Professional Web Applications Themes

Using SQL statement to find a Candidate Key when given the functional dependencies - MySQL

Hey guys....I am completely lost on this and was hoping to get some input....I need to use an SQL statement to find a candidate when i'm given this set of functional dependencies CD->E, CD->F, A->B, B->F, A-  I know the CK is AD but i have no clue where to even start....any help would be GREATLY appreciated!...

  1. #1

    Default Using SQL statement to find a Candidate Key when given the functional dependencies

    rana.jaber@gmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    On Apr 15, 4:52 pm, Jerry Stuckle <net> wrote: [/ref]

    > OK, I have no idea what you're trying to get across. How about showing
    > us what you're really trying to do?
    >
    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > net
    > ==================[/ref]

    Given that set of functional dependencies, i need to create an sql
    statement that will show what the candidate key is, those were
    instructions handed down

    rana.jaber@gmail.com Guest

  3. #3

    com wrote:

    > I know the CK is AD but i have no clue where to even start....any help
    > would be GREATLY appreciated!
    >[/ref]

    OK, I have no idea what you're trying to get across. How about showing
    us what you're really trying to do?

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address
    Jerry Stuckle
    JDS Computer Training Corp.
    net
    ==================
    Jerry Guest

  4. #4

    com wrote:
    >> OK, I have no idea what you're trying to get across. How about showing
    >> us what you're really trying to do?
    >>
    >> --
    >> ==================
    >> Remove the "x" from my email address
    >> Jerry Stuckle
    >> JDS Computer Training Corp.
    >> net
    >> ==================[/ref]
    >
    > Given that set of functional dependencies, i need to create an sql
    > statement that will show what the candidate key is, those were
    > instructions handed down
    >[/ref]

    I still have no idea what you're doing. Probably because you haven't
    explained the context used, the database schema and a lot of other things.

    As I said - show us what you're really trying to do, not explain in some
    abstract terms.

    --
    ==================

  5. #5

    On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:08:16 -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    > I still have no idea what you're doing. Probably because you haven't
    > explained the context used, the database schema and a lot of other things.
    >
    > As I said - show us what you're really trying to do, not explain in some
    > abstract terms.[/ref]

    I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask a question like that outside of
    an academic setting....

    --
    Christian Biblical literalists are trusting themselves to an archaic English
    translation of a Latin translation of (help me here) Greek? Aramaic? source.

  6. #6

    Peter H. Coffin wrote:
    >> I still have no idea what you're doing. Probably because you haven't
    >> explained the context used, the database schema and a lot of other things.
    >>
    >> As I said - show us what you're really trying to do, not explain in some
    >> abstract terms.[/ref]
    >
    > I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask a question like that outside of
    > an academic setting....
    >[/ref]

    That very well could be. But I still have absolutely no idea what he's
    trying to do.

    I'm willing to help, but he needs to present it in a way people can
    understand. I haven't been on college for well over 30 years.

    --