Professional Web Applications Themes

Using Tiff with Jpeg encoding has caused great quality loss - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

I have recently batch converted 200+ RGB Tiff files so they are Tiff with a Jpeg encoding of 10 - a new feature I had noticed in Photoshop 7.01. The resulting images have unusualy large amounts of artifacts in thier shadow areas, are blurred and seem to have aquired a fine white grid. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks in advance Steve...

  1. #1

    Default Using Tiff with Jpeg encoding has caused great quality loss

    Steve_Drinkwater@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for that info... Looks like its time to bring out Norton Unerase!
    Steve_Drinkwater@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Never Ever use anything with tiff encoding if you want any quality insaving an image.

    Looks like its time to bring out Norton Unerase!

    Norton won't help if you overwrote the file.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    LZW or ZIP endoding is fine and you wont find any loss of quality.

    JPEG's another story.

    ZIP Tiff's may have problems Ripping, but I've seen absolutely no problems with LZW Tiffs on five different Rip packages now.
    JasonSmith@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Never Ever use anything with JPG encoding if you want any quality in saving an image.

    This is what I ment.

    Hadn't had any coffee yet.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Even though it is technically a lossy compression algorithm, JPEG 12 (maximum) provides excellent quality based on my tests and others'. Saves at less than 12 always reduce quality.

    That said, the substantial degradation that you describe suggests that something else went on with those images, because you should not normally see that much change just from a JPEG 10 Save.
    Allen_Wicks@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    99% of the time JPEG is fine here - it's the 1% that can haunt you.

    If there are gradients, that's where an image can really take a hit with JPEG.
    JasonSmith@adobeforums.com Guest