Professional Web Applications Themes

[Video CD] Problems with .mpg file - Mac Applications & Software

Removed by Administrator...

  1. Moderated Post

    Default [Video CD] Problems with .mpg file

    Removed by Administrator
    MatFox Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: [Video CD] Problems with .mpg file

    Removed by Administrator
    MatFox Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Paul Womar Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    sbt Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:

    > Not necessarily damaged, just encoded as non-compliant with the VideoCD
    > specifications (bit-rate, framesize, and a bunch of other things have
    > to be exact or within specified ranges for compliance). If it plays in
    > QT Player, the odds are that it is just out-of-spec.
    That's possible... The file has been created in august 1999.

    > To demux and remux the file, you can use ffmpegX.
    >
    > One thing that frequently works, almost always with files that are
    > close to the spec, is to use VCD Builder or GNU vcdtoolsX to create img
    > or bin files and then burn those in Toast.
    >
    > Other useful tools to have on hand are VCDGear, mpgtx, and VCD CopyX.
    great infos, txs a lot!
    MatFox Guest

  6. #6

    sam grey <sgreyinvalid.com> wrote:

    > Does the original MPEG1 file play okay in Quicktime Pro? And you're usre
    > it's an MPEG1 file?
    yes; that's what the QT info window says.
    It has been created in august 1999, and this scares me a bit...
    MatFox Guest

  7. #7

    In article <1fxj8un.y377xi1woozw8N%MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> , MatFox
    <MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> wrote:
    > sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >

    > > Not necessarily damaged, just encoded as non-compliant with the VideoCD
    > > specifications (bit-rate, framesize, and a bunch of other things have
    > > to be exact or within specified ranges for compliance). If it plays in
    > > QT Player, the odds are that it is just out-of-spec.
    > That's possible... The file has been created in august 1999.
    >

    > > To demux and remux the file, you can use ffmpegX.
    > >
    > > One thing that frequently works, almost always with files that are
    > > close to the spec, is to use VCD Builder or GNU vcdtoolsX to create img
    > > or bin files and then burn those in Toast.
    > >
    > > Other useful tools to have on hand are VCDGear, mpgtx, and VCD CopyX.
    > great infos, txs a lot!
    If you want a REALLY good expose of all your options, complete with
    links to software, go to the 2-part article (of May 20, 2003) at
    [url]www.videobuyersguide.com/editorials/video_on_mac.htm[/url]
    Julian Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Default Re: [Video CD] Problems with .mpg file - Need more HEEEELP!

    Removed by Administrator
    MatFox Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    sbt Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    > As I posted, amongst other things, in one of the early responses to
    > this thread, Toast wants a _conformant_ mpg if it is going to build the
    > Video CD. However, if you create the image to burn yourself, you can
    > bypass this check -- use GNU VCDToolsX to create a .bin/.cue pair from
    > your mpg, then just drag the .bin file into Toast's VideoCD window.
    > This has worked for all but one non-conformant MPEG-1s that I've
    > received, and the one where it didn't was really ed up.
    Txs a lot, now it has perfectly worked!
    As the mpeg file of the movie is really good (a non-broadcast
    transcription of a classic '60s movies) the resulting VCD is extremely
    good!

    txs a lot again!
    MatFox Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Charles Martin Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #12

    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:

    ->As I posted, amongst other things, in one of the early responses to
    ->this thread, Toast wants a _conformant_ mpg if it is going to build the
    ->Video CD. However, if you create the image to burn yourself, you can
    ->bypass this check -- use GNU VCDToolsX to create a .bin/.cue pair from
    ->your mpg, then just drag the .bin file into Toast's VideoCD window.
    ->This has worked for all but one non-conformant MPEG-1s that I've
    ->received, and the one where it didn't was really ed up.

    I've been following this thread because I'm in a similar situation...
    I have one .mpg (from a disk that will contain 17 .mpgs) that Toast
    doesn't like...

    I've tried creating my own .bin file with VCDToolsX, but when burning
    (vcd format) in Toast, it always fails at a certain point, requiring
    abort. I can't be certain, but the timing of the failure is about
    where the problem track falls, ie., about 2/3 thru the disk...

    I need to fix this single file to make it into a compliant mpeg (like
    the others seem to be)... I've tinkered with Astarte and (I think)
    demuxed the problem track, but now I don't know how to remux it into an
    acceptable file.

    [my understanding of this stuff is severely minimal, so please overlook
    obvious stupidities]

    Any idea if I an on the right track?

