Professional Web Applications Themes

[VCD] Making VCD of photos - Mac Applications & Software

How can I make a VCD of photos I have? Which app should I use, and how? I have Toast 5.2.1 TIA...

  1. #1

    Default [VCD] Making VCD of photos

    How can I make a VCD of photos I have?

    Which app should I use, and how?

    I have Toast 5.2.1

    TIA
    MatFox Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: [VCD] Making VCD of photos

    In article <1fy3stc.1x02cda5h7fygN%MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> , MatFox
    <MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> wrote:
    > How can I make a VCD of photos I have?
    >
    > Which app should I use, and how?
    >
    > I have Toast 5.2.1

    If you have Toast (and iPhoto), you're golden. Just create a slideshow
    in iPhoto and Export it to QuickTime (choosing 640x480 resolution).
    Take the .mov file that gets exported and drop it on Toast's VideoCD
    window (choose VideoCD from the Other button popup menu). Toast will
    convert the movie to VCD-compatible MPEG-1 and then you can burn it to
    disc.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    > If you have Toast (and iPhoto), you're golden. Just create a slideshow
    > in iPhoto and Export it to QuickTime (choosing 640x480 resolution).
    > Take the .mov file that gets exported and drop it on Toast's VideoCD
    > window (choose VideoCD from the Other button popup menu). Toast will
    > convert the movie to VCD-compatible MPEG-1 and then you can burn it to
    > disc.
    Cool, everything works, you are my VCD man! :-)))

    Just 2 things: the original .mov has the photos fading into each other,
    while the .mpeg create by Toast has no fading between each photo;
    The resulting quality of the .mpg is quite lower, compared to the
    original .mov.

    Is there a way to avoid this loss of quality and lack of fading?

    TIA
    MatFox Guest

  4. #4

    In article <1fy3w2q.g60qzcwg1jmcN%MatteoXYZ1963excite.it>, MatFox
    <MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> wrote:
    > sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > If you have Toast (and iPhoto), you're golden. Just create a slideshow
    > > in iPhoto and Export it to QuickTime (choosing 640x480 resolution).
    > > Take the .mov file that gets exported and drop it on Toast's VideoCD
    > > window (choose VideoCD from the Other button popup menu). Toast will
    > > convert the movie to VCD-compatible MPEG-1 and then you can burn it to
    > > disc.
    > Cool, everything works, you are my VCD man! :-)))
    >
    > Just 2 things: the original .mov has the photos fading into each other,
    > while the .mpeg create by Toast has no fading between each photo;
    > The resulting quality of the .mpg is quite lower, compared to the
    > original .mov.
    >
    > Is there a way to avoid this loss of quality and lack of fading?
    >
    > TIA
    Well, you could try a different encoder, such as mencoder or mpeg2enc,
    both of which are part of the ffmpegX suite. This might or might not
    help, but VCD is only roughly VHS quality -- it won't compare to the
    DVD-quality file you started with.

    Feed ffmpegX the .mov file and choose VCD (NTSC) from the Presets popup
    at the bottom of the window. ffmpegX will launch Terminal and call the
    unix command line utilities to do the conversion.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    MatFox Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    [email]MatteoXYZ1963excite.it[/email] (MatFox) wrote:
    > Just 2 things: the original .mov has the photos fading into each
    > other, while the .mpeg create by Toast has no fading between each
    > photo; The resulting quality of the .mpg is quite lower, compared to
    > the original .mov.
    >
    > Is there a way to avoid this loss of quality and lack of fading?
    You might be able to get slightly better quality with other tools, but
    not much, since VCD resolution is only 352x240. (The reason you start
    by making a 640x480 .MOV is that it allows the MPEG encoder to do a
    better job of scaling to the final resolution.)

    SVCD is supposed to allow higher quality video and/or stills, but I
    haven't tried making SVCDs yet. There's an article on how to do it in
    the July 2003 MacAddict.
    Wayne C. Morris Guest

  7. #7

    Wayne C. Morris <wayne.morristhis.is.invalid> wrote:

    > You might be able to get slightly better quality with other tools, but
    > not much, since VCD resolution is only 352x240. (The reason you start
    > by making a 640x480 .MOV is that it allows the MPEG encoder to do a
    > better job of scaling to the final resolution.)
    ok.
    > SVCD is supposed to allow higher quality video and/or stills, but I
    > haven't tried making SVCDs yet. There's an article on how to do it in
    > the July 2003 MacAddict.
    I guess it definitely does, but my DVD player doesn't play SVCDs; I have
    created one and inserted in the DVD but the display says: can't play.

    MatFox Guest

  8. #8

    In article <1fy3stc.1x02cda5h7fygN%MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> ,
    [email]MatteoXYZ1963excite.it[/email] (MatFox) wrote:
    > How can I make a VCD of photos I have?
    Check chapter "How can I make a slideshow" in

    <http://www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/SVCD_on_a_Macintosh.txt>

    ciao,

    --
    Matti Haveri <mattiDOThaveriATsjokiDOTutaeiroskaaDOTfi> remove ei roskaa
    Matti Haveri Guest

  9. #9

    AES/newspost wrote:

    > Helps make up for all the s you encounter if you read newsgroups
    > much at all.
    You're obviously frequenting the wrong groups.

    ;-)

    --
    David Kennedy

    [url]http://www.anindianinexile.com[/url]

    David Kennedy Guest

  10. #10

    Looks like you'll be able to do this pretty easily in Toast 6!
    [url]http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/07/18/toast6/[/url]

    And even get SVCD and DVD.
    > How can I make a VCD of photos I have?
    >
    > Which app should I use, and how?