Professional Web Applications Themes

used to windows - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

now that i installed red hat 9 what do i do next? where and how? do i need to download programs and patches like i did in windows? how do i develope the habit of using Linux? note: for starters i would rather use linux as a simple home user, not as a programer or web site admin...

  1. #1

    Default used to windows

    now that i installed red hat 9
    what do i do next?
    where and how?
    do i need to download programs and patches like i did in windows?
    how do i develope the habit of using Linux?
    note: for starters i would rather use linux as a simple home user, not as a
    programer or web site admin

    Eli Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: used to windows

    In article <br4fbs$fci$iucc.ac.il>, Eli Aran wrote:

    Just use it. If there is a problem, solve it by reading doentation and
    asking people for help. Thinking helps too :)

    You know when you need another program. You want to do something and you
    don't have the program to do it. Security patches and bugfixes are
    frequent, you need to install those.

    You find out you like it, then you find out you cannot live without it.
    It's like developing any other habit :)

    --
    Juha Siltala
    http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/people/jsiltala/

  3. #3

    Eli Aran wrote:

    if your system is not set to boot into a desktop (runlevel5) you need
    only set it to do so.
    Linux has a variety of desktops available, the most popular being KDE
    and Gnome. Probably the default redhat install will put you into one
    of the other of these (I am using Mandrake, it defaults to KDE but I
    have Gnome aboard in case some other member of the family prefers Gnome
    as his or her desktop.

    As a straight desktop user, you simply point at an icon and click on it,
    the same as you did in windows. One difference might be that you
    single-click to open an application in linux but that can be reset if
    you wish.

    Mandrake has an update utility that can be accessed from the desktop or
    the desktop menu, accessing it periodically will keep your system
    up-to-date. I am sure that RedHat has something similar.

    To get programs, look first to your distribution disk and to the desktop
    utility that accesses the disks to install more software. The disks
    will have a wealth of applications that were supplied but were not
    automatically installed. Fetch one of them when you think you need it.

    The usual applications are packaged with most current distributions of
    linux, such as a choice of browsers, mail programs, newsgroup programs,
    wordprocessors, office suites, games, etc.

    For programs that are not in your distribution disks, look for RPM
    packages that were prepared for RedHat or generic RPM packages. These
    are the easiest to install, usually by simply downloading them then
    clicking on the icon representing the package.

    For the straight desktop user, linux is as simple to operate as windows.
    For the geek who wants to work at the system level, linux is actually
    easier to use.

    One caveat. In windows you may not have had a separate user area for
    ordinary use. That is never a good idea. Make sure that you have at
    least one user area for yourself, and preferably separate user areas
    for other members of the family, all separately password protected.

    Never work in the root except to alter or upgrade the system. Never let
    anyone except the owner of the machine or the system administrator run
    in the root.

    Welcome to linux.

    Clive Guest

  4. #4

    Eli Aran wrote:

    If you *really* don't know what to do, break the system. No, honestly.
    Install rpms that look kool from somewhere and uninstall them. configure
    tarballs of source code, try to compile, view DVDs and mail letters to
    overload the system.

    When you have had a bit of fun (or broken the system), fix it and reinstall.

    Learn now when there is no need and you will be up and running when
    something goes wrong in the future.

    Abandon the GUI and see what you can do from the command line.

    Use up2date to install patches.

    What did you get the system for? Use it for that.

    As a home user, there is very little difference between Windows and Linux.
    The only ones you will get are because of manufacturers/producers being
    closed-mouthed and stingy with information.

    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks and I too have a couple of newbie questions I can't seem to find
    answers to. (1) I get a conflict in playing midi files and in trying to
    solve that, I realize I don't know how to uninstall KMID. How does one
    uninstall an application?

    (2) I'm used to right clicking in Windows and "sending" a shortcut to the
    desktop. How does one create desktop shortcuts?

    (3) I'm using Fedora 10 with Gnome and am at the point where I am
    starting to think of backups. (Mostly for contact info in Evolution
    and family pics that came in as email attachments.) What does everyone
    generally use? (a) I could swap in a SCSI CD-R. I take it this is
    preferrable to an IDE CD-R?

    (b) Or I could use a partition on my Windows machine. But I could use a
    tip here. I can't seem to see that networked partition without a lot of
    fumbling. Is there some way to make that networked partition more
    readily visible? Like a shortcut to it on the desktop? That would be
    great!

    (c) I could use a second drive, already mounted. An old 4.5 GB Viking
    that I just use the first part as a swap file. I think I formated the
    rest of it as VFAT. I would like to reformat
    it, but am clueless how to best manage partitions. Does one do that from
    the install diskettes? Or within Linux from commands? (Thanks for any
    help. Linux is amazing. This is my 3rd attempt in 2 yrs and think it'll
    fly this time.)
    Tom Guest

  6. #6

    In comp.os.linux.setup Tom F <com> wrote:

    Apply your package manager. You are talking about redhat? It'll be rpm
    or some graphic interface to same.

    Depends on tour desktop. Right clicking and selecting Create ... does
    it for me here.

    Oh, gnome! I use something else.

    Just sync your stuff accross the net to some other server every day. Or
    tar and gzip it up and put it somewhere you won't lose it every week.

    No. The ide cd writer will be used under a scsi emulation layer, and
    will be faster anyway. I haven't seen a scsi cd anything for years.
    Still, if you have it, you can try it.

    I'd do that.

    I don't understand what you mean .. normally you either mount windows
    shares at boottime, implicitly on demand, or by explicitly clicking.
    Clicking on an icon on the desktop sounds a fine way to me! Go ahead.

    Sounds fine.

    Eh? What's to manage? See Partition HOWTO for mor info or summat.

    Any way you like.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest