Professional Web Applications Themes

Using keyboard for pop-up "confirmation" windows - Mac Applications & Software

Howdy all. I've ben trying to figure out how to use my keyboard to toggle between my options in pop-ups when I, for example, go to save a file. If I try to save a file with an existing name, I get a pop-up that asks to "Cancel or Replace" the existing file. The default is always "Cancel", which I can use by simply pressing the RETURN key. Now if I want to "Replace"... well normally in Windows, I just use the TAB key to put the focus on that and then hit RETURN. But in OS X (10.2.6), I ...

  1. #1

    Default Using keyboard for pop-up "confirmation" windows

    Howdy all. I've ben trying to figure out how to use my keyboard to
    toggle between my options in pop-ups when I, for example, go to save a
    file. If I try to save a file with an existing name, I get a pop-up
    that asks to "Cancel or Replace" the existing file. The default is
    always "Cancel", which I can use by simply pressing the RETURN key. Now
    if I want to "Replace"... well normally in Windows, I just use the TAB
    key to put the focus on that and then hit RETURN. But in OS X (10.2.6),
    I can't figure out what key can do the same. Am I missing something, or
    is this a "feature" and I'm doomed to using the mouse?
    Just Guest

  2. #2

    In article <MPG.19a76890abe4794398989anews-server>,
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Just_Annutha_Dewd?= <josť> wrote:

    Trying hitting Command-R. I don't know if this works system-wide, but in
    Word, hitting Command (the Apple key) and the first letter of the button
    (in this case "R" for "Replace") will work. I know it works in Word
    because I just tried it. I also use it in some applications when I get
    the Don't Save/Save/Cancel dialog. Command-D enables Don't Save,
    Command-S enables Save, Command-C enables Cancel.

    In BBEdit, if you hold down the Command key for a second, the keyboard
    shortcuts actually get displayed right in the buttons. I don't know how
    many other applications have this feature. Word doesn't seem to.
    Moe Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:15:44 -0500, as the moon rose into the night's
    sky, Moe Szyslak ed back his head and howled:

    > Trying hitting Command-R. I don't know if this works system-wide, but in
    > Word, hitting Command (the Apple key) and the first letter of the button
    > (in this case "R" for "Replace") will work. I know it works in Word
    > because I just tried it. I also use it in some applications when I get
    > the Don't Save/Save/Cancel dialog. Command-D enables Don't Save,
    > Command-S enables Save, Command-C enables Cancel.[/ref]

    Ah... it never occured to me to try that. It's still more bersome
    than hitting TAB to cycle through them quickly. With any luck, we'll
    see that in Panther. Thanks for the tip!
    Just Guest

  4. #4

    >>Trying hitting Command-R. I don't know if this works system-wide, but in
    >>Word, hitting Command (the Apple key) and the first letter of the button
    >>(in this case "R" for "Replace") will work. I know it works in Word
    >>because I just tried it. I also use it in some applications when I get
    >>the Don't Save/Save/Cancel dialog. Command-D enables Don't Save,
    >>Command-S enables Save, Command-C enables Cancel.[/ref]
    >

    > Ah... it never occured to me to try that. It's still more bersome
    > than hitting TAB to cycle through them quickly. With any luck, we'll
    > see that in Panther. Thanks for the tip![/ref]

    Check the system preferences "Keyboard". On the second tab you can
    enable "extended support" (or something like that) which will give you
    tab in most dialogs. It gives one button a blue edge which has the
    focus. Activate it with space. The completely blue (default) button is
    still activated when pressing return.

    But I agree, Apple is WAY behind on Windows in keyboard-access. Hope
    they will sometime understand that some people prefer (or need) the
    keyboard...

    Jaco Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:54:15 +0200, as the moon rose into the night's
    sky, Jaco Schoonen ed back his head and howled:

    > > Ah... it never occured to me to try that. It's still more bersome
    > > than hitting TAB to cycle through them quickly. With any luck, we'll
    > > see that in Panther. Thanks for the tip![/ref]
    >
    > Check the system preferences "Keyboard". On the second tab you can
    > enable "extended support" (or something like that) which will give you
    > tab in most dialogs. It gives one button a blue edge which has the
    > focus. Activate it with space. The completely blue (default) button is
    > still activated when pressing return.[/ref]

    I had to enable a second option at the bottom of that screen... the
    option to highlight "any control". Once done, it worked like a champ.
    Thanks!
    Just Guest