Professional Web Applications Themes

USB programming? - Mac Programming

Hi, I know absolutely nothing about dealing with hardware input, but want to get a foot in the door of dealing with incoming USB data (ultimately for monitoring the input from a hardware measuring instrument). As a most basic example how would I monitor the data coming from the Apple usb mouse for instance? Is there a utility that can monitor data arrving at the ports in realtime? Presumably, usb data arriving in the computer has ID, header, and value bytes so that the device software recognises the data as theirs? As I say, I know nothing about USB input, ...

  1. #1

    Default USB programming?

    Hi,

    I know absolutely nothing about dealing with hardware input, but want to
    get a foot in the door of dealing with incoming USB data (ultimately for
    monitoring the input from a hardware measuring instrument).

    As a most basic example how would I monitor the data coming from the
    Apple usb mouse for instance?
    Is there a utility that can monitor data arrving at the ports in realtime?

    Presumably, usb data arriving in the computer has ID, header, and value
    bytes so that the device software recognises the data as theirs?

    As I say, I know nothing about USB input, but want to get a handle on
    how to code for it. Any basic, basic, reference sources would also be
    appreciated.

    Are there CW libraries for handling incoming data?

    Thanks

    Laura

    P.S. For OSX

    Laura Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: USB programming?

    In article <bkut6t$iio$2hercules.btinternet.com>,
    Laura <nospam_lbassettbigfoot.com> wrote:
    > I know absolutely nothing about dealing with hardware input, but want to
    > get a foot in the door of dealing with incoming USB data (ultimately for
    > monitoring the input from a hardware measuring instrument).
    >
    > As a most basic example how would I monitor the data coming from the
    > Apple usb mouse for instance?
    > Is there a utility that can monitor data arrving at the ports in realtime?
    >
    > Presumably, usb data arriving in the computer has ID, header, and value
    > bytes so that the device software recognises the data as theirs?
    >
    > As I say, I know nothing about USB input, but want to get a handle on
    > how to code for it. Any basic, basic, reference sources would also be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Are there CW libraries for handling incoming data?
    Go to Apple's developer web site, download the USB Driver Development
    Kit (DDK), and start reading!
    David Phillip Oster Guest

  3. #3

    Hello Laura,

    You should take a look at
    [url]http://developer.apple.com/doentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/USBBook/index.html[/url]

    It will walk you through finding a USB device and downloading data to
    it. It should be easy enough to modify it to read from the device
    instead.

    Michael

    Laura <nospam_lbassettbigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<bkut6t$iio$2hercules.btinternet.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know absolutely nothing about dealing with hardware input, but want to
    > get a foot in the door of dealing with incoming USB data (ultimately for
    > monitoring the input from a hardware measuring instrument).
    >
    > As a most basic example how would I monitor the data coming from the
    > Apple usb mouse for instance?
    > Is there a utility that can monitor data arrving at the ports in realtime?
    >
    > Presumably, usb data arriving in the computer has ID, header, and value
    > bytes so that the device software recognises the data as theirs?
    >
    > As I say, I know nothing about USB input, but want to get a handle on
    > how to code for it. Any basic, basic, reference sources would also be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Are there CW libraries for handling incoming data?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Laura
    >

    > P.S. For OSX
    Michael Milvich Guest

  4. #4

    Laura wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know absolutely nothing about dealing with hardware input, but want to
    > get a foot in the door of dealing with incoming USB data (ultimately for
    > monitoring the input from a hardware measuring instrument).
    >
    > As a most basic example how would I monitor the data coming from the
    > Apple usb mouse for instance?
    > Is there a utility that can monitor data arrving at the ports in realtime?
    >
    > Presumably, usb data arriving in the computer has ID, header, and value
    > bytes so that the device software recognises the data as theirs?
    >
    > As I say, I know nothing about USB input, but want to get a handle on
    > how to code for it. Any basic, basic, reference sources would also be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Are there CW libraries for handling incoming data?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Laura
    >

    > P.S. For OSX

    A lot of people are going to suggest that you write a driver. However,
    there is a potentially easier alternative, which is talking to the
    hardware from outside the kernel. The advantage of this is that you
    won't need to worry about wiring memory, causing a kernel panic, loading
    KEXTs, using kernel safe calls, etc.

    The disadvantage is that the result will be an application, not a
    driver, so the user will only be able to interact with the device
    through your application. So a mouse isn't a good example.

    See
    <http://developer.apple.com/doentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/USBBook/USBDeviceInterfaces/index.html>
    for a discussion of how to go about this.

    -Peter

    Peter Ammon Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for the help and the link.

    Laura

    Peter Ammon wrote:
    > Laura wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I know absolutely nothing about dealing with hardware input, but want
    >> to get a foot in the door of dealing with incoming USB data
    >> (ultimately for monitoring the input from a hardware measuring
    >> instrument).
    >>
    >> As a most basic example how would I monitor the data coming from the
    >> Apple usb mouse for instance?
    >> Is there a utility that can monitor data arrving at the ports in
    >> realtime?
    >>
    >> Presumably, usb data arriving in the computer has ID, header, and
    >> value bytes so that the device software recognises the data as theirs?
    >>
    >> As I say, I know nothing about USB input, but want to get a handle on
    >> how to code for it. Any basic, basic, reference sources would also be
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Are there CW libraries for handling incoming data?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Laura
    >>

    >> P.S. For OSX
    >>

    > A lot of people are going to suggest that you write a driver. However,
    > there is a potentially easier alternative, which is talking to the
    > hardware from outside the kernel. The advantage of this is that you
    > won't need to worry about wiring memory, causing a kernel panic, loading
    > KEXTs, using kernel safe calls, etc.
    >
    > The disadvantage is that the result will be an application, not a
    > driver, so the user will only be able to interact with the device
    > through your application. So a mouse isn't a good example.
    >
    > See
    > <http://developer.apple.com/doentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/USBBook/USBDeviceInterfaces/index.html>
    > for a discussion of how to go about this.
    >
    > -Peter

    Laura Guest