Professional Web Applications Themes

Usenet via DSL - Mac Networking

I've never been able to access newsgrups from the office unless I go thru google/yahoo, which is a pain. I have SBCglobal DSL at the office. I got a copy of hogwasher. It looks promising. A couple of months ago, a SBCglobal rep told me how to set up the account and server settings to get on the usenet. I didn't have an appropriate newsreader at the time. Now I've got one. It didn't work. I called SBCglobal tech support. They guy was in computer kindergarten, though he was polite. He sounded tense. I guess he gets yelled at a ...

  1. #1

    Default Usenet via DSL

    I've never been able to access newsgrups from the office unless I go
    thru google/yahoo, which is a pain. I have SBCglobal DSL at the
    office.

    I got a copy of hogwasher. It looks promising.

    A couple of months ago, a SBCglobal rep told me how to set up the
    account and server settings to get on the usenet. I didn't have an
    appropriate newsreader at the time.

    Now I've got one. It didn't work. I called SBCglobal tech support.
    They guy was in computer kindergarten, though he was polite. He
    sounded tense. I guess he gets yelled at a lot because he knows very
    little. He said there was no one he could ask, no one higher up the
    ladder. No answer.

    He had actually not ever heard of usenet or newsgroups!

    Dontcha just love it when they answer the telephone by saying, "Thank
    you for choosing sbcglobal. How can I provide you with excellent
    service today?" Truly empty words. Why don't they just say, "Thank you
    for choosing sbcglobal. We're understaffed and undertrained, but we'll
    take a wild guess."

    But I digress. I must be very close to having all the server settings
    right on HogWasher, as I walk thru the setup assistant. Will some
    knowledgeable person consider walking me thru the part I'm not getting
    right? Please reply on the newsgroup. I never check my Yahoo mail.

    Thanks in advance,

    Tim Miller
    Timothy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Usenet via DSL

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Timothy Miller) wrote:

    Call the SBC support desk once again. Each time you call you will get a
    different person and chances are that you will get someone that can
    answer a basic question like that within the first half dozen calls. :)

    Actually, you should get an answer on the second (or third) attempt.

    --
    Rodger
    Rodger Guest

  3. #3

    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    Take a look at the help files at

    http://help.sbcglobal.net/results.php?all=0&category=39

    The "news.sbcglobal.net" news server is read-only. There is a list of
    the regional news servers in the help files, and you can post from one
    of those servers.

    The example they give for setting up a newsreader uses OE. The main
    point is that you must authenticate. I have no experience with Hogwasher
    to guide you on it's use.

    John Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Timothy Miller) wrote:

    I don't know if this will be much help, but the sbcglobal.com web pages
    have an FAQ for getting to usenet. But apparently a lot depends on
    where you are located and whether you came from PacBell or some other
    merged entity.

    http://ask.sbc.com/dslca/dml_fetch.pl?CompanyID=7&ContentID=187&FaqID=165
    &word=usenet&faq_template=http://ask.sbc.com/dslca/searchfaq.shtm&topic=1
    9&back_refr=http://ask.sbc.com/dslca/&topicname=Email%20and%20Newsgroups&
    Id=%23&Instance=CA&Shared=SHARED

    Ugly URL, but if that doesn't get you something useful, you could try
    starting at the "Ask a Question" and plug in "DSL Internet", then for
    the "Ask a DSL Internet Question" plug in "usenet". That should take
    you to the above URL location.

    Good luck.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    Well, I have sbcglobal DSL at home, and I have been able to access
    newsgroups with it using several different newsreaders. Perhaps your
    settings are wrong. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    AppleScript: The Definitive Guide

  6. #6

    *

    Or you could try http://tinyurl.com/32lvk instead.
    --
    paulf | The Way is quite broad,
    | but people love shortcuts.
    panix | ------------------------------
    .com | <http://paulfrankenstein.org/>
    Paul Guest

  7. #7

    matt neuburg wrote:

    > Well, I have sbcglobal DSL at home, and I have been able to access
    > newsgroups with it using several different newsreaders. Perhaps your
    > settings are wrong. m.
    >[/ref]

    Thanks everybody!

    You're absolutely right, of course, Matt. I just don't know which
    setting is wrong. All it takes is one character...

    If I don't solve this after doing some clickin' around, I might ask you
    to post your usenet SBC DSL settings, with suitable disguises, of
    course. A chore, I know.

    And, BTW, if anyone knows the answer to the other thread I started a few
    minutes ago-- "WEP button dimmed out" -- (It should have been checkbox,
    not button)... Don't be shy. Just speak right up.

    Tim

    Timothy Guest

  8. #8

    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    <http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=287>

    m.

  9. #9

    Paul Frankenstein <xx.x> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Why bother with tinyurl in the first place? Why bother adding a few
    extra clicks and visiting yet another site when copy-paste-double-click
    works even with the longer URL? So what it if looks huge and unsightly,
    it works with a lot less effort.

    .... merely curious :)

    Geoffrey

    (remove EXCESS BAGGAGE to reply via mail)
    --
    WARNING: mail to this address will be auto-bounced if:
    (a) more than 10% original content appears before first quoted matter,

  10. #10

    In article <1gdp8wl.rj2n4v1bzyk00N[192.168.0.170]>,
    com (Geoffrey) wrote:

    Because some news readers can't handle URLs that are line wrapped.

    --
    Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
    Michelle Guest

  11. #11

    Geoffrey <com> wrote:

    Depending on the newsreader and text wrapping settings, the URL may end
    up with line breaks, as is the case with this one.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg
    Ralph Nader: Unsafe at any speed