Professional Web Applications Themes

USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Ok, I've got two USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0 using a vanilla kernel 2.4.23. 1) My wife bought me a "Centrios Clearpix Flexible Web Cam" from Radio Shack for Christmas. It is a 4 cm x 1.5 cm x 1.0 cm USB 1.1 connected web camera on a stiff flexible 30 cm long cable, intended for laptop use. It comes, of course, with the requisite MSWindows drivers and software. Linux kernel usb and hotplug support recognize it generally, but there seems not to be a driver for it. MSWindows calls it a "6029 CIF" PC Camera. From /var/log/messages... Dec ...

  1. #1

    Default USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0, kernel 2.4.23

    Ok, I've got two USB Camera problems in Slackware 9.0 using a vanilla kernel
    2.4.23.

    1) My wife bought me a "Centrios Clearpix Flexible Web Cam" from Radio Shack for
    Christmas. It is a 4 cm x 1.5 cm x 1.0 cm USB 1.1 connected web camera on a
    stiff flexible 30 cm long cable, intended for laptop use. It comes, of course,
    with the requisite MSWindows drivers and software. Linux kernel usb and hotplug
    support recognize it generally, but there seems not to be a driver for it.
    MSWindows calls it a "6029 CIF" PC Camera.

    From /var/log/messages...
    Dec 25 23:50:59 bitsie kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:04.3-1.1,
    assigned address 11
    Dec 25 23:51:02 bitsie /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for
    USB product c45/6029/101

    /sbin/lsusb says...
    Bus 002 Device 011: ID 0c45:6029

    /proc/bus/usb/devices says...
    T: Bus=02 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 11 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=0c45 ProdID=6029 Rev= 1.01
    S: Product=USB camera
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 0 Ivl=1ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=100ms
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 1 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 128 Ivl=1ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=100ms
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 2 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 256 Ivl=1ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=100ms
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 3 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 384 Ivl=1ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=100ms
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 4 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 512 Ivl=1ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=100ms
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 5 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 680 Ivl=1ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=100ms
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 6 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 800 Ivl=1ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=100ms
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 7 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 900 Ivl=1ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=100ms
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 8 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS=1023 Ivl=1ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=100ms

    I've googled both the name ("Centrios +Clearpix") and the model ("6029 CIF") and
    come up empty. Some mention of the Logitech "WC10" driver for MSWindows in
    conjunction with this camera lead nowhere as far as Linux goes.

    2) My sister-in-law bought me a "Digitron Mini Digital Camera" from The Shopping
    Channel for Christmas. This is a three-in-one camera: two levels of digital
    still and a webcamera. Again, it came with MSWindows drivers that work properly.
    MSWindows recognizes it as a "Dual Mode DSC (2770)".

    /var/log/messages says...
    Dec 26 00:09:19 bitsie /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usbcam for USB product
    2770/9120/100
    Dec 26 00:09:19 bitsie /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Module setup usbcam for USB
    product 2770/9120/100

    /sbin/lsusb says...
    Bus 002 Device 012: ID 2770:9120

    /proc/bus/usb/devices says....
    T: Bus=02 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 12 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=2770 ProdID=9120 Rev= 1.00
    S: Product=USB DIGITAL STILL CAMERA
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=3ms

    gtkam/gphoto2 recognize it as an Argus DC-1510, and shows the pictures as
    something.PPM, but segfaults when trying to view or download the pictures.
    Obviously, the camera isn't exactly an Argus DC-1510.

    Can anyone make any suggestions wrt getting either of these two cameras to work
    in Linux? I'm especially looking for the webcam access, but even digital camera
    access to the "Digitron" camera would be OK.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

    Lew Guest

  2. #2

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Lew Pitcher <ca> wrote:

    If you have the windows drivers you don't have a problem. Simply
    use windows when you use the camera. I think you'll find the photo
    editing software available for windows is far superior to that
    available for linux.

    Linux makes a dandy internet/file server but a professional
    multimedia workstation requires windows.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    justlinux@sympatico.ca Guest

  3. #3

    ca wrote:
    [nonsense as always]

    Sorry, rm, but I'm not interested in /your/ opinion.

  4. #4

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Lew Pitcher <ca> wrote:

    Sorry, Lou, but others are. When are you going to join the pgp
    trash crowd?

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    Guest

  5. #5

    bcda.com wrote:

    > Sorry, Lou, but others are. When are you going to join the pgp
    > trash crowd?
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm[/ref]

    I probably shouldn't really respond, but here goes...

