Professional Web Applications Themes

User Account Disabled - Linux / Unix Administration

Im helping a friend sort out a problem on his Unix box, im not very clever at unix I can just work through problems with the right advice. The box only has a command line shell and I do have root access, however all the user accounts for no reason (according to anyone concerned with this box) now say: 'Account Disabled == Contact Administrator' I have tried passwd -u <user> which claims to work, but doesn't seem to solve it, anyone with any advice? Thanx GM...

  1. #1

    Default User Account Disabled

    Im helping a friend sort out a problem on his Unix box, im not very
    clever at unix I can just work through problems with the right advice.
    The box only has a command line shell and I do have root access,
    however all the user accounts for no reason (according to anyone
    concerned with this box) now say:

    'Account Disabled == Contact Administrator'

    I have tried passwd -u <user> which claims to work, but doesn't seem
    to solve it, anyone with any advice?

    Thanx
    GM
    GM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: User Account Disabled

    In article <news-FCD82E.13193609092003news.tdl.com>,
    Michael Vilain <vilainspamcop.net> wrote:
    >In article <c727f466.0309091041.29d7e714posting.google.com >,
    > [email]grantm2000hotmail.com[/email] (GM) wrote:
    >
    >> Im helping a friend sort out a problem on his Unix box, im not very
    >> clever at unix I can just work through problems with the right advice.
    >> The box only has a command line shell and I do have root access,
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> however all the user accounts for no reason (according to anyone
    >> concerned with this box) now say:
    >>
    >> 'Account Disabled == Contact Administrator'
    >>
    >> I have tried passwd -u <user> which claims to work, but doesn't seem
    >> to solve it, anyone with any advice?
    >
    >If you don't have root, you can't fix any of this.
    He does -- see the underlined quote above.

    --
    Barry Margolin, [email]barry.margolinlevel3.com[/email]
    Level(3), Woburn, MA

  3. #3

    If its any help im getting a message to do with UTMP problem, not sure
    exactly what the message says without go backing to have a look.

    G Guest

  4. #4

    GM <grantm2000hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Im helping a friend sort out a problem on his Unix box, im not very
    > clever at unix I can just work through problems with the right advice.
    > The box only has a command line shell and I do have root access,
    > however all the user accounts for no reason (according to anyone
    > concerned with this box) now say:
    > 'Account Disabled == Contact Administrator'
    > I have tried passwd -u <user> which claims to work, but doesn't seem
    > to solve it, anyone with any advice?
    It would help if you tell us what kind of *nix you are running,
    'uname -a' and you need root to enable a disabled account.

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Heiming Guest

  5. #5

    GM wrote:

    > Im helping a friend sort out a problem on his Unix box, im not very
    > clever at unix I can just work through problems with the right advice.
    > The box only has a command line shell and I do have root access,
    > however all the user accounts for no reason (according to anyone
    > concerned with this box) now say:
    >
    > 'Account Disabled == Contact Administrator'
    >
    > I have tried passwd -u <user> which claims to work, but doesn't seem
    > to solve it, anyone with any advice?
    >
    > Thanx
    > GM
    If the box has been connected to the internet, I would bet
    on some sort of attack. In that case, the solution is to
    wipe all the disks. reformat, and reinstall. Other than that,
    giving the specific type of system, revision, etc might help.

    Speaking only for myself,

    Joe Durusau
    Joe Durusau Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:48:38 -0700, "Michael Vilain <vilainspamcop.net>"
    <> wrote:
    > In article <yEq7b.632$mD.25news.level3.com>,
    > Barry Margolin <barry.margolinlevel3.com> wrote:
    >
    >> >If you don't have root, you can't fix any of this.
    >>
    >> He does -- see the underlined quote above.
    >
    > I need to make the font larger on my news reader. I read that
    > completely differently. It would also help if I engaged my brain
    > occasionally.

    Don't feel bad about misreading it. Many times I've seen people mistype
    "do" when they mean "don't".

    --
    Commander Spiral Pyjama Pseudo-Rhinocerous Feline Thingamajig Bill Mar
    (the First)

  7. #7

    "Michael Vilain " wrote:
    > I need to make the font larger on my news reader. I read that
    > completely differently. It would also help if I engaged my brain
    > occasionally.
    >
    > --
    > DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...
    Ah, it's the "Engage Brain" button you're telling DeeDee about! :-)

    --
    + Regards, +
    + Nick +

    Nicholas Bachmann Guest

  8. #8

    GM wrote:

    > however all the user accounts for no reason (according to anyone
    > concerned with this box) now say:
    >
    > 'Account Disabled == Contact Administrator'
    That often means the accounts have had too many failed login
    attempts so they have been locked. Among other things it means
    someone got a copy of the password file and went down the list
    trying to guess passwords. Extra credit: If any of the users
    aren't locked, they likely have easily guessed passwords.

    Unix systems that support password lockouts after some number
    of failed attempts have various methods to enable those
    accounts again. So post what Unix version you're on: uname -a

    Also since you've likely had a crack attempted on you, you will
    need to do a security scan. Check all executibles against the
    original on CD-ROM and so on.
    Doug Freyburger Guest