Professional Web Applications Themes

USB Hard drive advice needed - Mac Applications & Software

In article <160720032128370743%usenetspamtrapmooregraphics.u s>, Chris Moore <usenetspamtrapmooregraphics.us> wrote: >Iım a computer tech at a college. A graphics teacher recommended to his >students that they get external USB or FireWire drives instead of using >Zips. End of recommendation. Ok, now that leaves me wondering how many >are going to take into consideration the lack of available outlets and >the fact that they would have to crawl under a dark desk to find the >ports in the back of the computer to plug them into. One of them at >least asked me for advice. Anyway what Iım hoping to find is a ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: USB Hard drive advice needed

    In article <160720032128370743%usenetspamtrapmooregraphics.u s>,
    Chris Moore <usenetspamtrapmooregraphics.us> wrote:
    >Iım a computer tech at a college. A graphics teacher recommended to his
    >students that they get external USB or FireWire drives instead of using
    >Zips. End of recommendation. Ok, now that leaves me wondering how many
    >are going to take into consideration the lack of available outlets and
    >the fact that they would have to crawl under a dark desk to find the
    >ports in the back of the computer to plug them into. One of them at
    >least asked me for advice. Anyway what Iım hoping to find is a USB
    >powered drive that doesnıt need a power cord and has such small power
    >needs that it will work by plugging it into a USB port on the keyboard.
    >It canıt require any drivers or software because students arenıt
    >allowed to install onto the schools computers. Iım asking a lot I know
    >especially with the keyboard requirement but Iım hoping somebody knows
    >of at least one drive that will fit the bill.
    >
    >Many thanks in advance,
    >
    >Chris
    There's very limited power at the keyboard USB port. Solid state drives
    are about the only ones that would fit that description. They're
    expensive, slow, and store little.

    Firewire drives are much more practical because they're faster and they
    can draw more power from the connector. Ask your lab tech if Firewire
    extension cords can be installed to bring a jack up near the keyboard on
    each computer.

    Another option is to get a static IP address and turn on file sharing at
    home. You'll be able to access everything you have at any networked
    computer. I do this and it comes in very handy.
    Kevin McMurtrie Guest

  2. #2

    Chris Moore <usenetspamtrapmooregraphics.us> wrote:
    >Iım a computer tech at a college. A graphics teacher recommended to his
    >students that they get external USB or FireWire drives instead of using
    >Zips. End of recommendation. Ok, now that leaves me wondering how many
    >are going to take into consideration the lack of available outlets and
    >the fact that they would have to crawl under a dark desk to find the
    >ports in the back of the computer to plug them into. One of them at
    >least asked me for advice. Anyway what Iım hoping to find is a USB
    >powered drive that doesnıt need a power cord and has such small power
    >needs that it will work by plugging it into a USB port on the keyboard.
    >It canıt require any drivers or software because students arenıt
    >allowed to install onto the schools computers. Iım asking a lot I know
    >especially with the keyboard requirement but Iım hoping somebody knows
    >of at least one drive that will fit the bill.
    Doubt seriously if you will find anything that meets these specs.

    I have a LaCie Pocket Drive, which is combo FireWire/USB (2.0 I think)
    but it's self-powered only through onboard FireWire. If used with a
    laptop with a Cardbus card, or with the USB connection, a power cord
    is required.

    And I do not think that the USB bus in the keyboard provides enough
    power even to run a self-powered Zip or floppy.

    My solution to the cable problem when I shuttled my Pocket Drive
    between home and work was to buy a spare FW cable and leave it plugged
    into the back of the computer. Then I just plugged the drive into the
    cable and didn't have to crawl under the desk every time.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

    I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  3. #3

    H.B. Elkins wrote:
    > Chris Moore <usenetspamtrapmooregraphics.us> wrote:
    >

    >>Iım a computer tech at a college. A graphics teacher recommended to his
    >>students that they get external USB or FireWire drives instead of using
    >>Zips. End of recommendation. Ok, now that leaves me wondering how many
    >>are going to take into consideration the lack of available outlets and
    >>the fact that they would have to crawl under a dark desk to find the
    >>ports in the back of the computer to plug them into. One of them at
    >>least asked me for advice. Anyway what Iım hoping to find is a USB
    >>powered drive that doesnıt need a power cord and has such small power
    >>needs that it will work by plugging it into a USB port on the keyboard.
    >>It canıt require any drivers or software because students arenıt
    >>allowed to install onto the schools computers. Iım asking a lot I know
    >>especially with the keyboard requirement but Iım hoping somebody knows
    >>of at least one drive that will fit the bill.
    Don't know how much storage space the students need but I use a 256 mg
    keychain drive on my iMac USB keyboard ports with no problems. Also I
    have a SanDisk Smart media/Compact Flash card reader that I use from the
    keyboard USB ports. That would allow the students to add more cards to
    increase their storage capacity. The card reader and a few cards might
    also be cheaper to buy than an external drive. (Students being
    notoriously cheap and all.) More enticing for the graphics students the
    cards and readers can also be used for handhelds, mp3 players and
    _cameras_. This puts the onus on the students to provide and care for
    their own hardware and no extra cabling needed.
    -Carrie

    Carrie Guest