    Tia,
    jeff in la Guest

  13. #13

    In article <100720031302234264%flopshotSTOPSPAMcovad.net>, jeff in la
    <flopshotSTOPSPAMcovad.net> wrote:
    > sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > ->As I posted, amongst other things, in one of the early responses to
    > ->this thread, Toast wants a _conformant_ mpg if it is going to build the
    > ->Video CD. However, if you create the image to burn yourself, you can
    > ->bypass this check -- use GNU VCDToolsX to create a .bin/.cue pair from
    > ->your mpg, then just drag the .bin file into Toast's VideoCD window.
    > ->This has worked for all but one non-conformant MPEG-1s that I've
    > ->received, and the one where it didn't was really ed up.
    >
    > I've been following this thread because I'm in a similar situation...
    > I have one .mpg (from a disk that will contain 17 .mpgs) that Toast
    > doesn't like...
    >
    > I've tried creating my own .bin file with VCDToolsX, but when burning
    > (vcd format) in Toast, it always fails at a certain point, requiring
    > abort. I can't be certain, but the timing of the failure is about
    > where the problem track falls, ie., about 2/3 thru the disk...
    >
    > I need to fix this single file to make it into a compliant mpeg (like
    > the others seem to be)... I've tinkered with Astarte and (I think)
    > demuxed the problem track, but now I don't know how to remux it into an
    > acceptable file.
    >
    > [my understanding of this stuff is severely minimal, so please overlook
    > obvious stupidities]
    >
    > Any idea if I an on the right track?

    Well, if all you need to do is remux it, use ffmpegX. On the Tools tab,
    Browse to the m1v file for the first box, browse to the mp2 file for
    the second box, then select VCD from the popup next to the Mux as
    button, then click the Mux as button. ffmpegX will launch Terminal and
    open a second Terminal window to show the progress.

    If you do need to Demux it, you can also do so on the Tools tab. Browse
    to the MPEG file in the first box, leave the second empty, and click
    the Demux button.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  14. #14

    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:

    ->Well, if all you need to do is remux it, use ffmpegX. On the Tools tab,
    ->Browse to the m1v file for the first box, browse to the mp2 file for
    ->the second box, then select VCD from the popup next to the Mux as
    ->button, then click the Mux as button. ffmpegX will launch Terminal and
    ->open a second Terminal window to show the progress.
    ->
    ->If you do need to Demux it, you can also do so on the Tools tab. Browse
    ->to the MPEG file in the first box, leave the second empty, and click
    ->the Demux button.

    I just tried Demuxing the original .mpg file as suggested, and ffmpegX
    says "finished" a split second later... but if it has done anything, I
    don't know where to find it... And the original file remains
    unfriendly to Toast.

    Remuxing yields a syntax error in the Terminal.

    I appreciate your help.... this stuff hasn't yet become very user
    friendly!
    jeff in la Guest

  15. #15

    In article <100720031459039360%flopshotSTOPSPAMcovad.net>, jeff in la
    <flopshotSTOPSPAMcovad.net> wrote:
    > sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > ->Well, if all you need to do is remux it, use ffmpegX. On the Tools tab,
    > ->Browse to the m1v file for the first box, browse to the mp2 file for
    > ->the second box, then select VCD from the popup next to the Mux as
    > ->button, then click the Mux as button. ffmpegX will launch Terminal and
    > ->open a second Terminal window to show the progress.
    > ->
    > ->If you do need to Demux it, you can also do so on the Tools tab. Browse
    > ->to the MPEG file in the first box, leave the second empty, and click
    > ->the Demux button.
    >
    > I just tried Demuxing the original .mpg file as suggested, and ffmpegX
    > says "finished" a split second later... but if it has done anything, I
    > don't know where to find it... And the original file remains
    > unfriendly to Toast.
    >
    > Remuxing yields a syntax error in the Terminal.
    >
    > I appreciate your help.... this stuff hasn't yet become very user
    > friendly!
    Are you absolutely certain that the file in question is an mpeg-1 file?
    Just because some Windows user put that extension on the filename
    doesn't make it so. What does QT Player Pro say about it when you check
    the Movie Properties (check the Tracks popup)?

    If ffmpegX says "Finished" that quickly, I'd be willing to wager that
    it isn't a muxed mpeg track (or is incredibly short).

