Professional Web Applications Themes

using old postscript fonts in OS X - Mac Applications & Software

I've got a number of older adobe postscript fonts they came in two files: Woodtype Ornaments 2 file type: FFIL creator : DMOV file size: 14k WoodtOrnTwo file type: LWFN creator : ASPF file size: 42k My understanding is that the first file contains the basic font information and preview information, while the other contains the actual postscript code. Placing the first file (either alone, or with the second file) in ~/Library/Fonts allows it to be used in programs... Is it as simple as this? when do I need the second file? (I've heard that a lot of people have ...

  1. #1

    Default using old postscript fonts in OS X

    I've got a number of older adobe postscript fonts
    they came in two files:
    Woodtype Ornaments 2
    file type: FFIL
    creator : DMOV
    file size: 14k
    WoodtOrnTwo
    file type: LWFN
    creator : ASPF
    file size: 42k

    My understanding is that the first file contains the basic font information
    and preview information, while the other contains the actual postscript code.
    Placing the first file (either alone, or with the second file) in
    ~/Library/Fonts allows it to be used in programs...

    Is it as simple as this? when do I need the second file?
    (I've heard that a lot of people have problems with fonts, so trying to
    keep my eyes open for potential problems and then give them a wide birth)

    Thanks,
    Matt
    Matthew David Hills Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: using old postscript fonts in OS X

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 19:09:55 -0500, Matthew David Hills wrote
    (in message <be7pcj$mrr$1news.Stanford.EDU>):

    > I've got a number of older adobe postscript fonts
    > they came in two files:
    > Woodtype Ornaments 2
    > file type: FFIL
    > creator : DMOV
    > file size: 14k
    That's the bitmapped screen font. If you don't have that, no app is going to
    know you have the font.
    > WoodtOrnTwo
    > file type: LWFN
    > creator : ASPF
    > file size: 42k
    That's the PostScript data, used for printing, and for screen prettifying of
    the bitmap.

    > My understanding is that the first file contains the basic font information
    > and preview information,
    It contains the resources required to show certain specific sizes on screen.
    For example, common font sizes are 9, 10, 12, 14, 18, and 24 point. Most
    bitmap font suitcases when distributed from the vendor contain at least two
    of those sizes. (Some fonts, especially display fonts like Wood Ornaments,
    have larger font sizes, such as 36.) due to the way that fonts were developed
    for the Mac starting with System 1.0, if the bit-mapped font suitcase isn't
    there the system won't see the font, period. (Note that things don't work
    that way with TrueType and/or Open Type fonts, but let's not go into that
    right now.) It was formerly a good idea to have several bitmapped font sizes.
    This has not been a requirement since Adobe Type Manager first was released;
    all you really need is one, if ATM is running. (Or if you're running OS X.)
    If you're _not_ running ATM on a system previous to OS X, proceed to Adobe's
    site and get a copy.
    > while the other contains the actual postscript code.
    Correct.
    > Placing the first file (either alone, or with the second file) in
    >> /Library/Fonts allows it to be used in programs...
    >
    > Is it as simple as this?
    yes.
    > when do I need the second file?
    If you want to print, and if you want to use a font size other than one of
    the sizes in the bitmap and don't want to see jaggies. The PostScript info
    allows the system to scale the fonts properly.

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

    Charles Dyer Guest