    1. Your response was unhelpful and off-topic
    2. This has *nothing* to do with pgp
    3. Since *Lew* Pitcher was the OP, his opinion of your utterly useless
    response seems relevant
    4. Maybe we should take a quick vote of exactly who *is* interested in
    yor response.

    For those in comp.os.linux.* who may not know rm (if you do, my
    condolences) he is our resident anti-pgp troll in aols.

    Ross

    Ross Guest

  6. #6

    Ross Axe wrote:

    >> Sorry, Lou, but others are. When are you going to join the pgp
    >> trash crowd?
    >>
    >> cordially, as always,
    >>
    >> rm[/ref]
    >

    > I probably shouldn't really respond, but here goes...
    >
    > 1. Your response was unhelpful and off-topic
    > 2. This has *nothing* to do with pgp
    > 3. Since *Lew* Pitcher was the OP, his opinion of your utterly useless
    > response seems relevant
    > 4. Maybe we should take a quick vote of exactly who *is* interested in
    > yor response.
    >
    > For those in comp.os.linux.* who may not know rm (if you do, my
    > condolences) he is our resident anti-pgp troll in aols.
    >
    > Ross
    >[/ref]

    Oh, and I must apologise profusely for that callous misspelling of
    `your' which rm will undoubtably blame on Enigmail (Mozilla's GPG plugin
    for those that don't know)

    Ross

    Ross Guest

  7. #7

    Lew Pitcher wrote:

    Wise opinion, Lew! I cna't help with the USB issue - haven't played with
    it much myself - but I find that the GIMP does everything Photoshop
    does, and in many instances does it better. The folks who insist you've
    got to run Windows to do image manipulation need to buy a clue.

    Dan

    Dan Guest

  8. #8

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Ross Axe <co.uk> wrote: [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]

    > I probably shouldn't really respond, but here goes...[/ref]

    My response was not supposed to be helpful. It was a response to
    an insult made to me by Mr. Pitcher. And it was dead on topic.

    And Mr. Pitcher's insult had nothing to do with "it."

    Our original response was hardly useless. Using windows in his
    situation is the best option. Whether Mr. Pitcher, or you, want to
    hear that or not hardly changes the fact that his new computer's
    video card will work with windows even though it won't work with
    linux. And since there is little, if anything, that linux can do
    that windows cannot do, he can put that new computer to work after
    a 20 minute windows install. And that's assuming it didn't come
    with windows pre-installed.

    Your vote is noted.

    I am not a troll. You don't call somebody a "troll" because you
    don't agree with them. As for being "anti-pgp", the unwarranted
    use of inline pgp in a newsgroup violates usenet standards of
    netiquette and is just plain stupid, not to mention annoying.

    Your posting was designed simply to insult me. I wouldn't be
    calling anyone else a "troll" if I were you. But then again, I am
    not you, thank gawd.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Nico Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    <bcda.com> wrote in message

    > Our original response was hardly useless. Using windows in his
    > situation is the best option. Whether Mr. Pitcher, or you, want to
    > hear that or not hardly changes the fact that his new computer's
    > video card will work with windows even though it won't work with
    > linux. And since there is little, if anything, that linux can do
    > that windows cannot do, he can put that new computer to work after
    > a 20 minute windows install. And that's assuming it didn't come
    > with windows pre-installed.[/ref]

    ??? Let's see. Secure file service faster than Windows with Samba, DNS,
    multiple simultaneous users, decently secure mail service, decent remote and
    fully featured graphical clients, secure HTTP and FTP file service for
    transferring those generated images to your clients, graceful software
    updates, no DLL-hell, ghostscript built in for processing print jobs, better
    print-handlinig than Windows, not having to be the local administrator to
    use the scanner tools.

    Not a single thing that Linux does better? Dude, what rock have you been
    flagging your wagon under?

    > I am not a troll. You don't call somebody a "troll" because you
    > don't agree with them. As for being "anti-pgp", the unwarranted
    > use of inline pgp in a newsgroup violates usenet standards of
    > netiquette and is just plain stupid, not to mention annoying.[/ref]

    Bull. It's been a reasonable .sig behavior since the $cientologists
    started forging posts from their critics and trying to use them in court to
    discredit them. If you want to make sure someone doesn't forge your name or
    take your stuff out of context, it's an extremely reasonable bit of tagline.

    Definite troll. *plonk*.

    Nico Guest

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dan Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Nico Kadel-Garcia <net> wrote:

    Linux makes a decent server although I haven't looked at Windows
    2003 yet. Linux printer support is about as bad as it gets and
    linux doesn't have any sane scanner tools.

    You're a linux zealot.

