Professional Web Applications Themes

Verizon's EVDO and FreeBSD - FreeBSD

Welll... Yes... The EVDO system technically DOES work on FREEBSD... BUT.. You have to personally modify the Old Open Source Mac driver to do it... OR.. Just mod the Linux driver... Tell you what... Since I don't have a copy... If anyone does this... And gets me a working driver ... I will get you a FREE EVDO card... And 3 free months of service... Lemme know.. X---------------- Robert Kim, Verizon Wireless Agent (TM) [url]http://EVDO-Coverage.com[/url] 2611 S Pacific Coast Highway 101 Cardiff by the Sea CA 92007 206 984 0880 >>> "Internet Service Is ONLY Broadband with Broadband Customer Service"(tm) ...

  1. #1

    Default RE: Verizon's EVDO and FreeBSD

    ---Shalommmmmmmm-------
    ----------------;-)----

  2. #2

    Robert,

    Hmm - The Mac source (I assume your talking Mac OS X) would probably
    be the best to start with. It might be a very easy port to whatever
    version of FreeBSD was used for the version of Mac OS X you wrote the
    driver for. FreeBSD 3.X was used as the base for the original merge
    of Next code. I don't know how much divergence there's been since then.
    If your lucky with little effort a FreeBSD 3.5 or early 4.x driver might
    be had. With a bit more effort that could be ported to the current
    FreeBSD source tree.

    Are you sure that the EVDO card doesen't use an off-the-shelf
    ethernet or wireless controller chip already?

    Is there a URL for the Mac driver source code?

    Ted

    Ted Mittelstaedt Guest

  3. #3

    On Feb 17, 2005, at 2:03 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
    > Robert,
    >
    > Hmm - The Mac source (I assume your talking Mac OS X) would probably
    > be the best to start with. It might be a very easy port to whatever
    > version of FreeBSD was used for the version of Mac OS X you wrote the
    > driver for.
    Mac OS X is not based on FreeBSD. It has a BSD user layer and
    compatibility layer and they DO use the FreeBSD userland for their own,
    but the driver level is MUCH different.

    Chad

    Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC Guest

  4. #4

    Whoah there Chad! Please refer to the following website, guy!:

    [url]http://developer.apple.com/doentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/OSX_Technology[/url]
    _Overview/index.html

    Note the following statement there:

    "...Beneath the appealing, easy-to-use interface of Mac OS X is a
    rock-solid,
    UNIX-based foundation called Darwin that is engineered for stability,
    reliability,
    and performance. Darwin integrates a number of technologies, most
    importantly Mach 3.0,
    operating-system services based on FreeBSD 5,
    --------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > It has a BSD user layer and
    > compatibility layer and they DO use the FreeBSD userland for
    > their own,
    No, a lot more than that, see Darwin.
    > but the driver level is MUCH different.

    I know that, but that is today, not yesterday. Bob stated the "old open
    source"
    driver, I took that to mean a version 1.0 driver released for the first
    ever
    version of MacOS X. I didn't know this card and service was a new thing.

    Ted

    Ted Mittelstaedt Guest

  5. #5

    On Feb 18, 2005, at 12:50 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]
    Yes, there is a BSD personality mode that offers (some) kernel services
    use BSD APIs. This is so the userland works right and sees what it
    expects. And so that BSD style sys utils like sysctl will work and
    stuff. Still a layer on top of a totally different architecture.

    >> but the driver level is MUCH different.
    >>

    > I know that, but that is today, not yesterday. Bob stated the "old
    > open
    > source"
    > driver, I took that to mean a version 1.0 driver released for the first
    > ever
    > version of MacOS X.
    Even if it was an old driver made for the first ever version of MacOS
    X, the driver level interfaces are much different so I don't see much
    how it would help you.

    Mind you, I have not written a driver for OS X or FreeBSD, but the
    opposite question often comes up on some OS X forums/lists I read...

    best regards
    Chad

  6. #6

    Hi Robert and Mikhail,

    Mikhail, make sure the following is in your kernel configuration
    file and recompile the kernel, then post the dmesg output. This
    should get your card recognized although it probably isn't going to
    be recognized as a modem. But if we see the dmesg output there might
    be enough info to suggest a mod to get it recognized as a modem:

    device ohci
    # General USB code (mandatory for USB)
    device usb
    # Generic USB device driver
    device ugen
    # USB modem support
    device umodem
    # USB com devices
    device ucom
    device uplcom
    device uvscom
    device uftdi
    # debugging options for the USB subsystem
    #
    options USB_DEBUG

    Ted

    Ted Mittelstaedt Guest

  7. #7

    > Hi Robert and Mikhail,
    >
    > Mikhail, make sure the following is in your kernel configuration
    > file and recompile the kernel, then post the dmesg output. This should
    > get your card recognized although it probably isn't going to be
    > recognized as a modem. But if we see the dmesg output there might be
    > enough info to suggest a mod to get it recognized as a modem:
    Wait, I don't a card yet :-) I was just trying to find out, whether I
    should bother obtaining one...

