Professional Web Applications Themes

USB flash drive and digicam - Mac Applications & Software

I'm thinking of getting one of those tiny USB flash drives to use as a quick backup drive for my iBook when I'm travelling. Can I also use it to download pictures from my digital camera? (Canon A200). How does this work -- is it just plug and play? Do I have to install the camera's software on the flash drive? If I download one set of pictures from the camera, can I then download a second batch without having to erase the first batch? I presume that once I've downloaded the pix to the flash drive, I can later ...

  1. #1

    Default USB flash drive and digicam

    I'm thinking of getting one of those tiny USB flash drives to use as a
    quick backup drive for my iBook when I'm travelling. Can I also use it to
    download pictures from my digital camera? (Canon A200). How does this work
    -- is it just plug and play? Do I have to install the camera's software on
    the flash drive?
    If I download one set of pictures from the camera, can I then download
    a second batch without having to erase the first batch?
    I presume that once I've downloaded the pix to the flash drive, I can
    later just plug it into the iBook and transfer them.
    Thanks for any advice.

    --
    [email]dotlycsympatico.ca[/email]
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: USB flash drive and digicam

    [email]dotlycsympatico.ca[/email] writes:
    > I'm thinking of getting one of those tiny USB flash drives to use as a
    > quick backup drive for my iBook when I'm travelling. Can I also use it to
    > download pictures from my digital camera? (Canon A200). How does this work
    Your Canon A200 uses standard Compact Flash (Type I) memory cards.

    Get a small card-reader and you can just plug them right into
    the computer and they will act just like a tiny hard drive.
    Your pictures will be on the card in a subfolder called DCIM,
    and you'll be able to drag and drop them right into anywhere
    on your computer you like. And you'll be able to, if you like,
    drag and drop any file from your Mac right onto the flash card
    just the same.

    I use a MicroTech Zio! cardreader for this purpose, though I
    don't normally use the CF cards to carry about Mac files.
    > -- is it just plug and play? Do I have to install the camera's software on
    > the flash drive?
    Unfortunately, the Zio requires drivers.

    But the fact that I can use the same flash cards for the Zio
    and for the camera is pretty nice.

    I don't even normally plug my camera(s) into the computer
    directly at all - I prefer to just mount up the flash cards
    with the Zio.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- [url]http://www.expita.com/nomime.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting[/url]
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    [email]dotlycsympatico.ca[/email] wrote:
    > Rats. That doesn't help me. I wanted something I could store pictures
    >on when I don't have the iBook handy. I was hoping the flash drive could
    >do double duty.
    There is a solution, but it's pricey. Try looking for a digital wallet
    from MindsWork (MindStor).

    Available in 10, 20 and 30 GB sizes, I believe.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

    I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  6. #6

  7. #7

    In article <3f1d4116.1819181news.newsguy.com>, H.B. Elkins
    <hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net> wrote:
    > [email]dotlycsympatico.ca[/email] wrote:
    >
    > > Rats. That doesn't help me. I wanted something I could store pictures
    > >on when I don't have the iBook handy. I was hoping the flash drive could
    > >do double duty.
    >
    > There is a solution, but it's pricey. Try looking for a digital wallet
    > from MindsWork (MindStor).
    >
    > Available in 10, 20 and 30 GB sizes, I believe.
    The product is discontinued since MindsWork is out of business. Check
    <http://www.geocities.com/thedigitalwallet/> for more information. The
    sizes though, were 6GB and 10GB.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] wrote:
    > [email]dotlycsympatico.ca[/email] wrote:
    >
    > > Rats. That doesn't help me. I wanted something I could store pictures
    > >on when I don't have the iBook handy. I was hoping the flash drive could
    > >do double duty.
    >
    > There is a solution, but it's pricey. Try looking for a digital wallet
    > from MindsWork (MindStor).
    I just received an email from Canon technical support saying that I
    should be able to download pix from the A200 to a flash drive. I'm going
    to check this out further -- haven't been able to find anything on the net
    specifically on this topic -- but I'd really appreciate hearing from
    anyone who is actually using a flash drive in this way.

