Professional Web Applications Themes

Very slow X performance on X terminals - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I am trying to set up some X terminals to run of a poweredge 1750 running redhat 9. The server is dual 2.4GHz w/4GB RAM and is on a Gigabit feed. The clients are on a 100Mbit feeds. When a user resizes any application window the redraw progresses in steps and slow as a snail. I running gdm. I tried to use both Solaris sparc and Solaris intel based system and do not see this problem. I need to get the linux up and running. Any help/pointers will be appreciated. Thanks Anand...

  1. #1

    Default Very slow X performance on X terminals

    Hi,

    I am trying to set up some X terminals to run of a poweredge 1750
    running redhat 9. The server is dual 2.4GHz w/4GB RAM and is on a
    Gigabit feed. The clients are on a 100Mbit feeds. When a user resizes
    any application window the redraw progresses in steps and slow as a
    snail. I running gdm. I tried to use
    both Solaris sparc and Solaris intel based system and do not see this
    problem. I need to get the linux up and running.

    Any help/pointers will be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Anand
    Anand Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Very slow X performance on X terminals

    Anand wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to set up some X terminals to run of a poweredge 1750
    > running redhat 9. The server is dual 2.4GHz w/4GB RAM and is on a
    > Gigabit feed. The clients are on a 100Mbit feeds. When a user resizes
    > any application window the redraw progresses in steps and slow as a
    > snail. I running gdm. I tried to use
    > both Solaris sparc and Solaris intel based system and do not see this
    > problem. I need to get the linux up and running.
    >
    > Any help/pointers will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Anand
    What clients? Which server? Is it only the resize or is everything slow?

    You should be more clear in your problem description. X11 on Linux in
    general runs very well, you know.

    Max

    M. Strobel Guest

  3. #3

    I switched to KDE desktop instead of GNOME and the resizing and
    window refresh are perfectly normal. Only for the fact that If
    a second uses tries to logon to the Xserver, he gets a DCOPserver
    not running message.

    Didn't had time to fix/debug that, so installed FVWM on the box
    and it works as expected and behaves the same way like the solaris
    boxes for resizing and refreshing of windows.

    I guess gnome has more overhead with lots of bells and whistles that
    slows down the Xserver performance. How can one disable all the fancy
    stuff in gnome desktop ?

    Anand
    Anand Guest

  4. #4

    Anand wrote:
    > I switched to KDE desktop instead of GNOME and the resizing and
    > window refresh are perfectly normal. Only for the fact that If
    > a second uses tries to logon to the Xserver, he gets a DCOPserver
    > not running message.

    I'll try and clear up the 'nomenclature' here.

    The X server is actually the program which displays on your screen, captures
    mouse and keyboard events and sends them to the X client. The client is
    what we think of the application. The application starts up and usually
    enters an event loop and waits for 'commands' from the Xserver.

    It seems a little confusing, but consider that the X server is what controls
    the application program.

    Good luck.
    > Didn't had time to fix/debug that, so installed FVWM on the box
    > and it works as expected and behaves the same way like the solaris
    > boxes for resizing and refreshing of windows.
    >
    > I guess gnome has more overhead with lots of bells and whistles that
    > slows down the Xserver performance. How can one disable all the fancy
    > stuff in gnome desktop ?
    >
    > Anand
    Allen Guest

  5. #5

    understood, I should have used the terminlogy Xserver and Xterminal boxes.
    So, how can I get rid of the bells and whistes in gnome ?
    Anand Guest

  6. #6

    Anand wrote:

    > understood, I should have used the terminlogy Xserver and Xterminal boxes.
    > So, how can I get rid of the bells and whistes in gnome ?
    Go into it's config and check out the window manager settings. And/or
    change window managers (again from within the gnome config).
    Joe Beanfish Guest

  7. #7

    com (Anand) writes:

    As an alternative to changing window managers as was suggested by
    someone else, you can change the behaviour of the default Sawfish
    window manager easily enough. Start up the:

    Settings->Gnome Control Center

    and under the "Sawfish window manager" settings, you should find a
    "Moving and Resizing" item. Change the "How windows being resized are
    animated" from Opaque to Box.

    --
    Kevin <net>
    Kevin Guest

  8. #8

    Dear friends,

    If it is slow while login from any user ,follow the steps and hope it will help you to improve login performance...

    1. Login from user
    2. Remove .kde,.gnome,.thumbnails.
    3.logout and relogin once again...hope it will be improve your performance.

    Regds.,
    Nasim
    nasim.intec@gmail.com Guest