Professional Web Applications Themes

Using Dreamweaver Templates You Buy - Macromedia Fireworks

I'm curious to know what everyones' opinion is on purchasing templates on the web. I'm in the process of designing a simple Intranet website for my company. Nothing fancy -- just static pages with About, Company Info, Products, Contacts, etc. Site will be expanded once we can roll something visible out. I've currently been given the templates and other site artifacts from another division's Intranet site that I was going to clone. The person that originally gave me the site is no longer with the company. The person that has assumed his responsibility hardly knows anything about Dreamweaver, Fireworks, or ...

  1. #1

    Default Using Dreamweaver Templates You Buy

    I'm curious to know what everyones' opinion is on purchasing templates on
    the web. I'm in the process of designing a simple Intranet website for my
    company. Nothing fancy -- just static pages with About, Company Info,
    Products, Contacts, etc. Site will be expanded once we can roll something
    visible out.

    I've currently been given the templates and other site artifacts from
    another division's Intranet site that I was going to clone. The person that
    originally gave me the site is no longer with the company. The person that
    has assumed his responsibility hardly knows anything about Dreamweaver,
    Fireworks, or Flash. So he isn't much help.

    After looking over some of the templates, I noticed that I was missing the
    Fireworks files for the dropdown menus used within the template. He is
    currently looking for these files for me....

    I'm just wondering if I'd be better off starting from scratch with a
    template and rebranding with our logo and colors. The review committee that
    looked over the site that I was going to clone have negative remarks about
    the site. Too boring -- not enough colors -- not laid out very well, etc.
    I tend to agree.

    Therefore, instead of banging my head in trying to get something to work
    that no one likes, I thought buying a template may be the best approach for
    a beginner, such as myself. Without all the other files mudding up the
    waters.

    Here are the templates sites that I'm currently reviewing:

    Dreamweaver links:

    http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/templates.htm

    http://www.thetemplatestore.com/dreamweavertemplates.asp

    Opinions and/or other recommendation?

    --
    ....david
    http://www.micro-mess.com

    DavidM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using Dreamweaver Templates You Buy

    Go for the first one. Dump the second one.

    To see a list of "approved" template sources (this means providers where the
    code on the template pages has been examined and deemed suitable for
    commercial quality use (by me of course)), go to the resources links page
    here -

    http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "DavidM" <net> wrote in message
    something
    that
    that
    that
    etc.
    for

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    My advice would be to hire a designer. Wouldn't your company want a unique
    identity?

    --
    Jules
    http://www.charon.co.uk/charoncart

    Julian Guest

  4. #4

    Why would you need a unique identity for an Intranet? Function over Form.

    "DavidM" <net> wrote in message
    something
    that
    that
    that
    etc.
    for

    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    "DavidM" <net> wrote in message
    : I'm curious to know what everyones' opinion is on purchasing templates on
    : the web. I'm in the process of designing a simple Intranet website for my
    : company. Nothing fancy -- just static pages with About, Company Info,
    : Products, Contacts, etc. Site will be expanded once we can roll
    something
    : visible out.

    Hi,
    macromedias free ones :-)

    http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/download/templates/

    this place is well worth a look:

    http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/templates.htm

    regards

    lawrie

    lawrie Guest

  6. #6

    DavidM wrote:
    || I'm curious to know what everyones' opinion is on purchasing
    || templates on the web. I'm in the process of designing a simple
    || Intranet website for my company. Nothing fancy -- just static pages
    || with About, Company Info, Products, Contacts, etc. Site will be
    || expanded once we can roll something visible out.
    || Here are the templates sites that I'm currently reviewing:
    || Dreamweaver links:
    || http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/templates.htm
    || http://www.thetemplatestore.com/dreamweavertemplates.asp
    || Opinions and/or other recommendation?

    David,

    I think you are on the right track, why bang your head against the wall for
    something no one likes.

    I would choose the first option because I know youíll get first-rate back
    up, should you need it and I doubt you will; all the designs are current
    with many being only a few weeks / days old. Iím not familiar with your
    second option so I canít comment.

    Obviously a bespoke design by a pro designer / design team is nearly always
    the preferable option, if and itís a big if, price and time is not an
    obstacle.

    Peter R.

    Peter Guest