Professional Web Applications Themes

V8 support for db2split - IBM DB2

I don't yet have V8 installed, but I've been told that db2split is no longer supported. As I use db2split to partition input data to pass to update programs running in parallel across all nodes, it serves a critical function. Re-engineering my parallel update process to use db2atld in place of db2split will involve quite a few changes. I saw a newsgroup note earlier that indicated someone had successfully used db2split to partition data to be loaded in an MDC. This raises the question of whether I had accurate information on availability of continued support for db2split. Can someone from ...

  1. #1

    Default V8 support for db2split

    I don't yet have V8 installed, but I've been told that db2split is no
    longer supported. As I use db2split to partition input data to pass
    to update programs running in parallel across all nodes, it serves a
    critical function. Re-engineering my parallel update process to use
    db2atld in place of db2split will involve quite a few changes.

    I saw a newsgroup note earlier that indicated someone had successfully
    used db2split to partition data to be loaded in an MDC. This raises
    the question of whether I had accurate information on availability of
    continued support for db2split.

    Can someone from the Toronto lab address the question of whether
    db2split is or is not supported? Even assuming it is, will support
    for it be pulled in a near-term release? Also, back with DB2 PE, the
    source to db2split was included. Is there anyway to get a copy of the
    source now?

    Regards,
    Nate Eaton
    Nate Eaton Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: V8 support for db2split

    I believe the db2split functionality has been consolidated into the Load
    utility. See the V8 Data Movement Utilities Guide:

    "In a partitioned database, large amounts of data are located across many
    partitions. Partitioning keys are used to determine on which database
    partition each portion of the data resides. The data must be partitioned
    before
    it can be loaded at the correct database partition. When loading tables in
    partitioned database environment, the load utility can:
    - Partition input data in parallel.
    - Load data simultaneously on corresponding database partitions.
    - Transfer data from one system to another system."

    "The db2atld utility referred to a splitter and a split file (the output
    of the
    splitter). The equivalent when using the LOAD command is the partitioning
    agent and the partition file. Also, when using the LOAD command we refer
    the data file being partitioned not split. The load modes and
    configuration
    options are named to reflect this change. For example, where the
    AutoLoader
    had the SPLIT_ONLY mode and the SPLIT_NODES option, the LOAD
    command now has the PARTITION_ONLY mode and the
    PARTITIONING_DBPARTNUMS option."

    Hope this helps.

    Larry Edelstein

    Nate Eaton wrote:
    > I don't yet have V8 installed, but I've been told that db2split is no
    > longer supported. As I use db2split to partition input data to pass
    > to update programs running in parallel across all nodes, it serves a
    > critical function. Re-engineering my parallel update process to use
    > db2atld in place of db2split will involve quite a few changes.
    >
    > I saw a newsgroup note earlier that indicated someone had successfully
    > used db2split to partition data to be loaded in an MDC. This raises
    > the question of whether I had accurate information on availability of
    > continued support for db2split.
    >
    > Can someone from the Toronto lab address the question of whether
    > db2split is or is not supported? Even assuming it is, will support
    > for it be pulled in a near-term release? Also, back with DB2 PE, the
    > source to db2split was included. Is there anyway to get a copy of the
    > source now?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nate Eaton
    Larry Guest

  3. #3

    Larry <lsedelsus.ibm.com> wrote in message news:<3F606C2C.C5098B82us.ibm.com>...
    > I believe the db2split functionality has been consolidated into the Load
    > utility. See the V8 Data Movement Utilities Guide:
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Larry Edelstein
    Actually, the db2split functionality was rolled into the db2atld
    utility in V7 (or V6?) but db2split was still provided. Since that's
    the case, I could do the development now (without moving to V8) to
    change from using db2split to autoloader but I'd rather not if I don't
    have to. Using autoloader (or the V8 load statement) would not only
    require changes to my code, but it would have an impact on developers:
    they can run the parallel update process without any special authority
    but if I rewrite to use db2atld they have to a) have load authority
    and b) have to either enter a password each time or use a .rhosts file
    (an security violation in the environment in which I work). In
    addition, I'd have to alter split config files to add a db2 load
    statement (that doesn't actually execute in split mode) in place of
    the partition statement that db2split uses.

