Professional Web Applications Themes

USB flash drive recommendations - Mac Applications & Software

The ongoing debate over floppies has prompted me to consider a USB flash storage device. I bring my iBook to a workplace full of PCs, not all of which are networked (the one with the scanner being one). Can anyone recommend a good USB flash device that will play well with Macs and PCs? I'd rather get one of those than continue to use floppies to transfer scanned files from the PC with the scanner to my PC, or to my Mac. +++++++++++++++++++++++++ H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url] [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url] "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the ...

  1. #1

    Default USB flash drive recommendations

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

    I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: USB flash drive recommendations

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:32:08 GMT, [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email]
    (H.B. Elkins) wrote:
    >The ongoing debate over floppies has prompted me to consider a USB
    >flash storage device.
    >
    >I bring my iBook to a workplace full of PCs, not all of which are
    >networked (the one with the scanner being one).
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a good USB flash device that will play well with
    >Macs and PCs?
    >
    >I'd rather get one of those than continue to use floppies to transfer
    >scanned files from the PC with the scanner to my PC, or to my Mac.
    Dell has $27 128MB flash usb devices today (only). Go to Dell / Home/
    Home Outlet to see the prices. Use the mouse to navigate; don't
    search, to get the 15% discount D.Outlet has going on today (and
    ending tonight).
    foo Guest

  3. #3

    In message <3f09845f.1235951news.newsguy.com>, H.B. Elkins
    <hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net> writes
    >The ongoing debate over floppies has prompted me to consider a USB
    >flash storage device.
    >
    >I bring my iBook to a workplace full of PCs, not all of which are
    >networked (the one with the scanner being one).
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a good USB flash device that will play well with
    >Macs and PCs?
    Maybe this is not for you, but I use a Samsung Pocket Flash card reader
    on iBook and PCs with the same Compact Flash cards that fit my camera
    thus giving more options. They are recognised without a driver by the
    iBook but Samsung supply a driver for Win98 -- not sure about XP,
    probably unnecessary.

    --
    Richard Parkin
    Richard Parkin Guest

  4. #4

    [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] (H.B. Elkins) wrote in message news:<3f09845f.1235951news.newsguy.com>...
    > The ongoing debate over floppies has prompted me to consider a USB
    > flash storage device.
    >
    > I bring my iBook to a workplace full of PCs, not all of which are
    > networked (the one with the scanner being one).
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good USB flash device that will play well with
    > Macs and PCs?
    >
    > I'd rather get one of those than continue to use floppies to transfer
    > scanned files from the PC with the scanner to my PC, or to my Mac.
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    > [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    > [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]
    >
    > "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    > --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)
    >
    > I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    > To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Best investment I've made besides my Mac. I use a Lexar Flashdrive
    v2.0 - USB 2.0. Got it for $72 (incld S&H) plus I sent in a $15
    rebate. Seems to work great with just about every OS (Except NT,
    Win95, and Win98) right out of the package. Word of caution though,
    get the biggest one you can afford as you'll end up putting other
    things never intented like backups. The other appealing flash drives
    are the Bonzai drives that can be expanded with more cards. And of
    course I still have my USB card reader that can read three different
    formats at the same time. Allowed me to pick up an IBM 340MB
    microdrive for $35. Biggest problem with card readers is they almost
    inveribly require drivers for Win98SE and sometimes Win 2K computers.
    HTH
    der Guest

  5. #5

    I havea couple, including the PNY 128 MB USB 2.0 that was on sale at
    Best Buy this week for $29.99 after rebate. I have used several and all
    seem to work seemlessly between Mac OS-X and WinXP, as well as Win2000.
    On Win98 I had to install the drivers. No joy on WinNT though, since
    there is no such thing as USB support on NT.

    Since I bought my G4 I have gotten rid of most of my floppies. The Thumb
    Drives and a home network have done well by me.

    In article <3f09845f.1235951news.newsguy.com>,

    --
    Rich Carlson, N9JIG rich (at) n9jig.com
    IL Highways and Scanner page: [url]http://www.n9jig.com[/url]

    In Deo speramus, ceteros omnes observamus
    Rich Carlson, N9JIG Guest

  6. #6

    << I'd rather get one of those than continue to use floppies to transfer
    scanned files from the PC with the scanner to my PC, or to my Mac. >>

    Of co you'd be out of your mind to use floppies for digital images.

