Professional Web Applications Themes

Very slow printing with stock FreeBSD5.3 + CUPS + Gimp-Print + HPDeskJet612C - FreeBSD

Hello all, My HP DeskJet 612C printer is printing unbearably slow (0.033 PPM). I have a stock installation (GENERIC KERNEL) of FreeBSD 5.3 straight off of the install CDs, and I have installed very little software thus far. I have mainly followed the installation instructions from http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/freebsd_cups.html It basically prints one line at a time, then pauses for a while, and makes some noises, and then repeats. The whole single test page took over 30 minutes to print. Does anyone have any insight/info that they can give me to solve this problem or point me in the right direction of ...

  1. #1

    Default Very slow printing with stock FreeBSD5.3 + CUPS + Gimp-Print + HPDeskJet612C

    Hello all,

    My HP DeskJet 612C printer is printing unbearably slow (0.033 PPM). I
    have a stock installation (GENERIC KERNEL) of FreeBSD 5.3 straight off
    of the install CDs, and I have installed very little software thus far.
    I have mainly followed the installation instructions from

    http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/freebsd_cups.html

    It basically prints one line at a time, then pauses for a while, and
    makes some noises, and then repeats. The whole single test page took
    over 30 minutes to print. Does anyone have any insight/info that they
    can give me to solve this problem or point me in the right direction of
    solving it? I have Googled and done some searching and did not come up
    with anything. I checked the CUPS doentation and forums and did not
    see anything either.

    Anthony Guest

  2. #2

    Anthony M. Agelastos writes:

    Maybe, make sure you installed the correct driver-there are two; a
    high resolution, (something like 3K dots per inch, and it will only do
    3K dots per inch, which makes it very slow,) and a driver that uses
    the CUPS specific version of ghostscript, ESP ghostscript, (the other
    drivers require all of gimp-print to be installed.)

    The ESP ghostscript drivers end with a -ijs extension, and that's
    probably the one you want.

    Look at the ppd file you installed in probably /usr/share/cups/model/
    for something like:

    *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"

    and see if there is anything in the file ending with -ijs.

    John

    BTW, this solved the same thing on my Epson Photo Stylus 780. Maybe
    your problem, too.

    --

    John Conover, net, http://www.johncon.com/
    John Guest

  3. #3

    On Sunday 10 April 2005 08:34 pm, Anthony M. Agelastos wrote:
    If you are using the parallel port it sounds like an interrupt
    problem. Check you settings in the BIOS and try different ECP/EPP
    settings for the port.

    --
    Anish Mistry

    Anish Guest

  4. #4

    After trying some various ideas, I ran dmesg and noticed the following
    message

    Interrupt storm detected on "irq7: lpt0"; throttling interrupt source

    This appears to be inline with what you are speaking of. Having said
    this, however, I played around with my BIOS settings and still could
    not get it to work. Here are the available options given.

    Parallel Port:
    Disabled
    Enabled
    Auto

    Mode:
    Output only
    Bi-directional
    EPP
    ECP

    Base I/O Address:
    378
    278
    228

    Interrupt:
    5
    7

    DMA:
    1
    3

    I am still playing around with combinations. Any suggestions?

    On Apr 10, 2005, at 9:31 PM, Anish Mistry wrote:

    > If you are using the parallel port it sounds like an interrupt
    > problem. Check you settings in the BIOS and try different ECP/EPP
    > settings for the port.
    >
    > --
    > Anish Mistry[/ref]

    Anthony Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you for your reply,

    When I installed CUPS (make && make install), it defaulted to
    ghostscript-gnu-7.07_12. After that, I installed Gimp-print. To get the
    printer working, I used the web-based admin system
    (http://localhost:631) and chose the 600/600c series printer drivers
    (CUPS+Gimp-Print). This resulted in retardedly-slow prints. After
    posting the email, I then tried the HP DeskJet 600/600C -
    CUPS+Gimp-Print drivers and it has the same problem. I do not see any
    other options to choose for this printer in the dialogue I am given.

    Are you suggesting that CUPS should use ESP Ghostscript as opposed to
    the one it defaults to? If so, how do I go about doing this? I have not
    installed any PPDs manually (I relied on Gimp-Print).

    Anthony Guest

  6. #6

    I forgot to mention that after the first reply to my thread by John, I
    turned the resolution down to 150x150 (the lowest it would go) and
    black and white (not even grayscale). Putting the interrupt at 5 as
    opposed to 7 allowed for one whole test page to print straight through.
    Turning the quality to 300x300 grayscale promoted the same problem with
    the dmesg message:

    Interrupt storm detected on "irq5: lpt0"; throttling interrupt source

    On Apr 10, 2005, at 9:31 PM, Anish Mistry wrote:

    > If you are using the parallel port it sounds like an interrupt
    > problem. Check you settings in the BIOS and try different ECP/EPP
    > settings for the port.
    >
    > --
    > Anish Mistry[/ref]

    Anthony Guest

  7. #7

    org wrote:

    Make sure your using the genuine HP bidirectional parallel printer cable.

