Professional Web Applications Themes

Versioning Best Practices? - ASP.NET General

Emad, Now that web applications are classes themselves the same versioning best practices apply! Go ahead and follow the versioning components guidelines. Sincerely, -- S. Justin Gengo, MCP Web Developer Free code library at: [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url] "Out of chaos comes order." Nietzche "Emad" <iemadhotmail.com> wrote in message news:ui34m%23AYDHA.2648TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > We are developing a website and there are several developers working on > it... We try to report bugs as fixed on version x.x.x.x... We have been > hard coding the assembly version in the assembly.vb class. The only problem > is that sometimes we forget to change the version before deployment. ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Versioning Best Practices?

    --
    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer

    Free code library at:
    [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url]

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzche

    "Emad" <iemadhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > We are developing a website and there are several developers working on
    > it... We try to report bugs as fixed on version x.x.x.x... We have been
    > hard coding the assembly version in the assembly.vb class. The only
    problem
    > is that sometimes we forget to change the version before deployment.
    >
    > So I changed it to look like this:
    >
    > <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("2.0.*.*")>
    >
    > Will that cause any problem??? Is this good practice?
    >

    > What is the best practice for versioning web applications any way? I
    found
    > stuff online on versioning components but not web applications.
    >
    > Thanks.

    S. Justin Gengo Guest

  2. #2

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvb600/html/msdn_bldvbcom.asp[/url]

    "S. Justin Gengo" <sjgengoaboutfortunate.com> wrote in message
    > Emad,
    >
    > Now that web applications are classes themselves the same versioning best
    > practices apply!
    >
    > Go ahead and follow the versioning components guidelines.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > --
    > S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    > Web Developer
    >
    > Free code library at:
    > [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url]
    >
    > "Out of chaos comes order."
    > Nietzche
    >

    > "Emad" <iemadhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > We are developing a website and there are several developers working on
    > > it... We try to report bugs as fixed on version x.x.x.x... We have been
    > > hard coding the assembly version in the assembly.vb class. The only
    > problem
    > > is that sometimes we forget to change the version before deployment.
    > >
    > > So I changed it to look like this:
    > >
    > > <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("2.0.*.*")>
    > >
    > > Will that cause any problem??? Is this good practice?
    > >

    > > What is the best practice for versioning web applications any way? I
    > found
    > > stuff online on versioning components but not web applications.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    MS News \(MS ILM\) Guest

  3. #3

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconassemblyversioning.asp[/url]

    "Emad" <iemadhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > We are developing a website and there are several developers working on
    > it... We try to report bugs as fixed on version x.x.x.x... We have been
    > hard coding the assembly version in the assembly.vb class. The only
    problem
    > is that sometimes we forget to change the version before deployment.
    >
    > So I changed it to look like this:
    >
    > <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("2.0.*.*")>
    >
    > Will that cause any problem??? Is this good practice?
    >

    > What is the best practice for versioning web applications any way? I
    found
    > stuff online on versioning components but not web applications.
    >
    > Thanks.

    MS News \(MS ILM\) Guest

  4. #4

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptutorials/html/versioning_components.asp[/url]

    Packaging and Deployment (.NET Framework Tutorials)

    "Emad" <iemadhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > We are developing a website and there are several developers working on
    > it... We try to report bugs as fixed on version x.x.x.x... We have been
    > hard coding the assembly version in the assembly.vb class. The only
    problem
    > is that sometimes we forget to change the version before deployment.
    >
    > So I changed it to look like this:
    >
    > <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("2.0.*.*")>
    >
    > Will that cause any problem??? Is this good practice?
    >

    > What is the best practice for versioning web applications any way? I
    found
    > stuff online on versioning components but not web applications.
    >
    > Thanks.

    MS News \(MS ILM\) Guest

  5. #5

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptutorials/html/versioning_components.asp[/url]

    "Emad" <iemadhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > We are developing a website and there are several developers working on
    > it... We try to report bugs as fixed on version x.x.x.x... We have been
    > hard coding the assembly version in the assembly.vb class. The only
    problem
    > is that sometimes we forget to change the version before deployment.
    >
    > So I changed it to look like this:
    >
    > <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("2.0.*.*")>
    >
    > Will that cause any problem??? Is this good practice?
    >

    > What is the best practice for versioning web applications any way? I
    found
    > stuff online on versioning components but not web applications.
    >
    > Thanks.

    MS News \(MS ILM\) Guest

  6. #6

    Is there a reason I should not use this verioning scheme:

    <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("2.0.*.*")>

    Thanks.

    "S. Justin Gengo" <sjgengoaboutfortunate.com> wrote in message
    > Emad,
    >
    > Now that web applications are classes themselves the same versioning best
    > practices apply!
    >
    > Go ahead and follow the versioning components guidelines.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > --
    > S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    > Web Developer
    >
    > Free code library at:
    > [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url]
    >
    > "Out of chaos comes order."
    > Nietzche
    >

    > "Emad" <iemadhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > We are developing a website and there are several developers working on
    > > it... We try to report bugs as fixed on version x.x.x.x... We have been
    > > hard coding the assembly version in the assembly.vb class. The only
    > problem
    > > is that sometimes we forget to change the version before deployment.
    > >
    > > So I changed it to look like this:
    > >
    > > <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("2.0.*.*")>
    > >
    > > Will that cause any problem??? Is this good practice?
    > >

    > > What is the best practice for versioning web applications any way? I
    > found
    > > stuff online on versioning components but not web applications.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Emad Guest

  7. #7

    > Is there a reason I should not use this verioning scheme:
    >
    > <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("2.0.*.*")>

    Jeffrey Richter, in his book "Applied Microsoft .Net Framework
    Programming", says NOT to use the auto increment feature. He states:

    "This feature is a bug and shouldn't be used because changing the assembly
    version number will break any assemblies that reference this assembly. The
    AssemblyInfo.cs file that Visual Studio.Net automatically creates for you
    when you create a new project is in error: it sets the AssemblyVersion
    attribute so that is major and minor parts are 1.0 and that the build and
    revision parts are automatically updated by the compiler. You should
    definitely modify this file and hard-code all four parts of the assembly
    version number"

    His book goes on to explain the different version numbers that are assigned
    to an assembly (there are three!).

    I don't fully understand it yet, but the book is highly recommended.

    Chris
    --
    If you don't like lunchmeat, please remove it from my e-mail address to
    send me an e-mail