Professional Web Applications Themes

Using Winnt to control VisionFS login - SCO

We have both NT and Unix servers. While the NT box is the PDC, users may telnet to the Unix box to use a cost accounting package. This package generates reports that we want to access from various Windows boxes. By hacking the registry of Win9X and NT one can enable plain text passwords and thus access to VisionFS shares. We found, however, that even when plain text passwords are enabled in Windows XP, these shares are not accessible and have been searching for a way around this problem. In VisionFS, Profedit, one can select how access is controlled through ...

  1. #1

    Default Using Winnt to control VisionFS login

    We have both NT and Unix servers. While the NT box is the PDC, users may
    telnet to the Unix box to use a cost accounting package. This package
    generates reports that we want to access from various Windows boxes. By
    hacking the registry of Win9X and NT one can enable plain text passwords
    and thus access to VisionFS shares. We found, however, that even when plain
    text passwords are enabled in Windows XP, these shares are not accessible
    and have been searching for a way around this problem.

    In VisionFS, Profedit, one can select how access is controlled through
    password control. There are three options, use UNIX password (not
    encrypted), use VisionFS passwords (encrypted), or use a domain server.
    Obviously the first option is not going to work and since I don't want to
    re-enter all the users names and password in VisionFS, the second option is
    out.

    I tried the third option and set it to use the NT server as the source of
    login control. ( VisionFS would not recognize the server name but would
    recognize the IP address of it) This works well to a point, but only for
    users who's NT accounts are set to "user may logon to all workstations". I
    would like to set users accounts to only logon to specific workstations but
    cannot find a way to do this. Apparently NT does not recognize the name of
    the server nor IP address of the server where VisionFS resides.

    Does anyone have any thoughts on how we could set users accounts to logon to
    specific workstations, including the visionFS server?

    Bob Kann Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using Winnt to control VisionFS login

    Bob Kann wrote (on Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 02:39:27PM +0000):
    > We have both NT and Unix servers. While the NT box is the PDC, users may
    > telnet to the Unix box to use a cost accounting package. This package
    > generates reports that we want to access from various Windows boxes. By
    > hacking the registry of Win9X and NT one can enable plain text passwords
    > and thus access to VisionFS shares. We found, however, that even when plain
    > text passwords are enabled in Windows XP, these shares are not accessible
    > and have been searching for a way around this problem.
    >
    > In VisionFS, Profedit, one can select how access is controlled through
    > password control. There are three options, use UNIX password (not
    > encrypted), use VisionFS passwords (encrypted), or use a domain server.
    > Obviously the first option is not going to work and since I don't want to
    > re-enter all the users names and password in VisionFS, the second option is
    > out.
    >
    > I tried the third option and set it to use the NT server as the source of
    > login control. ( VisionFS would not recognize the server name but would
    > recognize the IP address of it) This works well to a point, but only for
    > users who's NT accounts are set to "user may logon to all workstations". I
    > would like to set users accounts to only logon to specific workstations but
    > cannot find a way to do this. Apparently NT does not recognize the name of
    > the server nor IP address of the server where VisionFS resides.
    >
    > Does anyone have any thoughts on how we could set users accounts to logon to
    > specific workstations, including the visionFS server?
    You *may* wish to use Vision passwords after all; Vision has a password wizard
    (visionfs password --wizard) to grab user info from the Unix server.

    By the by, tarantella.com has a Vision support newsgroup, which might give you
    more focused, directed answers to your Vision questions:

    [url]http://www.tarantella.com/newsgroups/thread.php3?name=tarantella.public.vision-family[/url]

    NYZ

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, LLM [email]awacsegps.com[/email]
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law [url]http://yankel.com[/url]
    Economic Group Pension Services [url]http://egps.com[/url]
    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind Guest