Professional Web Applications Themes

using contribute.xml to make site wide change and avoidcreating new keys - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

I updated a large website using dreamweaver, I have 80 users connecting through contribute (version 2). I now have 2 new templates that I would like my users to have access to. Instead of creating new keys and emailing to them, can I simply force the update site wide? I have tried to make the change in the contribute.xml file which contains the summary of all the user roles, however the change is not reflected in Contribute. Is this possible? Or am I stuck making the new keys??...

  1. #1

    Default using contribute.xml to make site wide change and avoidcreating new keys

    I updated a large website using dreamweaver, I have 80 users connecting through
    contribute (version 2). I now have 2 new templates that I would like my users
    to have access to. Instead of creating new keys and emailing to them, can I
    simply force the update site wide? I have tried to make the change in the
    contribute.xml file which contains the summary of all the user roles, however
    the change is not reflected in Contribute.

    Is this possible? Or am I stuck making the new keys??

    AU-shelly Guest

  2. #2

    You don't need to make new keys for this. Just modify the role properties
    using your admin screen, and the users will see the new templates when they
    next log in. If you have too many roles to make this practical, then sure -
    you could do it in the sitewide config file (contribute.xml).

    In that file, you'll have a <group_list_item> set for each role. Within that
    set, you'll see <group_templates_list>. Between that tag and its closing tag,
    you'll add the new templates, one on each line like this:
    <group_templates_list_item value='mynewtemplate.dwt' />
    Remember, you have to do this for each role.

    <group_templates_list_item value='main.dwt' />

    christina.heikkila Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Christina -
    Its still not taking for some reason. I had made all the changes directly
    to the xml file. I cannot get Contribute 2 to see these new templates no
    matter what I do. You can see the file here:
    [url]http://www3.ashland.edu/_mm/contribute.xml[/url] (although contribute users are
    connecting to an internal machine not the live server).

    I'm stumped...

    AU-shelly Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Shelly,

    Are the new ones AU Menu Banner, AU Blank Banner and AU Menu No-Navigation?
    So AU Blank and AU Menu are the ones that were already there and are still
    working?

    The reason I'm suspecting this is because the lines for those three templates
    are a little different from the others - you have an extra space between the
    name of the template and the ending quote. For example, 'AU Menu
    Banner(space)' vs 'AU Menu Banner'. I think if you just delete the extra space
    there before that end quote on each of those lines, it should work.

    christina.heikkila Guest

  5. #5

    Works! Thanks!
    AU-shelly Guest