Professional Web Applications Themes

using dropdown box to display db record & update record - ASP

Hi Folks, I have a web database written in asp and using access97. I have many projects, but each project is being held responsible by a person. All people and projects come from the database. Looks like this: Responsible Person Project Name Canter, Joe Project A Williams, Bob Project B Fowler, James Project C Canter, Joe Project D I can have these database displayed in a table using asp and it works fine. What I really want to do is where you see the Responsible names above which corresponds to a particular project, I want those names to appear in ...

  1. #1

    Default using dropdown box to display db record & update record

    Hi Folks,

    I have a web database written in asp and using access97. I have many
    projects, but each project is being held responsible by a person. All
    people and projects come from the database. Looks like this:

    Responsible Person Project Name

    Canter, Joe Project A
    Williams, Bob Project B
    Fowler, James Project C
    Canter, Joe Project D

    I can have these database displayed in a table using asp and it works
    fine. What I really want to do is where you see the Responsible names
    above which corresponds to a particular project, I want those names to
    appear in a drop down box. The drop down box will still have the
    Responsible names above displayed but at the same time pull all of the
    other Responsible names in the database as a selection--this way a user
    can view the above table and re-assign people to different project as
    they want. After doing so, they can click submit and the database
    containg Responsible Person and Project Name is updated. I have been
    trying different ways but nothing seems to work. If you could give me
    any help or advice, I GREATLY appreciate it.

    Thank you in advance
    Jim

    Jimmy Tran Guest

  2. #2

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 07:44:44 -0700, Jimmy Tran <hunganh20>
    wrote:
    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >I have a web database written in asp and using access97. I have many
    >projects, but each project is being held responsible by a person. All
    >people and projects come from the database. Looks like this:
    >
    >Responsible Person Project Name
    >
    >Canter, Joe Project A
    >Williams, Bob Project B
    >Fowler, James Project C
    >Canter, Joe Project D
    >
    >I can have these database displayed in a table using asp and it works
    >fine. What I really want to do is where you see the Responsible names
    >above which corresponds to a particular project, I want those names to
    >appear in a drop down box. The drop down box will still have the
    >Responsible names above displayed but at the same time pull all of the
    >other Responsible names in the database as a selection--this way a user
    >can view the above table and re-assign people to different project as
    >they want. After doing so, they can click submit and the database
    >containg Responsible Person and Project Name is updated. I have been
    >trying different ways but nothing seems to work. If you could give me
    >any help or advice, I GREATLY appreciate it.

    When you say it doesnt work, what do you mean? Does it not fill the
    list? Does it not update correctly?
    Dan Brussee Guest