Professional Web Applications Themes

USE UP ALL OF THE RAM WITHOUT ANY USAGE OF SWAP AND FINALLY HANG UP. - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

According to those doents, it's obvious that people can have their ram configuration by specifying append="mem=128M" in the file /etc/lilo.conf and then run /sbin/lilo ( or just lilo if the path of the command lilo is in their environment PATH). But for me, yes, the os can recongize the ram that I specified. But the machine will USE UP ALL OF THE RAM and then HANG the machine UP for totoally use up of the ram WITHOUT USING ANY OF THE SWAP SPACE ( for large usage of memory, for example about 200M+ files are to be copied from one ...

  1. #1

    Default USE UP ALL OF THE RAM WITHOUT ANY USAGE OF SWAP AND FINALLY HANG UP.

    According to those doents, it's obvious that people can have their
    ram configuration

    by specifying

    append="mem=128M"

    in the file

    /etc/lilo.conf

    and then run

    /sbin/lilo ( or just lilo if the path of the command lilo is in their
    environment PATH).

    But for me, yes, the os can recongize the ram that I specified.

    But the machine will USE UP ALL OF THE RAM and then HANG the machine
    UP for totoally use up of the ram WITHOUT USING ANY OF THE SWAP SPACE
    ( for large usage of memory, for example
    about 200M+ files are to be copied from one device to another -- just a
    simple task for an OS)

    If the above is not to be specified in the file lilo.conf,
    that is, the lilo.conf is NOT HAVING the line

    append="mem=128M"

    Then the machine WILL NEVER HANG UP. ( though the machinese will just use
    64M ram but it will use swap spaces )

    What's going on ???

    How to have a perfect configuration on the memory for RedHat linux ?

    The above is true for my testing on redhat 5.1, 6.1, 7.1.

    Any comment or suggestion are wellcom and highly appreciate.

    Thanks very muc h!!!!!

    thanks 1000 time s!!!!!

    Jennifer
    : >
    jenniferyiu Guest

  2. #2

    jenniferyiu <jenniferyiu888> wrote:
    > According to those doents, it's obvious that people can have their
    > ram configuration
    Usually you don't need to specify the memory, unless there is some
    problem with the kernel version in recognizing it. The fact that all
    the memory is used is normal, unused memory=wasted memory, usually
    the memory is used for caching and other things, then released when
    needed by processes and applications.

    If the machine hangs, can be an hardware or a software problem, check
    the log files.

    Davide
    Davide Bianchi Guest

  3. #3

    Davide Bianchi <davideyeahsureonlyforfun.net> wrote in message news:<bj9rc4$goq7q$1ID-18487.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > jenniferyiu <jenniferyiu888> wrote:
    > > According to those doents, it's obvious that people can have their
    > > ram configuration
    >
    > Usually you don't need to specify the memory, unless there is some
    > problem with the kernel version in recognizing it. The fact that all
    > the memory is used is normal, unused memory=wasted memory, usually
    > the memory is used for caching and other things, then released when
    > needed by processes and applications.
    >
    > If the machine hangs, can be an hardware or a software problem, check
    > the log files.
    >
    > Davide

    all the memory is used is normal,
    but all the ram is to be used up, and then none of the swap is to be
    used up
    is abnormal.

    and all the ram is to be used up and then the machine hang up
    shouldn't be quite normal.

    unused memory = wasted memory is true.
    And it seems that it's not true for people not necessary to specify
    the memory. If the configuration is not to specify the ram that the
    machine is having
    then linux can't see all the ram that the machine is having and so
    a large amount of ram can't be used, and so they are unused, and so =
    wasted memory.

    I know the usual operation for the os to use the memory. Though that
    may not necessary for people to know it. But no matter for one to know
    it or not to know it, and no matter how the os is to use the memory
    normally, the machine
    shouldn't hang up.

    The hardware is all working fine since my windows 2k running on the
    same machine is working fine.

    The log file can't show anything since the machine will hang up
    suddenly
    after the totally used up of the memory.
    jenniferyiu Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:42:31 -0700, jenniferyiu wrote:

    <snip>
    > The hardware is all working fine since my windows 2k running on the
    > same machine is working fine.
    <snip>

    Don't rely on that. Run memtest86 for a few hours to make sure you don't
    have a memory problem.

    It used to be that Windows used the memory the opposite way than Linux
    (top->bottom or other way) so it wasn't unusual for Linux to find a memory
    error while Win9x worked fine on the same box.

    I'm not sure if the memory usage is the same with the newer versions of
    Windows, but running memtest86 wouldn't hurt.

    --
    Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free
    with my breakfast cereal.

    Douglas Bollinger Guest