    Even if db2split really is going away, I'd consider taking the source
    to it over having to revise my parallel update process - all db2split
    does is call the partitioning API with input data based on parameters
    in a config file. Too bad I didn't hang on to the code when I had it
    (they used to distribute it with DB2 Parallel Edition).

    Thanks for the feedback, Larry.

    Regards,
    Nate Eaton

    > Nate Eaton wrote:
    >
    > > I don't yet have V8 installed, but I've been told that db2split is no
    > > longer supported. As I use db2split to partition input data to pass
    > > to update programs running in parallel across all nodes, it serves a
    > > critical function. Re-engineering my parallel update process to use
    > > db2atld in place of db2split will involve quite a few changes.
    > >
    > > I saw a newsgroup note earlier that indicated someone had successfully
    > > used db2split to partition data to be loaded in an MDC. This raises
    > > the question of whether I had accurate information on availability of
    > > continued support for db2split.
    > >
    > > Can someone from the Toronto lab address the question of whether
    > > db2split is or is not supported? Even assuming it is, will support
    > > for it be pulled in a near-term release? Also, back with DB2 PE, the
    > > source to db2split was included. Is there anyway to get a copy of the
    > > source now?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Nate Eaton
    Nate Eaton Guest

  4. #4

    Larry wrote in message news:<3F606C2C.C5098B82us.ibm.com>...
    > I believe the db2split functionality has been consolidated into the Load
    > utility. See the V8 Data Movement Utilities Guide:
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Larry Edelstein
    Actually, the db2split functionality was rolled into the db2atld
    utility in V7 (or V6?) but db2split was still provided. Since that's
    the case, I could do the development now (without moving to V8) to
    change from using db2split to autoloader but I'd rather not if I don't
    have to. Using autoloader (or the V8 load statement) would not only
    require changes to my code, but it would have an impact on developers:
    they can run the parallel update process without any special authority
    but if I rewrite to use db2atld they have to a) have load authority
    and b) have to either enter a password each time or use a .rhosts file
    (an security violation in the environment in which I work). In
    addition, I'd have to alter split config files to add a db2 load
    statement (that doesn't actually execute in split mode) in place of
    the partition statement that db2split uses.

    Even if db2split really is going away, I'd consider taking the source
    to it over having to revise my parallel update process - all db2split
    does is call the partitioning API with input data based on parameters
    in a config file. Too bad I didn't hang on to the code when I had it
    (they used to distribute it with DB2 Parallel Edition).

    Thanks for the feedback, Larry.

    Regards,
    Nate Eaton

    PS. Please pardon my duplicate request. The email address I
    originally posted with has already received spam so I've requested
    that my other posts be removed.

    > Nate Eaton wrote:
    >
    > > I don't yet have V8 installed, but I've been told that db2split is no
    > > longer supported. As I use db2split to partition input data to pass
    > > to update programs running in parallel across all nodes, it serves a
    > > critical function. Re-engineering my parallel update process to use
    > > db2atld in place of db2split will involve quite a few changes.
    > >
    > > I saw a newsgroup note earlier that indicated someone had successfully
    > > used db2split to partition data to be loaded in an MDC. This raises
    > > the question of whether I had accurate information on availability of
    > > continued support for db2split.
    > >
    > > Can someone from the Toronto lab address the question of whether
    > > db2split is or is not supported? Even assuming it is, will support
    > > for it be pulled in a near-term release? Also, back with DB2 PE, the
    > > source to db2split was included. Is there anyway to get a copy of the
    > > source now?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Nate Eaton
    Nate Eaton Guest