Professional Web Applications Themes

Vector output for indesign using photoshop files - Adobe Indesign Windows

ok (I am using the CS suite) so I have vector shapes in my photoshop files, be it text or just shapes. I place the psd into the indesign file and create a PDF via canned PDF maker for indesign and try it with acrobat distiller. Everytime I get the same thing, the vector information in the psd's are now raster info (what should be clean type is now pixel information). What is happening. I have trying adjusting the settings everywhere, it seems like a glitch but I could be missing a pref somewhere that I don't know about. Everything ...

  1. #1

    Default Vector output for indesign using photoshop files

    ok (I am using the CS suite)

    so I have vector shapes in my photoshop files, be it text or just shapes. I place the psd into the indesign file and create a PDF via canned PDF maker for indesign and try it with acrobat distiller. Everytime I get the same thing, the vector information in the psd's are now raster info (what should be clean type is now pixel information). What is happening. I have trying adjusting the settings everywhere, it seems like a glitch but I could be missing a pref somewhere that I don't know about. Everything works fine when I us Quark and print to distiller with photoshop EPS files in there. Should I just be using EPS files when I want my text to show up with it's vector info? Because I also noticed that when I preflight my indesign doent with the psd file in there, no fonts show up as being embedded. Coincidence? Help would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers :)
    Graeme_McCormack@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Save your Photoshop file as PDF from Photoshop (don't print to
    postscript--use file>save as and select PDF).

    Save with fonts embedded, vector data retained but turn off layers.
    Place that in your ID doent and use file>export to create your PDF
    from InDesign.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Robert is correct. Only Photoshop PDF and Photoshop EPS work to save vector information and editable text from Photoshop to place in a layout. PSD, TIFF, etc. always turn it to a bitmap.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Okay, you guys are great! I guess I assumed that the wonderful ability for indesign to import psd was just to good to be true. Thus comes my next question. How come it doesn't keep the vector information. I have yet to experiment with this, as I was primarily a quark user, but does this also mean that it will not import colour information aswell,. it will just flatten everything? Why is this the case is my second question. However the former questions is a little more important.

  5. #5

    My answer is a very strong "I don't know." I also don't care. I simply
    use PDF.

  6. #6

    Photoshop (PSD) files imported in InDesign will carry everything except
    vectors. For now, the only way to preserve vectors from Photoshop is to
    print directly from Photoshop, save as EPS (similar to printing PS) or save
    as PDF. That includes color information as well as layers.

    Why? ... Well Adobe just hasn't fixed that yet. I would expect to see that
    in future versions. So, as Bob said, just save as PDF and be happy your
    pagelayout program can support vectors from Photoshop in that fashion, as
    well as unflattened native PSD files.

    Larry

    Larry_Grohman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    > Save with fonts embedded, vector data retained but turn off layers.
    > Place that in your ID doent and use file>export to create your PDF
    > from InDesign.
    Note that you don't *have* to turn off layers (if the filesize of the
    PDF isn't a concern to you); if you retain the layers you can open the
    PSD back into Photoshop with all the layers preserved and editable.

    Also, be aware that sometimes these PDFs placed into InDesign can
    sometimes take a while to spool to the printer - I had one file where
    the client included 15 or 20 text layers, plus one raster background
    layer. This file, saved as a PDF and placed into InDesign CS, took
    almost ten minutes to print.

    Brian

    Brian Guest