Professional Web Applications Themes

VHS Betamax V2000 - CF SM SD - Photography

Karl Johnson wrote: > > I've just purchased my first digital camera (S400), and was reminded of > a past mistake I made back in the late seventies when I bought my first > video recorder and unfortunately went for a Betamax! There were three > formats at the time and VHS won the war in a very short time. > > Looking for an extra CompactFlash card I notice there are several > different types of media storage including CompactFlash, Smart Media, > Secure Digital, Memory Stick, XD and others. > > I wondered if there's likely to be ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: VHS Betamax V2000 - CF SM SD

    Karl Johnson wrote:

    > I've just purchased my first digital camera (S400), and was reminded of
    > a past mistake I made back in the late seventies when I bought my first
    > video recorder and unfortunately went for a Betamax! There were three
    > formats at the time and VHS won the war in a very short time.
    >
    > Looking for an extra CompactFlash card I notice there are several
    > different types of media storage including CompactFlash, Smart Media,
    > Secure Digital, Memory Stick, XD and others.
    >
    > I wondered if there's likely to be a particular format winner or loser
    > in today's media storage cards. What do other's think?
    >
    > Karl.
    Yeah, I bought a camera which was a bargain (Oly z220 zoom) only to
    discover that the smartmedia card seems to have died. The only good
    thing about this is that I can buy the stuff cheaply, so bagged a 128mb
    card for nowhere near what it would have cost me a short while ago.
    --
    Paul. (This machine will, will not communicate)
    Not what it seems...

  2. #2

    Karl Johnson wrote:
    > I've just purchased my first digital camera (S400), and was reminded of
    > a past mistake I made back in the late seventies when I bought my first
    > video recorder and unfortunately went for a Betamax! There were three
    > formats at the time and VHS won the war in a very short time.
    >
    > Looking for an extra CompactFlash card I notice there are several
    > different types of media storage including CompactFlash, Smart Media,
    > Secure Digital, Memory Stick, XD and others.
    >
    > I wondered if there's likely to be a particular format winner or loser
    > in today's media storage cards. What do other's think?
    >
    > Karl.

    I don't think you can go wrong with CF. I suspect it's the VHS of media
    storage. But remember that even VHS is in the process of being eclipsed
    by DVD.

    Dan Campbell Guest

  3. #3

    "Karl Johnson" <karlkarljohnson.co.uk> writes:
    >I wondered if there's likely to be a particular format winner or loser
    >in today's media storage cards. What do other's think?
    There will definitely be some losers, but more than one winner may
    remain. Right now, CF gives the largest available capacities, and is
    also the lowest cost per byte, so it's pretty popular and likely to
    remain around for a while. The Achilles heel of CF is that it's also
    the largest package, and a problem to use in the smallest cameras, so
    one of the smaller formats like MMC/SD/XD is likely to appear in the
    smallest devices.

    It's worth noting that it isn't just cameras that use flash memory -
    MP3 players, GPS receivers, handheld organizers and other devices do
    too, and some of them have even less internal room than a camera.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale Guest

  4. #4

    All the top end cameras use CF, you will not have a problem.

    "Karl Johnson" <karlkarljohnson.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I've just purchased my first digital camera (S400), and was reminded of
    > a past mistake I made back in the late seventies when I bought my first
    > video recorder and unfortunately went for a Betamax! There were three
    > formats at the time and VHS won the war in a very short time.
    >
    > Looking for an extra CompactFlash card I notice there are several
    > different types of media storage including CompactFlash, Smart Media,
    > Secure Digital, Memory Stick, XD and others.
    >
    > I wondered if there's likely to be a particular format winner or loser
    > in today's media storage cards. What do other's think?
    >
    > Karl.

    Marli Guest

  5. #5

    > Looking for an extra CompactFlash card I notice there are several
    > different types of media storage including CompactFlash, Smart Media,
    > Secure Digital, Memory Stick, XD and others.
    SM is pretty much dead and buried.

    MS is not likely to get popular outside Sony (they are the only manufacturer
    that uses it in their cameras and camcorders etc, and refuse to acknowledge
    that the format was a commercial flop).

    CF has been around since the beginning, and still has a long way to go
    before it can't be developed further.

    SD has gained a wide base of uses outside digicams too (GPS'es, MP3 players
    etc.) and probably won't disappear any time soon.

    XD is relatively new but has been adopted by several digicam manufacturers,
    so I think it should be OK for some time (as in: it's still new, and needs
    to prove itself, but it seems like a very good format).

    Snorre Selmer Guest

  6. #6

    > It's worth noting that it isn't just cameras that use flash memory -
    > MP3 players, GPS receivers, handheld organizers and other devices do
    > too, and some of them have even less internal room than a camera.
    Like my Magellan Meridian GPS? It can use a 128MB SD-card to hold more
    detailed maps etc.

    Snorre Selmer Guest

  7. #7

    "Karl Johnson" <karlkarljohnson.co.uk> WROTE:
    >I've just purchased my first digital camera (S400), and was reminded of
    >a past mistake I made back in the late seventies when I bought my first
    >video recorder and unfortunately went for a Betamax! There were three
    >formats at the time and VHS won the war in a very short time.

    My Betamax uses SmartMedia. Ok, it's an Olympus C-2100.
    I bought the camera for reasons OTHER than it's storage type. It really doesn't
    make a difference.
    So I'm limited to 128MB cards. That's 257 images with the format I usually use.
    I used to buy film with 36 exposures, you do the math. I have 2-128 MB, a 64 MB
    and a few smaller cards I use to transport images for printing or files for the
    office with a reader.
    Either the camera or myself will become non-functional long before I won't be
    able to find SmartMedia for it.
    Jeff
    Jeff the Dentist Guest