it is open. (I have Safari set up to open
    new tabs, not new windows.)

    Cheers,
    Kendall

    --
    Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
    kendall---^^^^^^^

    Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
    I do read the groups to which I post!
    Kendall Guest

  5. #5

    "Kendall P. Bullen" <com> wrote:

    > I use MT-NW 3.3b1 with Safari and don't recall ever having a problem. I
    > just tested it to make sure, and it works fine -- opens Safari if it's
    > not open; opens a new tab if it is open. (I have Safari set up to open
    > new tabs, not new windows.)[/ref]

    Yes, that is how I have it too now. Before MT-Newswatcher opened IE,
    even when Safari was already up, which I found annoying. Unfortunately,
    I do not remember what settings I changed to get Safari instead.

    --
    vxu.se http://www.masda.vxu.se/~pku/
    Pieter Guest