Professional Web Applications Themes

Using Open Type Fonts - Adobe Indesign Windows

When I downloaded the trial version of InDesign CS, its font folder was empty. However, when I used the program itself and looked under Type>Font there were numerous fonts listed, apparently just whatever was already on my computer. (I looked in the Windows Fonts folder, and it indeed looks like the same list.) So I created my doent with those fonts. Now that I have the regular version rather than the trial version, I notice the font folder is still empty, but now under Type>Font it lists not only those same ones that were on my computer all along, but ...

  1. #1

    Default Using Open Type Fonts

    When I downloaded the trial version of InDesign CS, its font folder was empty. However, when I used the program itself and looked under Type>Font there were numerous fonts listed, apparently just whatever was already on my computer. (I looked in the Windows Fonts folder, and it indeed looks like the same list.) So I created my doent with those fonts.

    Now that I have the regular version rather than the trial version, I notice the font folder is still empty, but now under Type>Font it lists not only those same ones that were on my computer all along, but the handful of Open Type fonts that come with InDesign. (I notice, though, that those new ones do not show up in my Windows Fonts folder.)

    Iím now supposed to change the fonts in my doent to all Open Type rather than True Type. Most of that shouldnít be too hard, because I used Paragraph and Character styles, so now Iíll just go in and change those and presumably all the corresponding material in the doent itself will change as well.

    What Iíd like to do, though, is delete or disable (temporarily) all the True Type fonts from what InDesign has access to, so that itíll highlight those passages in the doent to warn me that it does not have a font for them. That way itíll be easy to make sure I donít inadvertently leave any True Type material in there as I change over.

    Is there any way to do that, to tell InDesign to alert me if there are any fonts other than Open Type in a given doent?

    (Yes, I'm a newbie to all this by the way, if it isn't obvious.)
    Craig_Gabriel@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using Open Type Fonts

    Actually now that I investigate further, I think I can kind of get at the same thing via another route with that Preflight thing. That lists all the fonts used, so maybe Iíll just use that to double check that I havenít left any True Types in there after I make my changes.
    Craig_Gabriel@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Craig,

    For some reason that completely escapes me, the fonts are installed when
    you install ID to the Adobe\fonts folder which leaves them inaccessable
    to non-Adobe apps.

    FWIW, I don't fonts should be installed by applications at all. They
    should be in a goodies folder on the CD so the user can choose if and
    where they want to install them.

    Search your harddrive for *.otf and you'll find the location of the
    fonts. From there you can move them to your Windows fonts folder.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  4. #4

    Bob_Levine wrote in
    news:0CDC7CF250D0656520B25F6A79378C87in.webx.la2e afNXanI:
    > Search your harddrive for *.otf and you'll find the location of
    > the fonts. From there you can move them to your Windows fonts
    > folder.
    They're in "\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts".

    And just to be clear, by "move them to your Windows fonts folder", Bob
    means you should open the "Fonts" Control Panel applet, select "File ->
    Install New Fonts", and then browse to the "\Program Files\Common Files
    \Adobe\Fonts" folder to choose the fonts you want to install. I
    recommed leaving "Copy fonts to Fonts folder" selected in this dialog.
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I am using InDesign 2.0 for Windows . . . I cannot find any .otf files on my PC except for Kozuka Mincho Std. None of the files that should be installed with InDesign (from my understanding . . .Adobe Garamond Pro, Adobe Caslon Pro, Caflisch Pro, etc), are anywhere to be found. After reading Guy Smiley's posting and this one, I searched my hard drive and found only Kozuka Mincho Std in the InDesign fonts folder, which I then copied to my Fonts folder.

    I have the Educational version . . .could that be why the fonts are missing? I have also read that the fonts should be on the InDesign CD, but I haven't been able to find them there either.

    How can I get these fonts? Thanks!
    Grace_Rodriguez@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    "I have the Educational version . . .could that be why the fonts are missing?"

    As I recall, the educational version of InDesign 2 indeed did not come with the free Western fonts that came with the commercial version. Note that you can purchase Adobe Type Classics for Learning for less than $100 dollars, and thereby obtain all of the fonts included with inDesign 2 plus more.
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Also, the educational version of InDesign CS has all the fonts (unlike the edu version of ID 2).

    Thomas_Phinney@adobeforums.com Guest