Professional Web Applications Themes

Use MS Access to write SQL select statements - Macromedia ColdFusion

Hello, I am not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I just figured out how to use MS Access to write my sql select statements for me. I opened a copy of the database I am working with, then used the query wizard. I just checked off the columns I needed, which was being pulled from 3 different tables. Then went in and added a solid criteria, under cat_id I said "1" which I later changed to #url.cat_id# I am kinda new so if anybody knows of any problems this might create maybe speed, security, memory usage...ect. ...

  1. #1

    Default Use MS Access to write SQL select statements

    Hello,

    I am not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I just figured out how
    to use MS Access to write my sql select statements for me.

    I opened a copy of the database I am working with, then used the query wizard.
    I just checked off the columns I needed, which was being pulled from 3
    different tables. Then went in and added a solid criteria, under cat_id I said
    "1" which I later changed to #url.cat_id#

    I am kinda new so if anybody knows of any problems this might create maybe
    speed, security, memory usage...ect. Or maybe other programs that this type of
    thing can be done with. I tried dreamweiver first but didn't see anything.

    StylusDesigns Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Use MS Access to write SQL select statements

    Well, the pitfalls of using Access are many, but the biggest problem you'll
    face in my opinion is that our SQL won't be very portable. SQL that you get
    from Access usually won't work the same in any other RDBMS without some
    tweaking.

    Access does make things easy though. Did you know that if you SAVE your
    query in access, you can actually call it like a table from cfquery? If
    your query was named qryCustomer you could just use "select * from
    qryCustomer" and you'll get all the records that your access query would
    pull up. Sorta neat, like a 'view' in Oracle.

    ....Brad

    "StylusDesigns" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    Hello,

    I am not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I just figured out
    how
    to use MS Access to write my sql select statements for me.

    I opened a copy of the database I am working with, then used the query
    wizard.
    I just checked off the columns I needed, which was being pulled from 3
    different tables. Then went in and added a solid criteria, under cat_id I
    said
    "1" which I later changed to #url.cat_id#

    I am kinda new so if anybody knows of any problems this might create maybe
    speed, security, memory usage...ect. Or maybe other programs that this type
    of
    thing can be done with. I tried dreamweiver first but didn't see anything.

    Brad Guest

  3. #3

    I would also suggest that you make a point of trying to understand the syntax
    and structure of the query output by access.
    Because if you just create the query in access, insert it into your cfm code
    and forget about it, when something happens and it breaks you will not be able
    to follow it to fix it.

    Ken

    The ScareCrow Guest