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  16. #16

    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:

    ->Are you absolutely certain that the file in question is an mpeg-1 file?
    ->Just because some Windows user put that extension on the filename
    ->doesn't make it so. What does QT Player Pro say about it when you check
    ->the Movie Properties (check the Tracks popup)?
    ->
    ->If ffmpegX says "Finished" that quickly, I'd be willing to wager that
    ->it isn't a muxed mpeg track (or is incredibly short).

    It is a short clip (1min30sec), but not THAT short...

    Well, if I'm reading this correctly... I open the file in question,
    then go to Movie Properties... The popup on the left gives me the
    choice of Movie or Mpeg1 Muxed Track.

    Under Movie / General it says 1 Track, 170.3 kbytes/sec, 15mb

    Under Mpeg1 Muxed Track / General it says the same things, along with
    Track Type: MPEG1 Muxed...

    Seems to be the right thing... It plays fine... but Toast chokes on
    it...
    jeff in la Guest

  17. #17

    In article <100720031527090546%flopshotSTOPSPAMcovad.net>, jeff in la
    <flopshotSTOPSPAMcovad.net> wrote:
    > sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > ->Are you absolutely certain that the file in question is an mpeg-1 file?
    > ->Just because some Windows user put that extension on the filename
    > ->doesn't make it so. What does QT Player Pro say about it when you check
    > ->the Movie Properties (check the Tracks popup)?
    > ->
    > ->If ffmpegX says "Finished" that quickly, I'd be willing to wager that
    > ->it isn't a muxed mpeg track (or is incredibly short).
    >
    > It is a short clip (1min30sec), but not THAT short...
    >
    > Well, if I'm reading this correctly... I open the file in question,
    > then go to Movie Properties... The popup on the left gives me the
    > choice of Movie or Mpeg1 Muxed Track.
    >
    > Under Movie / General it says 1 Track, 170.3 kbytes/sec, 15mb
    >
    > Under Mpeg1 Muxed Track / General it says the same things, along with
    > Track Type: MPEG1 Muxed...
    >
    > Seems to be the right thing... It plays fine... but Toast chokes on
    > it...
    Playing fine and being VCD-compatible are two separate issues. A
    VCD-compliant MPEG-1 will have a data rate of 224 kbits/sec for the
    audio and 1150 kbps for the video. It will have a frame size of 352x240
    (NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL) at a frame rate of 29.97 (NTSC) or 25 (PAL).

    It looks like your file is a wee bit fast (170.3 KB/sec is over 1360
    kbps). You're going to need to reencode it, making sure the audio and
    video are in sync.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  18. #18

    In article <100720031806139557%flopshotSTOPSPAMcovad.net>, jeff in la
    <flopshotSTOPSPAMcovad.net> wrote:
    > sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > ->
    > ->Playing fine and being VCD-compatible are two separate issues. A
    > ->VCD-compliant MPEG-1 will have a data rate of 224 kbits/sec for the
    > ->audio and 1150 kbps for the video. It will have a frame size of 352x240
    > ->(NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL) at a frame rate of 29.97 (NTSC) or 25 (PAL).
    > ->
    > ->It looks like your file is a wee bit fast (170.3 KB/sec is over 1360
    > ->kbps). You're going to need to reencode it, making sure the audio and
    > ->video are in sync.
    >
    > I see... and is reencoding it something I can do to/with the existing
    > file on the computer? Or do I need to somehow output and rerecord it
    > to my hard drive? (which frankly, it is not worth my time to do...
    > but I do want to try and better understand this)
    >
    > Thanks again,
    It depends upon what software you have. Reencoding it will undoubtedly
    result in some quality loss since you're going to be using lossy
    compression on an already compressed data stream. Cleaner should do the
    job, but I tend to demux, convert the streams to DV and AIFF, combine
    into a DV Stream in QT Pro, then reencode with Toast's plugin or
    ffmpegX from the DV stream to VCD-compatible mpeg-1.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  19. #19

    sbt wrote:

    ->It depends upon what software you have. Reencoding it will undoubtedly
    ->result in some quality loss since you're going to be using lossy
    ->compression on an already compressed data stream. Cleaner should do the
    ->job, but I tend to demux, convert the streams to DV and AIFF, combine
    ->into a DV Stream in QT Pro, then reencode with Toast's plugin or
    ->ffmpegX from the DV stream to VCD-compatible mpeg-1.

    Great. Thanks for all the information... I through with this for the
    night, but I'll attempt your demux solution later...

    Regards,
    jeff in la Guest