Professional Web Applications Themes

Use different *system* mouse cursor? - Macromedia Flash

I know how to use a movieclip as an alternate mouse cursor. What I'd like to do is use a different *system* mouse cursor (i.e. the hourglass, the re-size arrows, the precision pointer, as seen in 'controlpanel/mouse/pointers'). Is that in any way possible? -- Toby...

  1. #1

    Default Use different *system* mouse cursor?

    --
    Toby
    Toby Newman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Use different *system* mouse cursor?

    Toby Newman wrote:
    > I know how to use a movieclip as an alternate mouse cursor. What I'd
    > like to do is use a different *system* mouse cursor (i.e. the hourglass,
    > the re-size arrows, the precision pointer, as seen in
    > 'controlpanel/mouse/pointers').
    >
    > Is that in any way possible?

    You have to use the eventlisteners and 'hide' the user's cursor while
    displaying the object of your choice.

    See
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/doents/custom_cursor.htm[/url]
    for more information.
    --
    Elliott C. Bäck
    [url]http://elliottback.com[/url]

  3. #3

    # "Elliott C. Bäck"
    > Toby Newman wrote:
    >
    > > I know how to use a movieclip as an alternate mouse cursor. What I'd
    > > like to do is use a different *system* mouse cursor (i.e. the hourglass,
    > > the re-size arrows, the precision pointer, as seen in
    > > 'controlpanel/mouse/pointers').
    > >
    > > Is that in any way possible?
    > >

    > You have to use the eventlisteners and 'hide' the user's cursor while
    > displaying the object of your choice.
    >
    > See
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/doents/custom_cursor.htm[/url]
    > for more information.

    Sorry, I tried to make it clear, I know how to do that but thanks.

    Rather than use a movieclip as a custom mouse cursor I want to carry on
    using Window's system cursor, but I want to be able to change it to
    hourglass and re-size arrows etc, just like any other application would
    be able to. Is it possible?

    --
    Toby
    Toby Newman Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:56:33 +0100, Toby Newman <googleasktoby.com>
    wrote:
    ># "Elliott C. Bäck"
    >> Toby Newman wrote:
    >>
    >> > I know how to use a movieclip as an alternate mouse cursor. What I'd
    >> > like to do is use a different *system* mouse cursor (i.e. the hourglass,
    >> > the re-size arrows, the precision pointer, as seen in
    >> > 'controlpanel/mouse/pointers').
    >> >
    >> > Is that in any way possible?
    >> >

    >> You have to use the eventlisteners and 'hide' the user's cursor while
    >> displaying the object of your choice.
    >>
    >> See
    >> [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/doents/custom_cursor.htm[/url]
    >> for more information.
    >>

    >Sorry, I tried to make it clear, I know how to do that but thanks.
    >
    >Rather than use a movieclip as a custom mouse cursor I want to carry on
    >using Window's system cursor, but I want to be able to change it to
    >hourglass and re-size arrows etc, just like any other application would
    >be able to. Is it possible?
    Bad idea! I can't recall ever trying to do that from Flash. I forget
    where the cursor icons is located under Windows, besides that limits
    your fix to just Windows systems, then you would need to worry about
    Mac's and other OS cursors, so you would be making it harder than it
    needs to be unless you know for use your Flash will only be used by
    Windows users.

    A better solution would be be mimic the look of the cursors you want,
    then make a custom mouse pointer.

    Simple enough. For those that don't know:

    1. Make some new instance for whatever shape you want the mouse
    cursor to be.

    2. Define a setInterval or EnterFrame function that matches mouse
    movement.

    3. Use the build-in Mouse.hide method to hide the default mouse
    cursor.

    Adam Albright Guest

  5. #5

    # Adam Albright
    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:56:33 +0100, Toby Newman <googleasktoby.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > ># "Elliott C. Bäck"
    > >> Toby Newman wrote:
    > >Rather than use a movieclip as a custom mouse cursor I want to carry on
    > >using Window's system cursor, but I want to be able to change it to
    > >hourglass and re-size arrows etc, just like any other application would
    > >be able to. Is it possible?
    >
    > Bad idea! I can't recall ever trying to do that from Flash. I forget
    > where the cursor icons is located under Windows, besides that limits
    > your fix to just Windows systems
    I'm only developing for Windows, not the web, so that would be okay.
    > A better solution would be be mimic the look of the cursors you want,
    > then make a custom mouse pointer.
    Not a good option for me - I need all the resources I can save and doing
    this causes my (quite intensive) app to slow down and behave badly.

    I'm now looking to see if I can do it using a custom projector,
    something like Northcode's SWF Studio.

    --
    Toby
    Toby Newman Guest

  6. #6

    # Toby Newman
    > # Adam Albright
    > > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:56:33 +0100, Toby Newman <googleasktoby.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > ># "Elliott C. Bäck"
    > > >Rather than use a movieclip as a custom mouse cursor I want to carry on
    > > >using Window's system cursor, but I want to be able to change it to
    > > >hourglass and re-size arrows etc, just like any other application would
    > > >be able to. Is it possible?
    > >
    > > Bad idea! I can't recall ever trying to do that from Flash. I forget
    > > where the cursor icons is located under Windows, besides that limits
    > > your fix to just Windows systems
    >
    > I'm only developing for Windows, not the web, so that would be okay.
    >
    > > A better solution would be be mimic the look of the cursors you want,
    > > then make a custom mouse pointer.
    >
    > Not a good option for me - I need all the resources I can save and doing
    > this causes my (quite intensive) app to slow down and behave badly.
    >
    > I'm now looking to see if I can do it using a custom projector,
    > something like Northcode's SWF Studio.

    For completeness, I will say this:
    I contacted Northcode (Writers of SWF Studio) and they tell me that it
    could only be done by developing a VB/C++ plugin for SWF Studio.

    Thanks, all

    --
    Toby
    Toby Newman Guest