    Floppies are designed for MS-Office type files, which they do well for. Can a
    Mac user ever decipher in their brain that computers can be used for other
    tasks besides multimedia, design or audio?

    I reccomend a Zip disk, but since you'd rather use a USB flash drive, I can
    only recommend Sony.

    John
    JWolf6589 Guest

  7. #7

    Default USB flash drive format (was: USB flash drive recommendations)

    I have a Fujifilm 512MB and it works great, my question to everyone is
    what format do you use with it. I work on my 15" PB G4 at home and
    WinXP at work.

    When I got the drive it was formated as FAT32 and it works great but
    what always bothers me is all the dot files and .DS_Store sprinkled all
    over the drive.

    Any suggestions on a format that can be used that windows reads without
    shoing these files.

    I can just mly delete them but my syc program propagates them all
    over the places if i don't.
    Rabbit Guest

  8. #8

    [email]jwolf6589aol.comn[/email]ospam (JWolf6589) wrote:
    >Of co you'd be out of your mind to use floppies for digital images.
    >
    >Floppies are designed for MS-Office type files, which they do well for. Can a
    >Mac user ever decipher in their brain that computers can be used for other
    >tasks besides multimedia, design or audio?
    The more I've used other media, the more I've come to the conclusion
    that floppies aren't necessarily the best answer. They're slow and,
    I've learned from sad experiences with floppies going bad between the
    time I take them out of a Mavica camera and put them in a computer,
    unreliable.
    >I reccomend a Zip disk, but since you'd rather use a USB flash drive, I can
    >only recommend Sony.
    I have a USB-powered 250 MB Zip drive but it's bersome to transport
    between the various computers. The Gateways in my office have USB
    ports on the front, so it'll be a simple matter to plug in the flash
    drive, copy the files, and take them between desktop PCs or plug into
    my iBook.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

  9. #9

    << The more I've used other media, the more I've come to the conclusion
    that floppies aren't necessarily the best answer. They're slow and,
    I've learned from sad experiences with floppies going bad between the
    time I take them out of a Mavica camera and put them in a computer,
    unreliable. >>

    Of co for images dont use floppies. Use CD-R for distribution, and use
    Zips or Flash drives for working. Even I do not use floppies for large
    images/videos. Thats one reason why I have Zip 250, ORB 2.2, and Compact Flash
    drives.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  10. #10

    No one with any braines would use floppies to backup a computer system or to
    install applications (but some of my drivers for my PC ship only on floppies,
    yes including a card I purchased this year).

    Zip 250 MB drives read Zip 100's almost as fast. Maybe you need to dump USB
    and move to SCSI. According to Adaptec's website its a better bus.
    [url]http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?sess=no&langua[/url]
    ge=English+US&cat=%2fTechnology%2fMacintosh&prodke y=io_comparison_mac

    I agree with you about flash drives, and its one reason I employ a Compact
    Flash drive, which the disks can be read on my Mac, PC laptop, or Jornada 690.

    Bye the way most people do not have Word/Excel files as large as yours. My
    guess yours have tons of graphics. Floppies work great for the average users
    use of MS-office that is without many graphics.

    John

    << Zips and floppies require moving parts (a rotating disk and a sliding
    door) that can, and often do, jam. They require a device to read them-
    a device that is often size-specific (1.44 MB floppy, 100 MB Zip/ 250 MB
    Zip- which is painfully slow reading a 100 MB disk, etc.).

    A flash drive comes in many sizes, is not easily corrupted, can be
    quickly backed up, some are password protectable, blah blah blah.

    I believe that most employ similar internals with fancy externals. We
    use literally dozens and have no favourites-
    that said, look for sales, rebates, add-on deals. Then bite your lip,
    because the 256 MB USBdrive that you buy today will be more expensive
    than tomorrow's 512 MB USBDrive.

