Professional Web Applications Themes

Vector or Raster, how can you tell? - Macromedia Freehand

I should probably know the answer to this question, but I just don't. Could someone please tell me how to tell if an image is vector or raster? I understand what the difference between the two is, vector is lines and raster is pixels, but... How can you tell the difference on screen Also, from everything I've learned so far, vector is great because you can enlarge an image to any size without becoming pixelated' however, when I created my logo as a vector image and then proceeded to print it the edges came out very jaggedy and looked horrible ...

  1. #1

    Default Vector or Raster, how can you tell?

    I should probably know the answer to this question, but I just don't. Could
    someone please tell me how to tell if an image is vector or raster? I
    understand what the difference between the two is, vector is lines and raster
    is pixels, but... How can you tell the difference on screen

    Also, from everything I've learned so far, vector is great because you can
    enlarge an image to any size without becoming pixelated' however, when I
    created my logo as a vector image and then proceeded to print it the edges came
    out very jaggedy and looked horrible compared to the raster version of the
    logo. Why is that?

    SHale10 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Vector or Raster, how can you tell?

    SHale10 wrote:

    A quick way to check is to change the view from preview to keyline. Any
    bitmaps will show up as a box with an "x" stretching from corner to corner.

    For the second question, what were you printing out the logo on?
    Wes Guest

  3. #3

    SHale10 wrote:

    Did you add an RGB Raster Effect (shadow, glow, emboss, etc.) to your nice
    vector logo? If you did, you effectively rasterized it. When printing from
    FHMX, go to File > Doent Settings > Raster Effects Settings and boost the
    ppi.

    That said, if you're designing a logo for a wide range of uses, do not use
    Raster Effects. Raster Effects scale badly in other applications, will print
    unpredictably to CMYK and black print (such as newspapers) and cannot be
    used with spot inks.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, I did add a glow and bevel the edges . The logo consists of three sqares
    (rotated 45 degrees, so diamonds I suppose), and then text. The three squares
    are beveled around the edges to give a 3D appearance and the text is beveled as
    well to give it a 3D appearance also. I know there are logos out there with
    beveling and ect., do you know of any other way to acheive this look without
    "rastarizing" the image?:confused;

    SHale10 Guest

  5. #5

    SHale10 wrote:

    You can build vector bevels with gradients or blends.

    What will the logo be used for? How will it be reproduced and printed?
    Printed stationery, brochures, posters, print ads? Signs? T-shirts? Mugs?
    Packaging? Decals? How many ink colors is your client willing to pay for?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  6. #6

    The logo will be used for pretty much everything, especially posters, ads, and
    brochures. I suppose they're willing to pay for however many colors it takes
    because they're not wiling to change the logo. I'm pretty new with Freehand,
    so how do you use "blends" and "gradients" to achieve this desired 3D or
    beveled effect?

    SHale10 Guest

  7. #7

    SHale10 wrote:

    If you look at the Pontiac logo, for example, each of the four gray sides is
    a polygon filled with a gradient. The center red panel is two polygons

    http://www.courtesypontiac.com/images/PontiacLogo.gif

    Ian Kelleigh has many useful tutorials on his site, FreeHand Source:

    http://www.freehandsource.com/

    Go into the Graphic Tips archive and look for these tips:

    Blending Gradient Fills

    Creating Aqua Style Buttons

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  8. #8

    Awesome, Thanks you SOOOOO much!!!!!!!!! :)
    SHale10 Guest