    Ted

    Ted Guest

  8. #8

    "Anthony M. Agelastos" <edu> writes:

    1. Back up /boot/device.hints
    2. In device hints add a line

    hint.ppc.0.flags="0x20"

    AFTER the line which says

    hint.ppc.0.irq="7"

    3. save and reboot

    hth

    Glyn
    Glyn Guest

  9. #9

    On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 07:36:32AM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote: [/ref]

    Flags=0x20 means disabling IRQ and use polling instead. If you add 0x08
    it also puts the port in enhanced capability mode. So try flag=0x28, and
    use 0x20 if that doesn't work.

    You can remove this line, because flags=0x20 instructs the driver to use
    polling instead of an interrupt line.

    Roland
    --
    R.F. Smith /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
    r s m i t h x s 4 a l l . n l \ / No HTML/RTF in e-mail

    Roland Guest

  10. #10

    Roland Smith <nl> writes:
     [/ref]

    > Flags=0x20 means disabling IRQ and use polling instead. If you add 0x08
    > it also puts the port in enhanced capability mode. So try flag=0x28, and
    > use 0x20 if that doesn't work.

    > You can remove this line, because flags=0x20 instructs the driver to use
    > polling instead of an interrupt line.[/ref]

    Right!!

    Many thanks.

    Can you point me to the docs for this? I'm very new to FreeBSD finished
    install with this printing problem yesterday!

    atb

    Glyn
    Glyn Guest

  11. #11

    On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:27:33AM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:

    > > Flags=0x20 means disabling IRQ and use polling instead. If you add 0x08
    > > it also puts the port in enhanced capability mode. So try flag=0x28, and
    > > use 0x20 if that doesn't work.
    > >

    > > You can remove this line, because flags=0x20 instructs the driver to use
    > > polling instead of an interrupt line.[/ref]
    >
    > Right!!
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Can you point me to the docs for this? I'm very new to FreeBSD finished
    > install with this printing problem yesterday![/ref]

    The flags for the ppc driver are doented in the ppc(4) manual
    page. Just run 'man ppc' from the console or an xterm to view it.

    More information on setting up printers can be found in 9.3 of the
    Handbook.

    Some things that I learned while setting up my FreeBSD workstation are
    recorded at http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/

    Roland

  12. #12

    Roland Smith <nl> writes:

    > The flags for the ppc driver are doented in the ppc(4) manual
    > page. Just run 'man ppc' from the console or an xterm to view it.
    >
    > More information on setting up printers can be found in 9.3 of the
    > Handbook.
    >
    > Some things that I learned while setting up my FreeBSD workstation are
    > recorded at http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/[/ref]

    Just the job!

    Many thanks

    Glyn
    Glyn Guest

  13. #13

    Anthony M. Agelastos wrote:

    Anthony,

    I too have this issue. I tried with my HP 1100, 1300 and a 4050 on 3
    differant PC/laptops. The thing is, one of them, like yours, was a
    generic install w/gnome and I tried bot apsfilter and CUPS.

    Yet, everyone I have spoken with has no idea of the issues I'm dealing
    with. So for now, and untill I pop on 5.4, I'm gonna leave my printing
    for Windows.

    Yes, I tried the install via the Handbook, read the docs for apfilter,
    and the closest I get to printing is via CUPS - and with the same issues
    (and worse then you). Mine happen to be the "GO" light flashes for 20
    minutes befor anything spits out. *shrug*

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    The crucial memorandum will be snared in the out-basket by
    the paper clip of the overlying memo and go to file.
    Chris Guest

  14. #14

    Chris wrote:

    >Anthony,
    >
    > I too have this issue. I tried with my HP 1100, 1300 and a 4050 on 3
    >differant PC/laptops. The thing is, one of them, like yours, was a
    >generic install w/gnome and I tried bot apsfilter and CUPS.
    >
    > Yet, everyone I have spoken with has no idea of the issues I'm dealing
    >with. So for now, and untill I pop on 5.4, I'm gonna leave my printing
    >for Windows.
    >
    > Yes, I tried the install via the Handbook, read the docs for apfilter,
    >and the closest I get to printing is via CUPS - and with the same issues
    >(and worse then you). Mine happen to be the "GO" light flashes for 20
    >minutes befor anything spits out. *shrug*
    >
    >[/ref]

    Perhaps the quality setting is locked on high resolution? This would
    probably make the printer print quite slow if its an inkjet.

    Regards,
    Frank Laszlo
    Frank Guest

  15. #15

    On Monday 11 April 2005 18:52, Frank Laszlo wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    Gimp-print is about the worst one could use. Use hpijs.
     [/ref]

    Use hpijs (and hpoj) with cups. Works really well on my photosmart 2610
    all-in-one thing. They're ports from HP's drivers for Linux:

    /usr/ports/print/hpijs
    /usr/ports/graphics/hpoj

    HTH,

    Dan