Professional Web Applications Themes

Validating a linux installation? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Recently I spent several weeks upgrading some of my libraries so I could install updated versions of gnome, kde etc. The one this I discovered was how difficult it is to do it by hand and get everything right. After I have finished I found some software incorrectly found libraries they shoudln't have and made dependencies on libraries that where long ago updated. I am no expert in Linux but what would be a great tool would be package that: 1 - checked all the libraries to see of their dependencies exist. I would think that you could do this ...

  1. #1

    Default Validating a linux installation?

    Recently I spent several weeks upgrading some of my libraries so I
    could install updated versions of gnome, kde etc. The one this I
    discovered was how difficult it is to do it by hand and get everything
    right.

    After I have finished I found some software incorrectly found
    libraries they shoudln't have and made dependencies on libraries that
    where long ago updated.

    I am no expert in Linux but what would be a great tool would be
    package that:

    1 - checked all the libraries to see of their dependencies exist. I
    would think that you could do this by finding +x files and executing
    ldd then taking the results and checking the existence- something like
    this
    find /usr/ %m+x -exec ldd {} | check_for_file \;

    2 - Checked all the headers files to see if they point to something
    that exists
    3 - checked dangling symlinks

    I am thinking someone has already thought of this and has developed a
    little perl/bash script to do such a thing?

    Anyone with ideas?

    thanks
    dn
    Doug Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Validating a linux installation?

    Doug Nichols wrote:

    Many linux distributions come with package managers which handle this
    portion of system maintenance for you (though some work better than
    others). This is one of those "your mileage may vary" situations.

    -Nick

    Nick Guest

  3. #3

    Doug Nichols <com> wrote:

    Sure. This is common as dirt.

    Look for "binstats".

    #!/bin/bash
    # -*- sh -*-

    # binstats - a Linux/i386 utility to find the number and identity of a.out
    # 1.00 and ELF binaries, plus their debugging symbols status, setuid
    # status and dynamic library dependence. The number of shell
    # and perl scripts are counted. Also it looks for any duplicated
    # executable name, unused libraries, binaries with missing
    # libraries and statically linked binaries.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  4. #4

    P.T. Breuer <it.uc3m.es> wrote:

    [..]

    [..]

    Thx for the tip!

    Looks as if you would use a pretty old version:
    $ binstats -v
    binstats-1.08

    ;)

    Integrity of all installed rpm packages can be checked with something
    like this:

    $ for rpm in `rpm -qa`; do echo -e "\n$rpm\n" && rpm -V $rpm;done

    (It doesn't look for missing libs though)

    Regards

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    Michael Heiming <michael+heiming.de> wrote in message news:<heiming.de>...

    > [..]

    > Thx for the tip!
    >
    > Looks as if you would use a pretty old version:
    > $ binstats -v
    > binstats-1.08
    >
    > ;)
    >
    > Integrity of all installed rpm packages can be checked with something
    > like this:
    >
    > $ for rpm in `rpm -qa`; do echo -e "\n$rpm\n" && rpm -V $rpm;done
    >
    > (It doesn't look for missing libs though)
    >
    > Regards[/ref]

    This is great! Thanks everyone who responded. I have been slowly
    removing the rpm's so I am not really using rpm anymore, otherwise rpm
    would be a great option- I am trying to install/compile each package
    from scratch. binstats seems to do exactly what I want.

    thanks again.
    dn
    Doug Guest

  6. #6

    "Doug Nichols" <com> wrote in message

    If you discard package management, expect problems when updating. Tools like
    "tripwire" can help detect changes in critical files, and tools like "epkg"
    can help you keep multiple versions of newly-built software online and
    switch from one to the other as needed.

    But if you're going to work in the RPM-based world, I strongly urge you to
    build your own SRPM's (which is fairly easy) and use those to install and
    uninstall packages. This will ease package verification and update
    procedures.

    Nico Guest