Professional Web Applications Themes

Very slow initial connection on Oracle 8i - Oracle Server

Using Oracle 8i enterprise on win 2000 (sp3) Installed the standard configuration & whenever I make a connection it takes about 10 secs. It's running on a P1900 with 1gb Ram so no reason there for slowness. Once I'm connected the queries work pretty much instantanously but to connect using SQLPLUS, Toad, ODBC, OLEDB all take about 10 secs. I connect using OLEDB from Visual Basic development environment & after the 1st connection (still in the dev env), subsequent connections are instant. Where/what/how should I start - I'm totally baffled! - read somewhere that these symtoms could be DNS related ...

  1. #1

    Default Very slow initial connection on Oracle 8i

    Using Oracle 8i enterprise on win 2000 (sp3)

    Installed the standard configuration & whenever I make a connection it
    takes about 10 secs. It's running on a P1900 with 1gb Ram so no reason
    there for slowness.

    Once I'm connected the queries work pretty much instantanously but to
    connect using SQLPLUS, Toad, ODBC, OLEDB all take about 10 secs. I
    connect using OLEDB from Visual Basic development environment & after
    the 1st connection (still in the dev env), subsequent connections are
    instant.

    Where/what/how should I start - I'm totally baffled! - read somewhere
    that these symtoms could be DNS related but what/how do I tell & how
    to fix them?

    I've included my TNSNAME.ORA & LISTENER.ORA files in the vain hope it
    might be something simple in these - the name of my database (only use
    the one) is dev

    My TNSNAME.ORA file
    # TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File:
    i:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

    DEV =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = p1900)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = dev)
    )
    )

    INST1_HTTP =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = p1900)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = SHARED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = dev)
    (PRESENTATION = [url]http://admin[/url])
    )
    )

    EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = PLtProc)
    (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
    )

    My LISTENER.ORA file
    # LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File:
    i:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\listener.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

    LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    )
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = p1900)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (PROTOCOL_STACK =
    (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
    (SESSION = RAW)
    )
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = p1900)(PORT = 2481))
    )
    )

    SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = PLtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = i:\oracle\ora81)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = dev)
    (ORACLE_HOME = i:\oracle\ora81)
    (SID_NAME = dev)
    )
    )

    Many thanks

    harry
    Harry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Very slow initial connection on Oracle 8i

    Do you have sqlnet.authentication_services =(NTS) in sqlnet.ora on your
    client? If so try removing it - this will stop connect / as sysdba.

    --
    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA

    Niall Litchfield Guest

  3. #3

    Yippee, does the trick perfectly

    many thanks to all replies!

  4. #4

    Harry,

    I'm also having the same problem on Oracle 9i (9.2.0.1) and Windows XP
    Professional SR 1. The system is a 512 MB (360 MB in use) and 1 GHz laptop.

    I also took the suggestion of changing to IP addresses, which didn't help.
    Just as you, I see the problem with SQL*PLUS and the OCI (in my case
    SQL/REXX). The first connection takes 8+ seconds and subsequent ones are
    instantanously! If I drop all connections and then start a new connection,
    the time again is 8+ seconds for the first one (even though I just had a
    connection going).

    I never really thought much about this problem till reading your note. I'm
    wondering if the Oracle server is the bottle neck (e.g. maybe we need to
    have it start and keep dispatchers around on Windows). My guess is the
    problem comes from the server needing to initialize something (e.g.
    dispatcher) for the first time. The pieces (as I see them) fit, but till I
    try stuff out I won't know. The solution could already be in Metalink or
    via Google. I've just been finding other things to work on than 8 seconds
    here and there. Guess, it is time to start looking at the issue.

    Bertram Moshier
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA

    [url]http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram[/url]

    Bert Bear Guest

  5. #5

    Dispatchers (e.g. MTS or connection pooling) isn't the answer. Also the
    wait is at the Windows process level. By this I mean say ... Process 51
    starts a connection (goes through the initial wait). As long as the
    connection is open everything is quick. If process 68 starts a connection
    it must also go through the same initial wait (e.g. 8+ seconds).

    An initial startup wait is normal, but my thought was this one was a little
    on the long side (hence my thought about the dispatchers). Maybe this
    length of time is normal for Windows (after all it is a PC operating system,
    where true multi-threading has been an after thought).

    One of the reasons why the OAS keeps connections open (shares connections)
    to the database (e.g. through a DAD) is because of the cost to open a new
    connection at the process/thread level. Maybe this delay is SOP. As I say,
    I never really thought about it till you brought it up.

    Bertram Moshier
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA

    [url]http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram[/url]

    news:vuNH9.910$Sg3.884717740newssvr12.news.prodig y.com...

    Bert Bear Guest

  6. #6

    Harry,

    I take it back the dispatchers might be the solution!

    I changed my 9.2.0.1 system to use dispatchers (MTS for those prior to 9i
    and connection pooling for those at 9i). Took down the database and brought
    it back up. I even let the database configuration assistant do it once to
    insure it got done as Oracle required.

    The time delay stayed the same 8+ seconds. Hence, my thought using
    MTS/Connection pooling (disptachers) doesn't help with the issue. My gut
    still told me dispatchers are the solution.

    I rebooted my system.

    I'm NOW getting in and able to do a query via REXX/SQL in 5 seconds on the
    first (and only) connection.

    I'm guessing restarting the database is NOT enough for Windows systems.
    Maybe you need to restart the Oracle database services to get connection
    pooling to work? Maybe it takes a complete reboot to get connection pooling
    to work?

    So, you might try turning MTS on for your 8i database!

    Bertram Moshier
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA

    [url]http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram[/url]

    news:xiWH9.308$2F7.268994691newssvr11.news.prodig y.com...

    Bert Bear Guest