  10. #10

  11. #11

    [email]dotlycsympatico.ca[/email] posted on 7/22/03 10:32 AM:
    > In article <3f1d4116.1819181news.newsguy.com>,
    > [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] wrote:
    >
    >> [email]dotlycsympatico.ca[/email] wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rats. That doesn't help me. I wanted something I could store pictures
    >>> on when I don't have the iBook handy. I was hoping the flash drive could
    >>> do double duty.

    Hi There ; )
    ..just read a fellows sorrow filled lament & hot-tip on Ebay.
    He told the story of his beautiful..wonderful trip thru Europe, all the
    while snapping pics and storing them to his big Flash drive.
    When he returned home Stateside, he found upon trying to download
    the many 100's gorgeous pictures - that ALL had ben lost as the
    Flash Drive had crashed and nolonger worked. LOST EVERYTHING.
    So he warned that he would NEVER store pics on more than regular
    Compact Flash cards/SD etc,. that held anymore than 128 megabytes.

    I think that this fellow experienced a "genuine nightmare" and
    that it might be helpful for you & others to hear about to avoid your own.
    I know it has made me think twice about these mass capacity/flash drives.
    I mean.. you know??. they've already made CF's & SD's at 1GIG + higher.
    What a shame to have one malf with tons of high-def photos on them.
    YIKES.!!.

    King Neptune Guest

  12. #12

  13. #13

    In article <BB42D930.6DCC%hopestarrrhotmail.com>, King Neptune
    <hopestarrrhotmail.com> wrote:
    > [email]dotlycsympatico.ca[/email] posted on 7/22/03 10:32 AM:
    >
    > > In article <3f1d4116.1819181news.newsguy.com>,
    > > [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] wrote:

    > Hi There ; )
    > ..just read a fellows sorrow filled lament & hot-tip on Ebay.
    > He told the story of his beautiful..wonderful trip thru Europe, all the
    > while snapping pics and storing them to his big Flash drive.
    > When he returned home Stateside, he found upon trying to download
    > the many 100's gorgeous pictures - that ALL had ben lost as the
    > Flash Drive had crashed and nolonger worked. LOST EVERYTHING.
    > So he warned that he would NEVER store pics on more than regular
    > Compact Flash cards/SD etc,. that held anymore than 128 megabytes.
    Hmmm, something to think about definitely. I guess the question is
    whether the flash drives have a failure rate that's notably worse than CF
    cards. I imagine there are people who've lost pix on the cards as well.
    I haven't been able to find much of anything on the net about the use
    of flash drives with digital cameras so I'm coming to to the conclusion
    that this is, at least for the moment, probably not the best way to go. I
    think I'm going to have to go with a CF card -- either the one with the
    built-in USB port or with a card reader.

  14. #14

  15. #15

    King Neptune wrote in message ...
    >dotlycsympatico.ca posted on 7/22/03 10:32 AM:
    >
    >Hi There ; )
    > ..just read a fellows sorrow filled lament & hot-tip on Ebay.
    >He told the story of his beautiful..wonderful trip thru Europe, all the
    >while snapping pics and storing them to his big Flash drive.
    > When he returned home Stateside, he found upon trying to download
    >the many 100's gorgeous pictures - that ALL had ben lost as the
    >Flash Drive had crashed and nolonger worked. LOST EVERYTHING.

    1) There is a product coming out that will take images (data?) straight off
    of a card and burn it to a CD. There was a picture in PC Mag but no
    additional information. I think it said it will be out in fall.

    2) There is software out there that can recover lost/corrupted data off of a
    card. Maybe not all of it but at least some. It can recover deleted files
    too.

    3) I guess I'm a little confused over what is actually needed here. A USB
    drive is nothing more than compact flash with reader in a slightly different
    form. I suppose it might be a little cheaper than just buying more cards
    for your camera to begin with....If the issue is back-up then see #1.

    4) There are other digital wallets available than the mindstore one. Apple
    has really missed the boat here. The iPod would be perfect for this. Any
    entrepreneur want to make a fw enabled reader that would download the images
    to an iPod?

    Jeff Price Guest

  16. #16