Professional Web Applications Themes

Using Filter, Distort, Liquidfy in PSE - Adobe Photoshop Elements

A few days ago there was a question about how to get rid of a double chin and one of the responses was to use distort, liquidfy. Coincidentally, I have a photo that I was taking out a sort of a double chin. I use blur>gaussian blur>smart blur and it was very satisfactory. I wanted to try the distort, liquidfy but can't get it to work. I've selected the area with the selection brush and then filter, distort, liquidfy and used the pucker tool as recommended. Nothing happens. I have the edit layer active. I've used mask and not used ...

  1. #1

    Default Using Filter, Distort, Liquidfy in PSE

    A few days ago there was a question about how to get rid of a double chin and one of the responses was to use distort, liquidfy. Coincidentally, I have a photo that I was taking out a sort of a double chin. I use blur>gaussian blur>smart blur and it was very satisfactory. I wanted to try the distort, liquidfy but can't get it to work. I've selected the area with the selection brush and then filter, distort, liquidfy and used the pucker tool as recommended. Nothing happens. I have the edit layer active. I've used mask and not used mask. I've read help, manuals and PSE for Dummies. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.
    JoAnn
    Joann Head Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using Filter, Distort, Liquidfy in PSE

    Joanne
    Did you check off Tool Options - Brush size, pressure?
    Bonnie L.
    Bonnie L. Guest

  3. #3

    Bonnie,

    The greater the value in the pressure box within Liquify the faster the transformation will occur. If you have it set to a real low number, it would take awhile to get started and then proceed slowly. Also I think that using the largest size brush that suits the area is a good thing.

    You are trying to perform this on an area that is surrounded by the 'marching ants' right? or that isn't red.
    Nancy S Guest

  4. #4

    Nancy
    That's precisely what I discovered (after much ranting and cussing). Then I read Joanne's dilemma and suggested checking the options - easily overlooked. Your answer clarifies it for both of us. Thanks.
    Bonnie
    Bonnie L. Guest

  5. #5

    I got it to work really well, but you have to zoom way in.
    I fixed a picture with a double chin(mine), just fixes the picture, not the real chin, darn,,,,,,,,
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  6. #6

    Jane,

    Wait for Adobe Surgical Elements 3.0, expected shipping date is... ;-)

    Ray
    (kidding here)

    Ray Guest

  7. #7

    Ray, That is one great idea! Maybe I could get PSE to work on my knee and forget the cortisone shots.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  8. #8

    Seriously, I wanted to check what I would look like after my mouth surgery, so I used PE2. I moved
    my jaw according to what the surgeon told me he would remove / add. I also used the Liquify filter
    to put some swelling in my face, so that I won't try to commit suicide when I see myself after the
    surgery. Very handy.

    ....but really, really frightening ! :)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  9. #9

    Ray,

    So, since the Dr told you it was elective surgery, have you opted-out?
    Nancy S Guest

  10. #10

    And the swelling after the surgery would only be temporary.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  11. #11

    So far, it's a go still. I'll better with the surgery than without. I could do otherwise, but will
    end up eating pureed food at 50 (which is coming very fast!)

    Ray Guest

  12. #12

    Yes, it will be. Temporary, however, is defined by the lenght you can tolerate it... For me, it's a
    month. For my surgeon, his "temporary" equals six times mine... (i.e. 6 months). But I just
    learned they shot you with steroids to get the swelling down as much as possible. So, in return,
    I'll be mister muscle for 4 weeks... (just kidding, I know how these works) !

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks for your response. I had never used this filter before and I was expecting it to react too quickly. After enlarging the brush and pressure I could see the pixels moving.
    JoAnn
    Joann Head Guest