Professional Web Applications Themes

Using a scanner, minimizing dust - Adobe Photoshop Elements

My niece keeps sending me scanned photos to work on. They have a lot of dust particles. How do you minimize this? I get tired of cleaning them up....

  1. #1

    Default Using a scanner, minimizing dust

    My niece keeps sending me scanned photos to work on. They have a lot of dust particles. How do you minimize this? I get tired of cleaning them up.
    Mark Reibman Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Using a scanner, minimizing dust

    Removed by Administrator
    Kenneth Liffmann Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    There is a "dust and scratches" (or something like that) filter in Elements, but I've found it quite difficult to effectively remove all the dust spots without degrading the image. I usually set the tolerance quite low (or is it high?) to get the worst spots without altering the image itself.

    Dan
    DS Nelson Guest

  4. #4

    Dan,

    The trick is to make a very narrow selection (or close to, depending on the
    type of colors / patterns there's behind the scratch) and experiment. Photo
    restoration and clean up is the most difficult subject of all! I remember,
    a few months ago, I had to restore a picture for a friend whose father died.
    It took me 4 hours to remove all dust spots. But it worked wonderfully,
    with the dust / scracthes filter.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  5. #5

    Ray,

    Gregory Georges has a great tutorial on the dust/scratches filter in his 50 Fast Digital Photo Techniques. I've been doing quite a bit restoration myself and until I went through his tutorial I was pretty frustrated with the dust/scratches filter. Now it works like a charm for me, and it doesn't take that long to get great results. 4 hours, good grief! ;-) You're a good friend to have spent that long on a photo. Anyway, if you haven't checked out Georges book, I highly recommend it.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  6. #6

    To clear the dust I apply a foam, used by frame makers to clean the glass of frames.
    I spray it on the glass plate, wait a few seconds an wipe it off. This seems to be a little anti static as well.
    It dries within seconds and leaves no traces.

    If anyone is interested I 'll check the brand in the studio tomorrow.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  7. #7

    I'd be interested Leen.

    Thanks,

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  8. #8

    Has anyone had any experience with the Microtek Scanmaker 6800 <http://www.microtekusa.com/prsm68002aw.html> . It is said to have the first application of Applied Science Fiction's Digital ICE technology in print scanners which has done well in film scanners. PC Magazine <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,762973,00.asp> and PC World <http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,109641,00.asp> have given high marks for it. And it must be good because it has PSE 2 bundled with it. The technology is specifically for creases, dust, and dirt on prints.
    I plan to get one unless someone here has had a negative experience with it.

    Carl
    carl sutherland Guest

  9. #9

    Carl Sutherland,

    I don't have the expertise to influence your decision, but I noticed that, although the Epson Perfection 3200 specs did include PE 2.0, the Microtek 6800 lists PE 1.1 (as does the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III film scanner that I have been considering).

    Have you seen the following review of the Epson 3200?

    <http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Scanners/Epson_3200/page_1.htm>

    Also, for the 6800:

    <http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,110001,00.asp>

    OldnSenile
    OldnSenile Guest

  10. #10

    Well, Carl, I'm sure the microtek is a great scanner, but there have been serious issues in the past due to the fact that microtek doesn't provide upgraded drivers for mac much. I'd do a search on microtek over at the apple forum before buying it. I know that they flat out told everyone who had their scanners when X came out, "too bad for you."
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks Leen. Sounds like it might be more than what I need, though. Probably pretty expensive. I'll look into it anyway.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  12. #12

    Thank you for your suggestions. I'll pass on these hints to my niece.
    Mark Reibman Guest

  13. #13

    I have a Nikon super cool scan 8000 which used to have a pallette labelled ICE. This did a good job of removing dust spots and scratches in the scanning stage (after, of course, ing the negs with a gas duster. The problem for me now is that the pallette disappeared into the atmosphere or someplace else. I've reinstalled the nikon program, but to no avail. I'll be back hounding Nikon people unless soimeone out there can clue me in.
    I saw no reference to using the clone tool to get rid of dust and scratches. I use it with some degree of success, but wonder why no one has mentioned it.
    chris
    Chris Christy Guest

  14. #14

    Chris, the Clone tool is an excellent way to get rid of the larger dust and
    scratch 'anomalies'; it requires some getting used to, but it's very
    effective, especially with background noise that can also be blurred.

    BTW, and perhaps slightly off-topic, I've seen recommendations from
    Photoshop gurus that you not use the scanner's sharpening routines, as they
    may in fact cause the dust trails to become more pronounced. A 'raw' scanner
    image is the best choice for editing with PS and its younger sibling
    Elements.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  15. #15

    BTW, and perhaps slightly off-topic, I've seen recommendations from Photoshop
    gurus that you not use the scanner's sharpening routines, as they
    may in fact cause the dust trails to become more pronounced. A 'raw' scanner
    image is the best choice for editing with PS and its younger sibling
    Elements.

    Oh great, now I have to rescan the 2000 or so slides I scanned in with sharpening on! Just kidding, they're fine the way they are. That's good to know, though, Chuck. I think I just leave my Epson Twain setting for this at the default which has Sharpening turned on.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  16. #16

    Chris, cloning is one of my favorite ways to get rid of dust particles, too. I was trying to focus on getting Mark to get his niece to clean up her act so he didn't have to deal with all the crud! :) Hey, let's make this easy on the poor guy!
    Beth Haney Guest

  17. #17

    And I bet they do something with that bad scanner once they have to edit their own scans! :) Nothing like complacency when Uncle Mark is the one having to do all the work.
    Beth Haney Guest