    Pgp doesn't prevent anybody from forging your address. The only
    thing pgp does is prevent you from denying that you said something.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    Guest

  14. #14

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Dan Mahoney <us> wrote:

    I admitted that linux was a better choice for a server. But for
    multimedia windows s it away. That's hardly mindless
    allegiance to microsoft. A quick look at the headers of this
    posting will tell you that I am using linux right now. That's
    because I like using a text-based program for usenet.

    I like using the best tool for the job. Who makes that tool is not
    a consideration for me. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with
    suggesting that windows is more suited to a particular job than
    linux even if it is a linux group.

    Take your head out.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

    Guest

  15. #15

    > I admitted that linux was a better choice for a server. But for

    If you want to believe that, then just go right ahead. Just don't waste
    your time trying to convince me of that crap.

    Bite me.

    Dan Guest

  16. #16

    [ f'up-to set ]
    In article <vJnHb.17549$d%bellglobal.com>,
    <bcda.com> wrote:

    A recent computer with a recent version of Windows may indeed be a bit
    easier to manage in such tasks. I agree with that. If, however, either
    the machine or the Windows version is older than, say, XP, difficulties
    begin to show up everywhere. The same is true when something in your
    hardware is more recent than your Windows version.

    I have a laptop which originally sold with Win98. (I bought it with no
    OS.) Slackware 9.0 went on in minutes with no fuss, and Everything Just
    Worked, even multimedia. I later had to install Win98, and I had to
    chase down display and sound drivers before anything worked. Windows
    regularly eats the partition table on it. I am not impressed.

    And then you have the apples-vs.-oranges issue: you get far more in
    terms of functionality with any GNU/Linux distro. Slackware comes with
    the GIMP. I've not seen a Windows release which included anything near
    that league. Perhaps we should compare the GIMP to Windows paint.exe?

    Many of us in these newsgroups solely use GNU/Linux workstations. In
    terms of most common "multimedia" wants, I doubt there's much of a gap
    between Windows and Linux ... but I'll never know for sure, because I
    will never buy another Windows license.

    That buys you a bit of credibility IMV. However the decade of Usenet
    agitation behind you tends to cancel it out. :)

    To some extent, yes, the best tool, but to me the licensing is an issue
    as well. It's not the best tool if it requires more from you than you
    are willing to give. That's a personal determination.

    There are many good essays at gnu.org which suggest why license terms
    should be a consideration, so I'll just point you there and leave it at
    that.

    It's also worth noting the "open source" folks' non-ideological
    arguments in favour of free software. For example, the trust you must
    give blindly to your vendor: in GNU/Linux you can be much more confident
    that there are no backdoors nor hidden malware features.

    Once again, your history is a factor, although in principle I will agree
    here as well. I do think that Macs tend to be the platform of choice for
    more professional graphic artists, BTW ... although that is irrelevant
    in context of this thread. Who brought it up?

    I hope you had a good Christmas, Roger. Thanks for easing up on the spew
    a bit, and for choosing to post some useful content.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

  17. #17

    On Saturday 27 December 2003 17:20 bcda.com wrote:

    > Linux makes a decent server although I haven't looked at Windows
    > 2003 yet. Linux printer support is about as bad as it gets and
    > linux doesn't have any sane scanner tools.[/ref]

    Printing is sometimes its hell to setup, and I won't deny that. But
    once setup, our printer drivers kick the windows drivers clear into the
    next drainage for quality of output. Particularly if your printer is
    an epson. I've also been running an epson 1250u scanner and getting
    great results for a $100 scanner for quite some time. Crawl out from
    under your windows equipt rock and smell the success once in a while.

    > You're a linux zealot.
    >[/ref]
    Damn betcha.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    A mostly retired old coot

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Gene Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Guest
    Moderated Post

  20. #20

    ca wrote:

    This must be the crappiest response I have ever read on this ng.
    If this logic had prevailed when the first animals crawled out of the sea,
    the complaint: "It hurts when I breathe air into my gills!"
    would have been met with the response:
    "Well, stay in the water, then."
    and stopped evolution in its tracks.

    Bull. Try telling that to the good folks at Apple or the whole Hollywood
    special effects /animation industry, and hear them roar!

    / End Flame /

    OT:

    -Have you contacted the manufacturers? You may be pleasantly surprised, and
    it's a good thing to do on principle to encourage vendors to support their
    products under Linux.

    -Look for the latest unusual_devs.h additions (on the web and google groups)

    -Small comfort now, but next time buy supported hardware. If everyone does
    that, unsupported hardware will eventually disappear...

    Sorry I don't have anything more definite, but I had to say my piece.

    Good hunting.
    Phil
    Phil Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast