Professional Web Applications Themes

Using DVD-RAM to replace Panasonic PD-CD drives for archiving daily reports - SCO

In October of 1999, Rodney Rieck posed a similar question regarding using DVD-RAM drives to replace the Panasonic PD-CD optical disk drives. He ran into a problem with writing block sizes of 2048 bytes/sector. In 2001/2002 Jack Craig indicated that he was working on drivers that would be able to read and write to DVD-RAM drives similar to a regular disk drive. Jack has since left SCO and was no longer working on this as of the last time I spoke with him, around July of a year ago. I know that Microlite and its BackupEdge product write to DVD-RAM ...

  1. #1

    Default Using DVD-RAM to replace Panasonic PD-CD drives for archiving daily reports

    In October of 1999, Rodney Rieck posed a similar question regarding
    using DVD-RAM drives to replace the Panasonic PD-CD optical disk
    drives. He ran into a problem with writing block sizes of 2048
    bytes/sector. In 2001/2002 Jack Craig indicated that he was working on
    drivers that would be able to read and write to DVD-RAM drives similar
    to a regular disk drive. Jack has since left SCO and was no longer
    working on this as of the last time I spoke with him, around July of a
    year ago. I know that Microlite and its BackupEdge product write to
    DVD-RAM drives in SCO 5.0.7, but I need to be able to access the drive
    similar to a hard drive, ie. random accesses during the day and
    writing new files to it on a weekly basis. Does anyone have any
    updates on this problem or other solutions?
    Ken Sanders Guest

  2. #2

    Ken Sanders typed (on Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:55:59PM -0700):
    | In October of 1999, Rodney Rieck posed a similar question regarding
    | using DVD-RAM drives to replace the Panasonic PD-CD optical disk
    | drives. He ran into a problem with writing block sizes of 2048
    | bytes/sector. In 2001/2002 Jack Craig indicated that he was working on
    | drivers that would be able to read and write to DVD-RAM drives similar
    | to a regular disk drive. Jack has since left SCO and was no longer
    | working on this as of the last time I spoke with him, around July of a
    | year ago. I know that Microlite and its BackupEdge product write to
    | DVD-RAM drives in SCO 5.0.7, but I need to be able to access the drive
    | similar to a hard drive, ie. random accesses during the day and
    | writing new files to it on a weekly basis. Does anyone have any
    | updates on this problem or other solutions?

    It won't happen. It's a streaming medium; it cannot have a filesystem
    imposed upon it.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  3. #3

    Jean-Pierre Radley <jprjpr.com> wrote:
    >Ken Sanders typed (on Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:55:59PM -0700):
    >| In October of 1999, Rodney Rieck posed a similar question regarding
    >| using DVD-RAM drives to replace the Panasonic PD-CD optical disk
    >| drives. He ran into a problem with writing block sizes of 2048
    >| bytes/sector. In 2001/2002 Jack Craig indicated that he was working on
    >| drivers that would be able to read and write to DVD-RAM drives similar
    >| to a regular disk drive. Jack has since left SCO and was no longer
    >| working on this as of the last time I spoke with him, around July of a
    >| year ago. I know that Microlite and its BackupEdge product write to
    >| DVD-RAM drives in SCO 5.0.7, but I need to be able to access the drive
    >| similar to a hard drive, ie. random accesses during the day and
    >| writing new files to it on a weekly basis. Does anyone have any
    >| updates on this problem or other solutions?
    >It won't happen. It's a streaming medium; it cannot have a filesystem
    >imposed upon it.
    Not true.

    Both Linux and Windows support file systems on DVD-RAM.

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

  4. #4

    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote in message news:<bgrpbi$s0b$1pcls4.std.com>...
    > Jean-Pierre Radley <jprjpr.com> wrote:
    > >Ken Sanders typed (on Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:55:59PM -0700):
    > >| In October of 1999, Rodney Rieck posed a similar question regarding
    > >| using DVD-RAM drives to replace the Panasonic PD-CD optical disk
    > >| drives. He ran into a problem with writing block sizes of 2048
    > >| bytes/sector. In 2001/2002 Jack Craig indicated that he was working on
    > >| drivers that would be able to read and write to DVD-RAM drives similar
    > >| to a regular disk drive. Jack has since left SCO and was no longer
    > >| working on this as of the last time I spoke with him, around July of a
    > >| year ago. I know that Microlite and its BackupEdge product write to
    > >| DVD-RAM drives in SCO 5.0.7, but I need to be able to access the drive
    > >| similar to a hard drive, ie. random accesses during the day and
    > >| writing new files to it on a weekly basis. Does anyone have any
    > >| updates on this problem or other solutions?
    >
    > >It won't happen. It's a streaming medium; it cannot have a filesystem
    > >imposed upon it.
    >
    > Not true.
    >
    > Both Linux and Windows support file systems on DVD-RAM.
    >
    > --
    > [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    > Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]
    I concur with Tony as I have used a DVD-RAM as a file system in Linux
    and it worked as I had hoped. However, I am looking for a SCO solution
    if possible, rather than having to convert everything over to Linux.
    We are currently supporting a number of banks using SCO for the main
    server operating system.
    Ken Sanders Guest

  5. #5

    Ken Sanders wrote:
    > I know that Microlite and its BackupEdge product write to
    > DVD-RAM drives in SCO 5.0.7,
    As can Lone-Tar in 5.0.x (and Linux and other os's)
    But this will not address you question either.

    bill Guest