Professional Web Applications Themes

using ssh to login to mail on OSX - Mac Applications & Software

Andy:P <youcangetmeeudoramail.com> wrote: : At home I am running OSX with the built-in mail app, that my wife is : now getting used to. I want to be able to login in from work to check : email and write any replies. : I was looking at MacSSH (I use OS9 at work) and wondered if it was : possible to install something like PINE at home so I could use the : same email folders at work that I use when sitting at home. For SSH from OS9 I like NiftyTelnet SSH; see VersionTracker. I like this program enough ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: using ssh to login to mail on OSX

    Andy:P <youcangetmeeudoramail.com> wrote:
    : At home I am running OSX with the built-in mail app, that my wife is
    : now getting used to. I want to be able to login in from work to check
    : email and write any replies.

    : I was looking at MacSSH (I use OS9 at work) and wondered if it was
    : possible to install something like PINE at home so I could use the
    : same email folders at work that I use when sitting at home.

    For SSH from OS9 I like NiftyTelnet SSH; see VersionTracker. I like this
    program enough that I run it in Classic on my OS X machines.

    For your question, are you clear where is the mail that you want to see?
    On a mail server? On a mail server on the OS X machine at home? In mailbox
    files maintained by Mail.app?

    I use POP mail clients on different machines and have each one set "Leave
    mail on server for 14 days." That way, all the mail gets to my main
    machine as long as I check mail from that machine every 14 days. Of
    course, I don't have my outgoing mail except on the machine that sent it.

    Alternatively, I use PINE on the (Linux) mail server host for a quick look
    at my mail from anywhere.

    If you want to see the Mail.app folders, perhaps the easiest is vnc which
    has been mentioned here pretty often.

    -- Sally
    --

    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    [email]sshearstheWorld.com[/email] -or- [email]SallyShears.org[/email]

  2. #2

    [email]youcangetmeeudoramail.com[/email] (Andy:P):
    > At home I am running OSX with the built-in mail app, that my wife is
    > now getting used to. I want to be able to login in from work to check
    > email and write any replies.
    > I was looking at MacSSH (I use OS9 at work) and wondered if it was
    > possible to install something like PINE at home so I could use the
    > same email folders at work that I use when sitting at home.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas on this?
    I have seen where people have installed pine on OS X, but it may
    involve more setup than you'd like and may not interact well with
    other e-mail clients (ie OS X Mail) when you are at home. This is the
    unix version, that will want to use sendmail and a local mail server
    rather than POP or IMAP. If you are able to set up pine or other
    command-line email program to work, then yes, you could ssh into the
    Mac and run it.

    A better option is to use a web-based e-mail reader at work; most ISPs
    offer this. Otherwise, you may be able to use a desktop e-mail client
    at work to access your personal e-mail. If your ISP uses POP, set up
    the e-mail program to leave messeges on the server. Then, you'd be
    able to delete the files from your work computer and still be able to
    download them when you get home. However, you will not be able to get
    old messages off the home system. Better yet, if your ISP supports
    imap, then you leave everything on the server and synchronize files
    and folders between multiple desktops and the server. mac.com allows
    this.

    It sounds like you and your wife share the same e-mail and OS X
    accounts. Both of you may be happier if you had your own accounts,
    then you won't need to worry about wiping out her e-mail when you are
    at work or otherwise messing up her user environment.

    -Eric
    Eric Salathe Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for all these replies.

    At home I have OX with the standard Mail.app that POPs all of the mail
    into two folders. I was hoping to be able to SSH into my mac and see
    this mail.

    I have now got PINE working at home and can SSH across an internal
    network, but am given a new set of email folders. There must be a
    better way. For some reason SSH doesn't work from outside the firewall
    (I will check the firewall config.)

    I was hoping to keep all mail on my home mac and just peek into it.
    Squirrelmail looks good but there seems to be a lot to configure.
    Would I have to set my mac-up as an IMAP server?

    Thanks all. I will keep looking.
    andy:p
    Andy:P Guest

  4. #4

    Andy:P <youcangetmeeudoramail.com> wrote:
    : Thank you for all these replies.

    : At home I have OX with the standard Mail.app that POPs all of the mail
    : into two folders. I was hoping to be able to SSH into my mac and see
    : this mail.

    : I have now got PINE working at home and can SSH across an internal
    : network, but am given a new set of email folders. There must be a
    : better way. For some reason SSH doesn't work from outside the firewall
    : (I will check the firewall config.)

    : I was hoping to keep all mail on my home mac and just peek into it.
    : Squirrelmail looks good but there seems to be a lot to configure.
    : Would I have to set my mac-up as an IMAP server?

    Andy, see my other reply.

    Once the mail is in Mail.app on the home machine, I don't think you can
    see it with any other application, except vnc which gives you a remote
    desktop in which you could run Mail.app

    But, if you have each mail client "leave mail on the POP server", you can
    look at it from two places.

    I understand IMAP might do a better job of all this.

    If you want to set up your home mac as an IMAP server, have you thought
    about how to get the mail into that server? I don't think an IMAP server
    will automatically get the mail from the Mail.app folders.

    I suggest you clarify where is the mail going to be when you try to see it
    from your office.

    -- Sally

  5. #5

    In article <be2o55$9a0$1pcls4.std.com>, Sally Shears wrote:
    > Once the mail is in Mail.app on the home machine, I don't think you can
    > see it with any other application, except vnc
    That's definitely not true. Even without running a local imap server,
    it's easy to access Mail.app mail files directly with, say, VM (a
    wonderful mail client that runs in emacs).

