Professional Web Applications Themes

Using masters for consistent look in InDesign CS - Adobe Indesign Windows

The masters feature is a very neat idea indeed. However, when placing dynamic text-frames on a master, how do use these on normal pages? I have tried using the CTRL+SHIFT function and been able to write within it. Yet I find this to be a rather disturbing way because somehow it feels like I'm "cutting it lose" (the text-frame) from the master page, or am I? I want to be able to create doents with a consistent look where page headers and footers are added and styled on the master page to later be filled with text (not move it ...

  1. #1

    Default Using masters for consistent look in InDesign CS

    The masters feature is a very neat idea indeed. However, when placing dynamic text-frames on a master, how do use these on normal pages? I have tried using the CTRL+SHIFT function and been able to write within it. Yet I find this to be a rather disturbing way because somehow it feels like I'm "cutting it lose" (the text-frame) from the master page, or am I?

    I want to be able to create doents with a consistent look where page headers and footers are added and styled on the master page to later be filled with text (not move it around or style it differently) on the normal pages. I'm sure this can be done but I have yet to figure out a good way to do it, perhaps a more experienced soul here can help me?

    Thanks,
    Hans Fjällemark
    Hans_Fjällemark@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Yes Hans, when you Ctrl+Shift+Click a master page item, (when working on an actual page), this is a "master page item override," and you are, in fact, "cutting it loose" from the master page, and converting it to a normal page item...but only on the page on which you made the override...the master page will still contain the item, (in its pre-override state), as will any new pages with that master applied.

    If that's confusing, ask more questions and we'll take it from there.
    John Mensinger Guest

  3. #3

    Hi John,

    I know the master page isn't affected when I change (or "cut loose") the item. But I would somehow like to change the content in the item rather than overriding it and "cutting it loose". E.g. I want the text-frame to contain a variable which is changeable on each page.

    However, I've discovered that the master page item override function does work as long as you don't move the item or change the its character-/paragraph-styles on the actual page.

    I'm still not really satisfied with "cutting it loose", but if you say this is the only option I have no choice. As I come from a webdesigner background I like to keep code/layout and actual content apart. This is what I'm looking for in Indesign.

    / Hans
    Hans_Fjällemark@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    If you want to use different items on different pages, why don't you use multiple master pages? I'm probably missing something, but it seems to me that ID is doing what you want - it's keeping layout and content apart (the layout is set on the master page and the content (ie, the variable) is applied to the text page).
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    When I apply the master page item override function I mix the layout (on the master page) with the content (on the actual page), hence the master item is now actual page item and InDesign is not keeping it apart. I still want it to be a master item and only able to assign text to it on the actual page, not detach it from the layout.

    / Hans
    Hans_Fjällemark@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    As Dominic says, make multiple masters. Make a master without the item you
    want to change. Then make a series of masters based on your original - so
    all the fixed stuff is there in the same place - and add separate text
    frames for each version.

    But just a minute. Are you saying you want to change the content of this
    master item on every page? If so, you don't want it as a master item in the
    first place.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest