Professional Web Applications Themes

Using Suse packages in Redhat Advanced server - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Dear experts, After a long time struggling trying to get Suse to work with shmmax upon booting, I have given up. Even Suse support did not help. They waited a number of weeks, and then finally emailed back that configuring the memory was not covered by their initial support listed on the package. However, if I was willing to pay their astronomical fees, they would make an attempt to fix it. I have now installed Redhat Advanced Server 2.1 on my second computer. However, there were some things that I did notice in the Suse Gui that I liked. One ...

  1. #1

    Default Using Suse packages in Redhat Advanced server

    Dear experts,

    After a long time struggling trying to get Suse to
    work with shmmax upon booting, I have given up.

    Even Suse support did not help. They waited a number
    of weeks, and then finally emailed back that configuring
    the memory was not covered by their initial support listed
    on the package. However, if I was willing to pay their
    astronomical fees, they would make an attempt to fix it.

    I have now installed Redhat Advanced Server 2.1 on my
    second computer.

    However, there were some things that I did notice in
    the Suse Gui that I liked. One was gnome-system-monitor.
    It looks like much Windows task manager, giving
    you a good idea of the CPU and memory usage.

    I went to install this, but it failed, saying that I
    needed a library.

    Is it ok to install any and all Suse packages (including
    libraries) on my Redhat AS 2.1 installation? What potential
    conflicts are there? Do I need to worry about which
    libraries are installed? What about Yast2? Is it ok
    to install that, or is it specific to Suse?

    Thanks
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using Suse packages in Redhat Advanced server

    com wrote:

    Yeah,. the dependency protection, thats reall good to have if you want to
    avoid breaking your system.

    In theory you would end up with a SuSe system again, but in reality you would
    have broke your system a long time before. For each "library" that you install
    from the SuSe system, you will loose the default RedHat library, your Redhat
    application may soon or later stop working, which in the worst case leads to
    that your system will not boot up.

    Installing Yats, is okey as long as it's the one provided from Fedora/RedHat,
    but you need the "Fedoray Legacy RH7.3" pacakges, as everyone else would break
    your system in the same way as installing SuSe libraries.

    What you NEED to do, is to download the sourceRPM, assume you would like to
    have mplayer (this just an example, change to the RPM that you are using), but
    you find only the Mandrake version, then download the
    mplayer-1.0-0.pre2.4mdk.src.rpm
    and now you need GCC installed and header files for those libraries that it
    depends to and then you need to rebuild that package, that is really easy:

    rpmbuild --rebuild mplayer-1.0-0.pre2.4mdk.src.rpm

    This will take a while (the larger package, the longer time it usually takes),
    and hopefully it will build the RPMs fitted for your system, depending on the
    pacakges you have installed. And you would find the finished RPM in

    /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

    In this case we would have the file

    /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/mplayer-1.0-0.pre2.4mdk.i386.rpm

    Of course, the SuSe package may even depdne on something that isn't part of
    redhat, then you need to download the sourceRPM and rebuild that too.

    There are some guys (and maybe even girls, I don't know), who have been quite
    nice and made many new RPMs for RedHat, you can find those at
    http://freshrpms.net, maybe you are lucky and find what you are looking for
    over there in an already compiled version (RH7.3 is the version that is
    closest to your AS 2.1, and won't break your system).

    //Aho

    J.O. Guest

  3. #3

    In alt.os.linux com wrote:

    What's the problem with putting something like this in
    /etc/sysctl.conf, AFAIK SUSE/RH use the same file.

    kernel.shmmax = 33554432

    [..]

    Get/install/run xosview, AFAIR it does even come with RH AS 2.1.
    Check the docs coming in the xosview rpm, for more options.

    Good luck

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 06:29:49 -0800, linuxquestio wrote:

    The safest way is to get the SRPM from SuSE CD, then
    rebuild it for Red Hat. It should be nothing more than
    installing several -devel RPMs and running rpm -bb.
    I did it myself, although not specifically for gnome-process-monitor.

    If you're impatient, try installing everything. Libraries
    should coexist due to versioning. But do not --force installs!
    At worst, if they conflict, you're back to rebuild.

    Another option is to rummage at RPM sites like rpmfind.net
    and get gnome-process-monitor for Red Hat Linux 7.2. It is
    very close binary-wise to AS 2.1. I installed some exotic
    RPMs that way, too.

    -- Pete

    Pete Guest

  5. #5

    On 9 Dec 2003 06:29:49 -0800, com wrote:

    .... no. most suse packages are built to conform to their
    layout and expected libraries and maybe even to the suse
    specific kernel (maybe).

    i would NOT mix-n-match, since eventually, when the system
    become unstable, you'll be back complaining about RHAS :)

    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    -- Oscar Wilde
    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    > After a long time struggling trying to get Suse to
    I run Oracle on my little SuSE 8.2 machine, and I have to set various kernel
    parameters. All I have done is populate /etc/rc.d/boot.local. It looks
    like this:

    hp:/etc/rc.d # cat boot.local
    #! /bin/sh
    #
    # Copyright (c) 2002 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany. All rights reserved.
    #
    # Author: Werner Fink <de>, 1996
    # Burchard Steinbild <de>, 1996
    #
    # /etc/init.d/boot.local
    #
    # script with local commands to be executed from init on system startup
    #
    # Here you should add things, that should happen directly after booting
    # before we're going to the first run level.
    #
    echo 2147483648 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
    echo "65536" > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
    echo 250 32000 100 128 > /proc/sys/kernel/sem

    Buck Guest

  7. #7

    "Pete Zaitcev" <com> wrote in message

    > The safest way is to get the SRPM from SuSE CD, then
    > rebuild it for Red Hat. It should be nothing more than
    > installing several -devel RPMs and running rpm -bb.
    > I did it myself, although not specifically for gnome-process-monitor.[/ref]

    You often also need to edit the .spec files from the SRPM: different
    distributions put their various widgets in different packages, and thus list
    different dependencies. Don't get me *started* on the oddnesses Mandrake did
    to their RPM macros for building stuff....

    Sometimes they also have wildly different names for the packages, which
    leads to extra fun. Getting all the perl widgets for bugzilla, for example,
    turned into a real adventure in renaming packages.

    Why can't the perl authors give their packages meaningful names with
    consistent naming and numbering schemes? Or have the tarball use the same
    name as the actual directory of software it contains?

    Nico Guest

  8. #8

    I investigated how to set shmmax in Suse for many hours. Please see
    my other post:
    How to PERMANENTLY set semaphores in Linux - Suse Personal Edition 8.2

    Perhaps I'll try your solution. But my conclusion is that Redhat
    has a larger critical mass of users. And Oracle certifies with Redhat.
    I expect to only use Redhat soon.

  9. #9

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:53:57 -0800, linuxquestio wrote:

    >> I run Oracle on my little SuSE 8.2 machine, and I have to set various
    >> kernel parameters. All I have done is populate /etc/rc.d/boot.local.
    >> It looks like this:
    >>
    >> hp:/etc/rc.d # cat boot.local
    >> #! /bin/sh
    >> #
    >> # Copyright (c) 2002 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany. All rights
    >> reserved. #
    >> # Author: Werner Fink <de>, 1996 # Burchard
    >> Steinbild <de>, 1996 #
    >> # /etc/init.d/boot.local
    >> #
    >> # script with local commands to be executed from init on system startup
    >> #
    >> # Here you should add things, that should happen directly after booting
    >> # before we're going to the first run level. #
    >> echo 2147483648 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax echo "65536" >
    >> /proc/sys/fs/file-max
    >> echo 250 32000 100 128 > /proc/sys/kernel/sem[/ref][/ref]

    man sysctl

    in SuSE 8.2, there is /etc/init.d/boot.sysctl - looks like you need to
    symlink it into /etc/init.d/boot.d

    --

    phillip brown

    Phillip Guest

  10. #10

    com wrote in news:672ceaed.0312090629.494aeaf1
    posting.google.com:

    they normally recommend you stick with packages meant for your own
    distribution, unless you are an advanced *nix user and very familiar with
    RPM's. but i will try to answer you q's.

    hard to answer. depends. if it doesn't work, you will have to rebuild the
    RPM/port it over. not a basic operation. are you sure RedHat don't have a
    comparable package?

    What potential

    a whole bunch.

    Do I need to worry about which