    Removed by Administrator
    Jeremy Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    Default Re: Usurping Acrobat drives me nuts

    >I spend most of the last weekend trying to cope with

    No, the *most recently installed* version usurps double-clicks.

    The Mac works by embedding a "type code" and a "creator code" in a file. When
    you double click a file, the Mac searches for an application with the same
    Creator code. As soo n as it finds one, it opens that application.

    If you have many applications that have the same Creator code, the Mac opens
    the first one it sees. This is usually the one installed most recently.

    There are two ways to fix this:

    1. Get out of the habit of double-clicking. Stop opening doents by
    double-clicking on them. (Yes, I know, this is a hard habit to break.) Instead,
    keep aliases of your programs handy. Open a file by dragging the file to the
    alias of the program you'd like to open it with.

    2. If you MUST double-click and you refuse to click-and-drag to open files,
    then you will need to do this:

    - Delete all traces of every version of Acrobat from your system.

    - Rebuild your Desktop. VERY IMPORTANT! If you do not do this, then everything
    is for nothing.

    - Install all your versions of Acrobat again. Install the version you want to
    launch on double-click LAST. (So if you have version 3 and version 5, and you
    want version 3 to launch on double-click, you must install version 5, THEN
    install version 3.)

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  4. #4

    How are you with ResEdit?
    Another possibility (which I used with another app once, not Acrobat):
    Make a copy of Acrobat 4, change its signature to something else.
    Edit its BNDL resource to match. Now Acrobat 4 is a different app
    than Acrobat 5, and can own doents itself.
    Philo Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you for your advice IŽll shurely do the procedure
    next weekend.
    Regards

    Hagen

    Tacit wrote:

    > No, the *most recently installed* version usurps double-clicks.
    >
    > The Mac works by embedding a "type code" and a "creator code" in a file. When
    > you double click a file, the Mac searches for an application with the same
    > Creator code. As soo n as it finds one, it opens that application.
    >
    > If you have many applications that have the same Creator code, the Mac opens
    > the first one it sees. This is usually the one installed most recently.
    >
    > There are two ways to fix this:
    >
    > 1. Get out of the habit of double-clicking. Stop opening doents by
    > double-clicking on them. (Yes, I know, this is a hard habit to break.) Instead,
    > keep aliases of your programs handy. Open a file by dragging the file to the
    > alias of the program you'd like to open it with.
    >
    > 2. If you MUST double-click and you refuse to click-and-drag to open files,
    > then you will need to do this:
    >
    > - Delete all traces of every version of Acrobat from your system.
    >
    > - Rebuild your Desktop. VERY IMPORTANT! If you do not do this, then everything
    > is for nothing.
    >
    > - Install all your versions of Acrobat again. Install the version you want to
    > launch on double-click LAST. (So if you have version 3 and version 5, and you
    > want version 3 to launch on double-click, you must install version 5, THEN
    > install version 3.)
    >
    > --
    > Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    > Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
    > http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/ref]

    Hagen Guest

  6. #6

    In article <aol.com>,
    Tacit <com> wrote:

    None of this is necessary with OS X (Can't speak for OS 9) - you select
    one file of the type you want to open. You press Cmd-I to get its
    info. One of the options is 'open with' which lists the things you can
    open the file with (as well as an opportunity to choose an arbitrary
    program) and another option to make this the default for all files of
    the same type.

    Works like a charm.

    Tim

    Tim Guest

  7. #7

    In article <biijc1$1ir$00$t-online.com>,
    Hagen <de> wrote:

    I didn't either for versions of MS Word.
    So I created a folder in the Apple Menu Items Folder,
    and populated it with aliases of all my text/word processors.
    Now I have a submenu in the Apple menu, or even better,
    open that folder on the desktop,
    select list view,
    drag it to the bottom until it becomes tabbed.

    Now you can drag a doent down to that tab,
    the folder opens, and you can select which application
    you want to drop the doc onto to open with.
    The folder closes to a tab when the app starts.
    Peter Guest

  8. #8

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    I think this may be overkill. I think it may be adequate to just
    Stuff or otherwise hide the apps themselves; then rebuild the
    desktop; then UnStuff or otherwise restore the various apps,
    with the app you want to use coming last.

    Or, delete (or Stuff) just the one app you want to use (the
    _app_ only); then rebuild desktop; then restore that one app.

    AES/newspost Guest

  9. #9

    Hagen <de> wrote:
     [/ref]

    If you are not familiar with ResEdit, you are being advised to play with
    very dangerous tools! Be SURE to use a copy of the application!!!!

    However, here's what you do:

    Launch ResEdit.

    Open the COPY of Acrobat 4 with it.

    Look for a resource called BNDL (they're listed alphabetically).

    Open it, then open the entry in it (double-clicking will do). (The line
    should read 128 84. If there's more than one line, you're in trouble -
    and I'm out of my depth)

    You should see a window open showing pretty icons, and at the top a box
    labelled Signature: and containing CARO

    Change CARO to something else, that NOBODY is likely to think of.

    Save, Close and quit ResEdit.

    Be prepared for all hell to break loose! For example, you may not be
    able to open Acrobat doents with your modified copy. I've no idea,
    and I'm not going to try it!

    --
    Beware the SPAMblock - if your mailer doesn't see my Reply-To:, use
    john at yclept dot freeserve dot co dot uk

  10. #10

    In article <1g0e9p9.vo2ezv1eh5t46N%invalid>, John Hill
    <invalid> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > If you are not familiar with ResEdit, you are being advised to play with
    > very dangerous tools! Be SURE to use a copy of the application!!!!
    >
    > However, here's what you do:
    >
    > Launch ResEdit.
    >
    > Open the COPY of Acrobat 4 with it.
    >
    > Look for a resource called BNDL (they're listed alphabetically).
    >
    > Open it, then open the entry in it (double-clicking will do). (The line
    > should read 128 84. If there's more than one line, you're in trouble -[/ref]

    The "84" doesn't matter, that second number is just the size of the
    resource.

    Those directions changed the BNDL, but you still have to change the
    signature of the file itself. While Acrobat 4 is still open in
    ResEdit, choose Edit > Get Info for..., and change the Creator: box to
    match your new signature.

    I think if you uncheck "Inited" while you are here, that will cause the
    Finder to look at this file anew when you close it. If not, rebuild
    your desktop to get the Finder to take notice.

    You should be able to open Acrobat doents with either the changed
    Acrobat 4 or any of the original Acrobats. To assign a doent to
    this new app, change ITS creator to your new code. (Doents don't
    have BNDL resources, but you can still "Get Info" on them in ResEdit...
    but there are also other utilities to change the owner code of a file.)
    Philo Guest

  11. #11

    Hello Tacit,

    high time to say thank you for you suggestion.
    The Mac assigns the opening of a file to a
    specific version of a programme only if it was
    the last installed and the desktop has been rebuilt.

    The crucial step I missed all the time was simply
    rebuilding the desktop, thus the numerous re-installs
    had no effect.

    The proper steps were:

    1. Installing the newest bloated Acrobat for emergencies
    where it is needed. Restart.

    2. Install Acrobat 3 or 4, restart and REBUILD the desktop afterwards.

    Acrobat 3 now opens every PDF and simply in no time.

    Thanks for your help

    Hagen

    Hagen Guest