Professional Web Applications Themes

Using Photoshop filters -- RGB? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Windows, Illust. CS2 This is acutally a multi-faceted problem, one that I'm running out of time to figure out myself. And I'm sure my printer would rather spend time printing than answering my questions... I'm doing a 24"x28" poster to insert in a floor stand. It won't be printed on the press, rather on an uber-digital printer at the shop. I want the background and text textured, a photoshop effect that only works in RGB. Should I do the effect, then change it back to CMYK for printing? When doing this operation in Ill., the text becomes pixelated. It doesn't ...

  1. #1

    Default Using Photoshop filters -- RGB?

    Windows, Illust. CS2

    This is acutally a multi-faceted problem, one that I'm running out of time to figure out myself. And I'm sure my printer would rather spend time printing than answering my questions...

    I'm doing a 24"x28" poster to insert in a floor stand. It won't be printed on the press, rather on an uber-digital printer at the shop.

    I want the background and text textured, a photoshop effect that only works in RGB. Should I do the effect, then change it back to CMYK for printing? When doing this operation in Ill., the text becomes pixelated. It doesn't do the same thing in Photoshop. Am I correct in doing it in Illustrator? Should I be starting with a textured background photo? Please note that I've got a picture of a biscuit to go on top of the textured parts.

    Also, I'd like the text to be "eroded" so that it looks old and worn. I have the Creative Studio book that suggests using the squiggle, but that's not the look I want. One must be able to do this easily... you see it everywhere.

    Thanks.
    Carey_Hardin@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Using Photoshop filters -- RGB?

    If you change your mode to CMYK, the RBG specific filters won't work, and you won't get the output you want. Rasterize the filteredobjects first, then convert to CMYK. Watch your blacks. Make anything that's black or gray a tint of a swatch, then convert that swatch to 0,0,0,100 after converting mode.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Is this the recommended method to ensure it prints properly?
    Carey_Hardin@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Well, you can stay in RGB, but that's going to get you into more trouble.

    The method I'd use is to make all raster effect exclusively in Photoshop. Keep the Illustrator file in CMYK and link to the PSDs. Convert the PSDs to CMYK using the appropriate profile late in the process, re-link, and Bob's your uncle.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Okay, Scott, I believe I've done what you suggested...

    1. Created text in Ill.
    2. Dragged to PS RGB doent. Applied texture. Added biscuit picture.
    3. Saved as PSD and placed in Illustrator CMYK doc.
    4. Added small tab with drop shadow and bit more text.
    5. Saved as AI... saved again as PDF.
    6. Both files are GINORMOUS (Ill. 98mb, PDF 121mb).

    In reading through these forums I guess this is what I need to do:

    1. Delete any unneeded swatches/styles from appropriate palettes.
    2. Make sure files are linked, not embedded.

    Printer has an ftp site, so file size isn't so much of a problem. But PDF is too large to email to client for proof.

    Can you confirm?

    Thanks,
    Carey
    Carey_Hardin@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Save Illustrator file without PDF compatibility and link images, rather than embed. That'll get the Illustrator file down.

    Save As to make the PDF and turn off Illustrator Editing Fetures. That'll shrink the PDF a smidge.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks. Can you recommend a book that addresses such issues? This seems a really inefficient way to learn.
    Carey
    Carey_Hardin@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    This seems a really inefficient way to learn.

    Carey, you are wrong: asking Scott is a very efficient way to learn.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Tee-hee.
    Carey_Hardin@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Awwww.

    Carey, I haven't really read any books on Illustrator. I hear the Classroom in a Book series is well liked. I also suggest you look for books that are specific to your needs.

    Adobe is selling Illustrator to print and web professionals. Those are two similar markets, but they need very different reults from their graphics programs. Too many boooks are aimed at the injet and pixel market, and too few at the print and press professional.

    Making an image loook like you want it to on your monitor, in a web browser, or on your $90 printer is one thing. Making it look like that in a magazone or on the cover of an Annual Report is a whole 'nother thing.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest