I know this thread hasn't been updated in a year, but I just wanted to
add a note here. I had the same exact issue, and stumbled across this
thread and there was no real resolution posted.

The solution to my issue which caused these symptoms was that my ONBAR
process wasn't being run by the Informix user. I was using NetBackup to
run my backup script on the DB server as these people were, but that
would all get kicked off as ROOT. All I had to do was su to informix in
the script before I ran the backup. Then all worked.

-- M