    The alternative would be to retrofit many machines with floppy drives,
    buy a bunch of floppies to handle the various files (Our Office
    Powerpoint files average 4-5 MB, our Word doents average 3-4 MB, and
    our Excel spread sheets to handle data are mammoths). I would recommend
    a small backpack to carry the floppies and would wrap them in foil to
    keep out stray microwave radiation and alien thought control.
    If you have, say, the equivalent of the two 250 MB USB Flash drives that
    I carry on a key chain, you would need 450 floppies or so. But you
    would also need software to breakup large files into 1.1 Mb chunks- plus
    you would need to install this on the receiving machines. Oh, then
    consider the need for backup system for all these floppies, perhaps
    Retrospect and a separate set of disks to store the backups to account
    for the frailty of the floppy media. Maybe hire an assistant, to take
    the time for the 400+ manual insertions necessary in to the drive bay.
    Perhaps a dolly is needed for the storage, the backpack, the
    backupsystem, and the assistant.

    :)
    Am just waiting for an epxperiment to finish...idle hands. >>

    JWolf6589 Guest

  11. #11

    In <20030707224853.19694.00000294mb-m28.aol.com> JWolf6589 wrote:

    > Of co you'd be out of your mind to use floppies for digital images.
    >
    > Floppies are designed for MS-Office type files, which they do well for.
    > Can a Mac user ever decipher in their brain that computers can be used
    What a chowder head. First, the phrase if "of course". The spelling
    you used indicates a certain crudeness or unrefined character so I guess
    it is appropriate for you.

    Second, floppies have been around longer than MS-Office. Longer that MS.

    How could floppies possibly be "designed" for MS-Office type files. How
    is an "MS-Office type file" much different that a data file or a text
    file?

    > I can only recommend Sony.
    Again, you show limited knowledge.
    Robert Love Guest

  12. #12

    Default Problems w/ USB flash drives? (Was: Re: USB flash drive recommendations)

    H.B. Elkins <hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net> wrote:
    > The ongoing debate over floppies has prompted me to consider a USB
    > flash storage device.
    I have a Lexar 128MB flash drive that I use to share files between a
    work PowerMac and my home iBook. For the most part it's great. I've run
    into a couple of problems, though: one shareware app that won't save
    files to it properly, and a corrupt Info.plist file belonging to another
    shareware app.

    I can't find much information on USB drive filesystems, or whether or
    how they can get corrupted. Nor do I know anything much about what kinds
    of file I/O operations they're compatible with. I'd guess that some Mac
    software is written using file read/write routines that may not work
    properly with a USB drive.

    Would people recommend just using the USB drives as a repository, and
    not attempt to read & write files on them using applications?

    DS

    --
    David Sewell, University of Virginia
    Charlottesville, VA USA

  13. #13

    >I have a Lexar 128MB flash drive that I use to share files between a
    >work PowerMac and my home iBook. For the most part it's great. I've run
    >into a couple of problems, though: one shareware app that won't save
    >files to it properly, and a corrupt Info.plist file belonging to another
    >shareware app.
    This often indicates that the drive is formatted for PC, not Mac. Some apps
    can, under some cirstances, have difficulty with volumes formatted for PC.
    >I can't find much information on USB drive filesystems, or whether or
    >how they can get corrupted.
    The USB flash device uses the same filesystem as any other disk volume. By
    default, USB devices are shipped formatted with the Windows FAT filesystem. I
    keep my USB flash drive formatted this way, because I exchange data between my
    Macs to my PCs with it, but it does sometimes cause problems.
    >I'd guess that some Mac
    >software is written using file read/write routines that may not work
    >properly with a USB drive.
    No; all the standard File Manager API routines work with a USB flash device.
    The mechanical details about how a device stores data (on a spinning platter,
    on a memory chip) are not relevant; only the format of the device's filesystem
    is relevant.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  14. #14

    David Sewell wrote:
    > Would people recommend just using the USB drives as a repository, and
    > not attempt to read & write files on them using applications?
    I never tried to do anything but drag files to and from
    flash drives, but based on your experience, it's clear
    that saving files from apps to flash drives is not fail-safe.
    George Williams Guest

  15. #15

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 7:21:31 +0200, Rabbit wrote
    (in message <070720032221474016%hiho.com>):
    > Any suggestions on a format that can be used that windows reads without
    > shoing these files.
    If you want to use it on Windows *and* on the Mac than FAT32 is the best
    choice. Windows doesn't support many file systems.

    Dominik Winter Guest