Professional Web Applications Themes

Using old Freehand docs in the future - Macromedia Freehand

I have been using Freehand since v2.0, and over the years we have created many thousands of freehand docs for customers. Most of the early stuff is obsolete, but there are a lot of files in fh3, fh5.x, and fh8. At the moment, I have I 2.0Ghz twin G5 running OS X 10.3.9. This includes "Classic OS" which has my old Freehand 8.01 application. For old docs which dont open into MX 11, I load them into Freehand 8 and re-save so they will load into MX 11. This works quite well. I understand that future Mac's will be Intel ...

  1. #1

    Default Using old Freehand docs in the future

    I have been using Freehand since v2.0, and over the years we have created many
    thousands of freehand docs for customers. Most of the early stuff is obsolete,
    but there are a lot of files in fh3, fh5.x, and fh8. At the moment, I have I
    2.0Ghz twin G5 running OS X 10.3.9. This includes "Classic OS" which has my old
    Freehand 8.01 application. For old docs which dont open into MX 11, I load them
    into Freehand 8 and re-save so they will load into MX 11. This works quite well.

    I understand that future Mac's will be Intel powered, and running OS X 10.5.
    Most people think that it wont support Classic OS. If thats the case, we would
    be unable to run Freehand 8, which in turn results in us not being able to load
    older Freehand docs.

    Now that Adobe are buying Freehand (as they wanted to do back in around 1993),
    we can see a situation whereby future versions of illustrator will open recent
    freehand formats such as v10 and v11, but not anything older. Again, our older
    file's would not open.

    ....both could result in us having a stack of freehand docs which won't open
    into the next version of the software. It has been suggested to us, that we
    load up all our older docs, and re-save them into MX 11 format, so that the
    files have the best chance possible. But there are so many file's! Is it
    possible to automate the procedure - remembering that some files will need
    extra fonts to be installed.

    David

    Davidrjr Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using old Freehand docs in the future

    In article <d9to6f$smv$macromedia.com>,
    "Davidrjr" <com> wrote:

    The best option is usually to keep some legacy macs that will continue
    to run older apps.

    --
    Cheers Martin

    To reply remove the "waste bin".
    Martin Guest

  3. #3

    It may be more feasible to run older versions of FH than the latest MX
    program. MX uses an internet connection to register the application. If
    Adobe pulls the plug on the servers after the meger occurs, you would
    not be able to run the program after a crash or an upgrade where you
    have to reinstall MX.

    dp

    D. Guest

  4. #4

    Davidrjr wrote:

    I can't comment on the future of FreeHand. The Adobe/MM deal has not yet
    been finalized. Last word was that the deal has not yet cleared the
    antitrust regulators at the US Department of Justice.

    For converting older FH files to a newer FH version, you could adapt one one
    of the Applescripts provide by Ian Kelleigh here:

    http://www.freehandsource.com/_frames/_tips/_scripting/scripting_002.html

    I tried the script recently in FHMX on OS X and the converted files saved to
    the same folder as the originals, so that aspect of script needs some
    tweaking.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    I've just opened some FreeHand 4 files in MX, obviously using OSX, when will we be unable to open these older files?
    cartees Guest

  6. #6

    I like Martin's option of keeping legacy Macs for the purpose of opening older
    files. There's so much uncertainty with both pending move of Macs to Intel
    processors and Adobe's acquistion of Macromedia, and God knows what else. Where
    I work we use PCs for our primary application but I keep an old Mac clone
    (Motorola Starmax) running on System 7.6 to do some of the things I can't do on
    the PC and also to be able to save files to Illustrator 6 version because
    Illustrator CS only exports to ai10,ai9, ai8 then skips to ai3 and Japanese
    ai3. Our layout application can't import ai10,9, and 8 and ai 3 is unreliable.
    Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. I usually end up using the Mac to save a
    file to ai6. Also, I recently did all the typesetting and art on the Starmax
    for a $40,000 job account, which was just completed. When this Starmax finally
    conks out, I will go to eBay or to a local garage sale and find a cheap $150
    legacy Mac, which I'll keep around and still use for whatever I need to use it
    for.

    macletosh Guest

  7. #7

    I've had pretty good luck by creating two versions of my files:

    the original freehand file and an EPS file with the fonts converted to paths
    (I've moved to new macs and lost fonts in the move - that killed or shifted
    type).
    This isn't as practical for big doents, but works well for logos, ads and
    single page stuff. I do this a lot for service bureaus and printers anyway,
    since a lot of them have issues with freehand files, then backup the collected
    files. And disk space is cheap now - so are DVDs for backup.

    Be sure to use the "export" feature and include the freehand file in the EPS.
    I've found the "save as . .. ." EPS sometimes drops out the freehand file and
    kills your editability.

    And in a worst case scenario you can drop the EPS files into, dare I say it,
    illustrator . . . and then clean it up. I've used that when a dead freehand
    file converts as a locked file.

    jamie Guest