    Ted, would you take Robert's offer for the benefit of FreeBSD users (and
    that of Verizon)? Assuming, Robert is willing to loan the card first, of
    course :-)

    -mi
    Mikhail Teterin Guest

  8. #8

    Ted, Mi,

    Sure.. I've got one extra that I normally rent out... But if you guys
    would like... I can mail it to one of you and just pass it on to the
    next guy in a week... In fact.. .why don't we just create a loaner
    schedule... Who wants to go first?

    The card is live... And is costing me $79/m so if you'd like a $15
    contribution is welcome but not necessary... My goal is to get a DRIVER
    for the thing in FreeBSD...

    Daisy chain every 7 days???

    bob

    ---------------------------------;-)----

    > Mikhail, make sure the following is in your kernel configuration
    > file and recompile the kernel, then post the dmesg output. This should
    > get your card recognized although it probably isn't going to be
    > recognized as a modem. But if we see the dmesg output there might be
    > enough info to suggest a mod to get it recognized as a modem:
    Wait, I don't a card yet :-) I was just trying to find out, whether I
    should bother obtaining one...

    Ted, would you take Robert's offer for the benefit of FreeBSD users (and
    that of Verizon)? Assuming, Robert is willing to loan the card first, of
    course :-)

    -mi

    Robert Kim, Wireless Internet Consultant Guest

  9. #9

    > Ted, Mi,
    >
    > Sure.. I've got one extra that I normally rent out... But if you guys
    > would like... I can mail it to one of you and just pass it on to the
    > next guy in a week... In fact.. .why don't we just create a loaner
    > schedule... Who wants to go first?
    >
    > The card is live... And is costing me $79/m so if you'd like a $15
    > contribution is welcome but not necessary... My goal is to get a DRIVER
    > for the thing in FreeBSD...
    >
    > Daisy chain every 7 days???
    >
    > bob
    Sounds like, of the two of us, Ted would be more capable of getting it to
    work. Unless he has no time to spare, he should get it.

    And if Ted or somebody else does modify FreeBSD (and/or publishes easy to
    follow how-to instructions) for EVDO ends up working with my 5-stable Vaio
    laptop, I'll either buy a minimum of $150 worth of service through you,
    Robert, or just send you a check for $30.

    Your company will also be able to claim a spot on the FreeBSD's list of
    hardware vendors, whatever that may be worth :-)

    -mi
    Mikhail Teterin Guest

  10. #10

    Aha. I assumed you had a card already.
    > Ted, would you take Robert's offer for the benefit of FreeBSD
    > users (and
    > that of Verizon)? Assuming, Robert is willing to loan the card
    > first, of
    > course :-)

    I don't have a laptop, sorry. But, in any case, Mikhail, since your
    interested
    in the outcome, that really makes you the absolute best candidate. :-)

    Why don't you go ahead and borrow Robert's card for a couple weeks. My
    guess is that it will be recognized out of the box under FreeBSD as an
    unknown USB serial port - in which case you can attach to it with the
    USB tty driver and away you go. If it isn't, it should be an extremely
    trivial matter to post the output of dmesg and such to the USB mailing
    list, and one of the developers can tell you what source file to modify.
    We are probably only talking about 1 or 2 lines of code to just add the
    probe into it. They are going to need a beta tester anyway.

    If you don't take the card then Robert has the task of getting one of
    the USB developers interested in doing it, and knowing the proliferation
    of USB devices on the market, all of them probably have a stack of
    evauliation gear that is waiting for attention. Since you are personally
    interested your going to take the time to handle the hardware and you
    obviously already have a laptop with FreeBSD setup on it.

    Ted

    Ted Mittelstaedt Guest

  11. #11

    Ted.. Your modesty and conservative approach is noble... BUT... If you
    can dev this thing.. Ill throw in a PCI to PCMCIA adapter for your
    desktop... And you can keep it.. :o)

    So you're not getting out of it that easy... (big smiles)