Professional Web Applications Themes

Using filters effectively... - Photography

I have bought a few photography books, an SLR and loads of film, but nothing tells me anything useful regarding how to get the most out of filters... I have just two filters so far a Polaroid and a UV. There are a number of filters I have looked at but I don't have the guts to buy one until I get some idea of how to use the bloody things! I have figured that the Polaroid lens (knowing from high school physics) can help reduce glare it has a ring that you can turn, I just twist it until ...

  1. #1

    Default Using filters effectively...

    I have bought a few photography books, an SLR and loads of film, but nothing
    tells me anything useful regarding how to get the most out of filters...
    I have just two filters so far a Polaroid and a UV. There are a number of
    filters I have looked at but I don't have the guts to buy one until I
    get some idea of how to use the bloody things! I have figured that the
    Polaroid lens (knowing from high school physics) can help reduce glare
    it has a ring that you can turn, I just twist it until the glare
    disappears...

    I'd love to learn more about these things, are there books written just on
    filters? Are they readily available - where else can I learn more?

    Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.
    Simon.

    TheTaipan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using filters effectively...

    Try having a look at the following:

    [url]http://tinyurl.com/gumu[/url]

    [url]http://tinyurl.com/gun3[/url]

    [url]http://tinyurl.com/gun9[/url]

    [url]http://tinyurl.com/gunc[/url]

    (Don't worry about them all being aimed at motion film students...film is
    film.)

    "TheTaipan" <blahblah.com> wrote in message
    news:3f11ef0e$0$20451$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > I have bought a few photography books, an SLR and loads of film, but
    nothing
    > tells me anything useful regarding how to get the most out of filters...
    > I have just two filters so far a Polaroid and a UV. There are a number of
    > filters I have looked at but I don't have the guts to buy one until I
    > get some idea of how to use the bloody things! I have figured that the
    > Polaroid lens (knowing from high school physics) can help reduce glare
    > it has a ring that you can turn, I just twist it until the glare
    > disappears...
    >
    > I'd love to learn more about these things, are there books written just on
    > filters? Are they readily available - where else can I learn more?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.
    > Simon.

    Canongirly Guest

  3. #3

    Simon

    Firstly, let my pedantic nature correct you on one term. What you
    called Polaroid filter is actually a PolarISING filter. Polaroid is a
    brand name.

    To answer your main question, you might also try these:

    Kodak published such a book few years ago in their 'Workshop' series:
    "Using Filters" You might be able to find copy in some major bookshops
    if it's still in print.

    There are several others I've seen around but forgotten the
    titles/authors

    You might try Kodak website:
    [url]http://wwwau.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/students/handbook/filtration1.jhtml[/url]
    [url]http://wwwau.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/students/handbook/filtration2.jhtml[/url]
    [url]http://wwwau.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/students/handbook/filtration3.jhtml[/url]
    [url]http://wwwau.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/students/handbook/filtration4.jhtml[/url]

    D.B.

    "TheTaipan" <blahblah.com> wrote in message news:<3f11ef0e$0$20451$afc38c87news.optusnet.com. au>...
    > I have bought a few photography books, an SLR and loads of film, but nothing
    > tells me anything useful regarding how to get the most out of filters...
    > I have just two filters so far a Polaroid and a UV. There are a number of
    > filters I have looked at but I don't have the guts to buy one until I
    > get some idea of how to use the bloody things! I have figured that the
    > Polaroid lens (knowing from high school physics) can help reduce glare
    > it has a ring that you can turn, I just twist it until the glare
    > disappears...
    >
    > I'd love to learn more about these things, are there books written just on
    > filters? Are they readily available - where else can I learn more?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.
    > Simon.
    D Barry Guest

  4. #4

    "TheTaipan" <blahblah.com> wrote in message
    news:3f11ef0e$0$20451$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > I have bought a few photography books, an SLR and loads of film, but
    nothing
    > tells me anything useful regarding how to get the most out of filters...
    > I have just two filters so far a Polaroid and a UV. There are a number of
    > filters I have looked at but I don't have the guts to buy one until I
    > get some idea of how to use the bloody things! I have figured that the
    > Polaroid lens (knowing from high school physics) can help reduce glare
    > it has a ring that you can turn, I just twist it until the glare
    > disappears...

    See if you can get your hands on a Hoya or Heliopan catalogue. It explains
    it all in great detail.

    Miro Guest