Professional Web Applications Themes

Using Fireworks Exported Graphics/Tables - Macromedia Dreamweaver

AYSO-- Several ways to tackle this: 1. Good: In the Fireworks doent create a Slice over the part of the canvas where you want to be able to add content. In the Properties inspector set the Slice type to HTML. That will give you an empty table cell when you export the file. This is easy to do, but *not* the recommended method. You'll end up with an inflexible page with lots of spacer images and extra code. 2. Better: Separate the graphics into individual files--one for your header graphic and one for the left nav. Export separately and insert ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Using Fireworks Exported Graphics/Tables

    AYSO--

    Several ways to tackle this:

    1. Good: In the Fireworks doent create a Slice over the part of the
    canvas where you want to be able to add content. In the Properties inspector
    set the Slice type to HTML. That will give you an empty table cell when you
    export the file. This is easy to do, but *not* the recommended method.
    You'll end up with an inflexible page with lots of spacer images and extra
    code.

    2. Better: Separate the graphics into individual files--one for your header
    graphic and one for the left nav. Export separately and insert those
    Fireworks HTML files into a table that matches your page layout. Better, but
    you'll still have some issues with inflexible page elements.

    3. Best: Export the files as images only and rebuild the layout in
    Dreamweaver. This gives you maximum control over your code, how things
    appear, where they go, the behaviors that you want to use, etc. Takes more
    effort initially, but in the long run you'll learn how to get your work done
    in a more efficient manner and have better control over the final output.

    Hope that helps!

    --
    Kim Cavanaugh, author
    Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks
    "AYSO56 Webmaster" <com> wrote in message
    exported it to DW to finish the page. I intend for this graphic/nav area to
    run down the left side of the page, and the page will be centered on-screen.
    The graphic is basically a rectangle that is about 3" wide and 7" long. I
    this graphic I have small pictures, hotspots, some disjoint rollovers, etc
    for navigation. Attached to this "rectangle" graphic I also have a "header"
    graphic that extends across the top of the page. This section is about 1.5"
    high and 6" wide - the width of the page. If you can envision this, the
    graphic I've created - and this is one, single graphic - looks like an
    upside-down "L", if you were to flip the "L' vertically. I have optimized
    the graphic and exported it and it looks good and loads quickly. What I'd
    like to do is to have this graphic on the page and create a table - the
    content/text area - in the lower right portion of the screen.
    right portion of the screen. I can create a layer in that area for the text,
    which I'd never done before, but it looks terrible when I preview it in MSIE
    6. The layer "floats" to the center of the page, overwriting a part of the
    nav area. I cannot create a table in the lower right portion after bringing
    the graphic in (using the Insert>Interactive Images>Fireworks HTML command).
    I can't position the cursor anywhere to create the table and am totally
    messed up. I know what I want, but don't know the correct way to get it
    done. The sprit is willing but the body is weak...
    upside-down "L" running along the top and down the left side, with static
    content on the lower-right side. Should I be creating three tables - one
    across the top and two below it to contain the nav bar on the left and
    content on the right; then split the FW graphic into two parts - the header
    and the left side graphic below it and import them separately?
    FrontPage, which is a bit easier for me to use. But after thinking about it,
    said Nahhhhh!

    Kim Guest

  2. #2

    Kim:

    Dang! BINGO. 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Kim Cavanaugh" <com> wrote in message
    inspector
    you
    header
    but
    done
    > exported it to DW to finish the page. I intend for this graphic/nav area[/ref]
    on-screen.
    "header"
    1.5"
    > right portion of the screen. I can create a layer in that area for the[/ref]
    text,
    MSIE
    bringing
    command).
    > upside-down "L" running along the top and down the left side, with static
    > content on the lower-right side. Should I be creating three tables - one
    > across the top and two below it to contain the nav bar on the left and
    > content on the right; then split the FW graphic into two parts - the[/ref]
    header
    > FrontPage, which is a bit easier for me to use. But after thinking about[/ref]
    it,

    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Kim:

    Thanks very much for your help - I have not yet tried the Best solution, but understand what you've said and will be doing that shortly. Murray, thanks for seconding the motion.

    I am new to this board and like the way it works: Post your question, step into the shower and have great responses in 5 minutes when you get out. I like it.

    Thanks for your help and I think I will obtain the FW for Beginners text.

    Jim

    AYSO56 Guest

  4. #4

    Jim:

    Sheesh! You can take a 5 minute shower? What version is your shower head?
    Oh, wait.... *cough*....

    You should also get a good DW book. I recommend the very excellent
    Dreamweaver MX: The Missing Manual by Dave McFarland (O'Reilly
    Publications).

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

  5. #5

    head?

    Those new CSS shower heads allows you to separate content from presentation
    so you can shower *much* more quickly.