    > If you want to set up your home mac as an IMAP server, have you thought
    > about how to get the mail into that server? I don't think an IMAP server
    > will automatically get the mail from the Mail.app folders.
    It could, though not very cleanly. But it will happily get mail from
    files in some other place in his home directory, eg ~/Doents/mail/.
    So once he has the imap server up and running he'll need to move his
    currently stored mail into imap-accessible files. This process can be
    automated with a shell script or done manually with drag-n-drop in
    Mail.app; either way, it's a one time thing and no big deal.

    After the mail is moved, simply use these imap files for storage
    rather than Mall.app's pop-account files, and write a rule which
    automatically redirects newly arriving mail into an imap file. Now
    everything (*) is completely accessible to any imap client, local or
    remote, including Mail.app, though for security reasons I'm not sure
    I'd recommend remote access unless he goes through an ssh tunnel. He
    can even use Mail.app remotely.

    I've been running this way for a couple of years now, and it works
    very well indeed. Aside from the trivial issue of the initial
    one-time move of mail, the only other concern is Mail.app's local
    caching of imap data. Obviously this is a waste of space in this
    case, since the data is already local. Most of the caching can be
    disabled by selecting "Don't keep copies of any messages" in the
    Advanced tab of the local imap account preferences. But mail.app will
    still keep some amoount cached data for each file. Fortunately these
    caches are pretty small.

    (*) By default, Junk, Sent and Drafts won't be accessible to other
    imap clients. If you want them to be, check the appropriate box in
    the Special Mailboxes tab of the preferences for the local imap
    account.

    tristero Guest

  6. #6

    In article <HUdNa.101185$R73.10697sccrnsc04>,
    tristero <tristerowaste.net> wrote:
    >automatically redirects newly arriving mail into an imap file. Now
    >everything (*) is completely accessible to any imap client, local or
    >remote, including Mail.app, though for security reasons I'm not sure
    >I'd recommend remote access unless he goes through an ssh tunnel. He
    >can even use Mail.app remotely.
    No need for a tunnel. Mail.app supports secure IMAP directly, so you just need
    a server which supports it.

    --
    Matthew T. Russotto [email]mrussottospeakeasy.net[/email]
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  7. #7

    Sally Shears <sshearstheWorld.com> wrote in message news:<be2o55$9a0$1pcls4.std.com>...
    > I suggest you clarify where is the mail going to be when you try to see it
    > from your office.
    Sally
    It seems it all getting more complicated than I originally imagined. I
    wanted to hold the email on my home OSX machine so I can have access
    to every email in one place (from anywhere).

    At present I have mail.app working at home and then I log-in from work
    to my ISPs webmail (demon - very basic). I also have an archive of
    Eudora folders that are left from using Eudora on OS9, but I want to
    combine everything together.

    So now I'm not sure which way to go.

    I guess I'm looking for the 'best' way. But thats the question.
    There are quite a few ways being talked about here, so hopefully I can
    find one of them that will work for me.

    Thanks.
    andy:p
    Andy:P Guest

  8. #8

    Andy:P <com> wrote:
    : Sally Shears <com> wrote in message news:<be2o55$9a0$std.com>...

    :> I suggest you clarify where is the mail going to be when you try to see it
    :> from your office.

    : Sally
    : It seems it all getting more complicated than I originally imagined. I
    : wanted to hold the email on my home OSX machine so I can have access
    : to every email in one place (from anywhere).

    : At present I have mail.app working at home and then I log-in from work
    : to my ISPs webmail (demon - very basic). I also have an archive of
    : Eudora folders that are left from using Eudora on OS9, but I want to
    : combine everything together.

    : So now I'm not sure which way to go.

    : I guess I'm looking for the 'best' way. But thats the question.

    Andy, when it starts sounding complicated, it may not be "best" for you.
    In particular, your original idea would require you to have run your own
    mail server and figure out how to get mail to it. If you're up for that,
    fine, if not, see next recommendation:

    The first way to see your ISP-account mail at both locations is:
    - Have a mail client application on both the home and work computers.
    - Make sure your work firewall will let you use a mail client at work
    - Set both mail applications to "leave mail on server" for 14 days.
    - Run a mail client at work and at home, Eudora would do fine, to check
    mail.
    - If you need to have a copy in one location of a mail you've sent from
    the other location, either use IMAP or remember to send yourself a bcc: or
    a cc:

    -- Sally
    --

    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    com -or- org

  9. #9

    I think I'm up for the 'email server at home', I like a challenge,
    not that I always succeed,
    but I just need to be put on the right path.

    As I seem to understand;

    I need to get a copy of the December 2003 development tools from Apple
    (56% downloaded already - 24 hrs later).

    I then need to install Postfix to be able to send email,

    IMAP to allow better folder control, (IMAP needs the Fink tools, I am
    having trouble locating the SSH version in the Fink folders)

    Fink is already installed (without X11 - I don't think I need this, do
    I?)

    then Squirellmail, if I get this far, to give web access,

    do I need Fetchmail to get mail? or does Postfix do this too?

    then I just need to configure my firewall to allow SSH from my office.

    Am I on the right lines?

    Thanks for any help.
    andy:p
    Andy:P Guest

  10. #10

    Tom Stiller <net> wrote in message news:<tomstiller-

    So this will save me from having to install Postfix.

    But I still have to install IMAP - don't I? go on, tell me that the
    last three days worth of downloading the developer tools is for
    nothing.

    andy:p
    Andy:P Guest