Professional Web Applications Themes

USB overdrive and non-scrolling apps - Mac Applications & Software

I have a Logitech optical mouse and its scroll wheel works well with most apps, but there are a few that just won't scroll. For example, scrolling works fine in MS Word and Excel, but not in Powerpoint. Appleworks won't scroll either. Logitech's driver info says it should work with any app that has been written to the correct "standards." So I wonder if USB overdrive would have the same problem with the same apps. I'd appreciate hearing from people who use USB Overdrive to find out if it allows you to scroll in apps that won't scroll with your ...

  1. #1

    Default USB overdrive and non-scrolling apps

    I have a Logitech optical mouse and its scroll wheel works well
    with most apps, but there are a few that just won't scroll. For example,
    scrolling works fine in MS Word and Excel, but not in Powerpoint.
    Appleworks won't scroll either.
    Logitech's driver info says it should work with any app that has
    been written to the correct "standards." So I wonder if USB overdrive
    would have the same problem with the same apps. I'd appreciate hearing
    from people who use USB Overdrive to find out if it allows you to scroll
    in apps that won't scroll with your regular mouse driver.

    --
    d49ot
    d49ot Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: USB overdrive and non-scrolling apps

    d49ot <invalid> wrote:

    Hello,

    I too, have a Logitech mouse. Never installed Logitech's software.

    The scroll whell does not work in AppleWorks either.
    It now works in Adobe Reader 6 (no scrolling in Acrobat Viewer 5.x).

    Bye,
    --
    I do it so it feels like hell
    I do it so it feels real

  3. #3

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    d49ot <invalid> wrote:

    I use USB Overdrive with my Logitech Optical mouse. By default, dhe
    scrollwheel didn't work in Powerpoint (though it does in Word, go
    figure). So I used the USB-O control panel to map "Wheel Up" to "Page
    Up" and "Wheel Down" to "Page Down". Problem solved. I've done this in
    a few apps.

    Sandeep
    SSM Guest

  4. #4

    In article <news.rcn.net>,
    SSM <invalid.com> wrote:

    Hmm. I presume you can set this configuration only for the apps
    that need it, rather than doing it globally?
    I could do this with the Logitech driver, but unfortunately, the
    settings only work globally, so I'd have to give up conventional
    scrolling in all the other apps. Not a good solution.
    The older Logitech driver for OS9 allowed you to set different
    configurations for different apps. I don't understand why they took this
    functionality out in OSX.
    I'll look further into using USB-O. What happened to the Logitech
    driver when you installed Overdrive? Does it automatically disable
    competing drivers?

    --
    d49ot
    d49ot Guest

  5. #5

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    d49ot <invalid> wrote:

    Probably because they couldn't figure out how to put it in.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  6. #6

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    d49ot <invalid> wrote:

    > Hmm. I presume you can set this configuration only for the apps
    > that need it, rather than doing it globally?[/ref]

    Correct. You can set global options and then override them on an
    app-by-app basis.

    I never installed the Logitech driver to begin with.

    Sandeep
    SSM Guest

  7. #7

    In article <news.rcn.net>,
    SSM <invalid.com> wrote:

    > > Hmm. I presume you can set this configuration only for the apps
    > > that need it, rather than doing it globally?[/ref]
    >
    > Correct. You can set global options and then override them on an
    > app-by-app basis.[/ref]

    Okay, that's a step in the right direction. I just got an email
    from Logitech support confirming that, indeed, their driver does not do
    this. They weren't helpful on the question of whether it will ever be
    upgraded that way, so it looks like USBO is the way to go.
    From what you've said above, however, it appears that even USBO
    doesn't automagically start scrolling these stubborn apps -- that you
    basically had to trick it into doing so with a workaround. Am I correct
    about that?
    I understand that if you install the OS9 version of USBO as well,
    you can scroll OS9 apps. Are you using it with any apps in Classic? If
    so, how well does that work? I still have a few that I'll be using for
    awhile and it's a pain not to have any scrolling in Classic.

    --
    d49ot
    d49ot Guest

  8. #8

    d49ot <invalid> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]
    FWIW: I have a MicroRats light operated mouse, with 2 buttons and a
    scroll wheel that is also vertically "clickable". This is attached to an
    iBook SE using MacOS 9.1. I've found that the intalled drivers f---ed up
    things a bit and eventually uninstalled the MS mouse driver. The iBook
    recognises it as a USB attachment and uses it as a two-button mouse
    without the wheel-scroll. I find that the wheel is not worth the
    aggravation.
    HTH Cheers!
    --SD--
    --
    Reply: take out the trash
    StovePipe Guest

  9. #9

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    d49ot <invalid> wrote:

    > > Correct. You can set global options and then override them on an
    > > app-by-app basis.[/ref]
    >
    > Okay, that's a step in the right direction. I just got an email
    > from Logitech support confirming that, indeed, their driver does not do
    > this. They weren't helpful on the question of whether it will ever be
    > upgraded that way, so it looks like USBO is the way to go.
    > From what you've said above, however, it appears that even USBO
    > doesn't automagically start scrolling these stubborn apps -- that you
    > basically had to trick it into doing so with a workaround. Am I correct
    > about that?[/ref]

    Most apps work just fine. The only ones where I've had to program the
    scroll wheel explicitly are Acrobat Reader, Powerpoint, and Quicken 2002.

    Dunno, I bid farewell to OS9/Classic long ago.

    My experience with the product has been pain-free, in fact until this
    thread came up it had been months since I'd had occasion to even open
    the USB Overdrive control panel.

    Now, who knows what will happen when Panther comes along...

    Sandeep
    SSM Guest

  10. #10

    In article <news.rcn.net>,
    SSM <invalid.com> wrote:

    Yeah, those are the ones that I'm having trouble with. Q02 has been
    giving me a lot of trouble and the non-scrolling is just one more
    aggravation.

    Good to know. I'll give it a try.

    --
    d49ot