Professional Web Applications Themes

Video is not in sync with audio - Macromedia Director Basics

I've distributed my movie to a projector which I have burned to a cd along with the mpg videos. When I run the projector and play the video it is not in sync with the videos audio. The video itself appears slightly choppy at times and the audio is doing a snap, crackle, pop. Usually the video is lagging behind the audio. When playing the video direct from the cd (not running from projector) it plays perfectly. I also have a slide show that plays with mp3 audio and the slide show lags behind the audio. Now to complicate the ...

  1. #1

    Default Video is not in sync with audio

    I've distributed my movie to a projector which I have burned to a cd along
    with the mpg videos. When I run the projector and play the video it is not
    in sync with the videos audio. The video itself appears slightly choppy at
    times and the audio is doing a snap, crackle, pop. Usually the video is
    lagging behind the audio. When playing the video direct from the cd (not
    running from projector) it plays perfectly. I also have a slide show that
    plays with mp3 audio and the slide show lags behind the audio.

    Now to complicate the issue even more, I was able to get the cd to play in
    one of my PCs which it originally played as described above. It played
    almost perfectly after I ejected and reinserted the disc. I say almost
    perfectly because the video was slightly choppy in a couple of spots but the
    audio was fine.

    One more thing, I just received an error during playback on the cd stating
    the '.exe file has generated an error and will be closed by Windows'.

    Can someone help me please... I've been obsessing over this for days now.

    red rooster Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Video is not in sync with audio

    The loss of synch in your digital video files is a common problem. The
    source of the problem is the data rate that you have used when
    compressing the dv files. DV files played from a CD have a much tougher
    time of it than files played from the hard drive. The CD reader has
    only one read head, it usually has a slower data throughput and a
    smaller cache. If the computer has more than one data bus, the CD drive
    is usually connected to the slower bus. When you play the DV files
    through Director, the DV player is running as a guest application on
    top of Director. The DV player has to share resources with Director and
    so Director has to clear out memory space and allocate screen real
    estate for the DV player. If your movie is asking for assets from the
    CD at the same time as the DV file is playing, there will be a conflict
    for the use of the one read head on the CD reader.

    You will need to lower the data rate of the DV file. You'll have to try
    a number of different rates to find one that works well in most cases.
    You may also need to optimize the playback of your movie to allow for a
    free flow of data from the CD. You may also need to change the way that
    you are addressing the DV file in the score to allow for the DV player
    to start up without problems.

    There are a number of tech notes on working with digital video in
    Director, you may find some additional useful information there.

    --
    Rob
    _______

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/[/url]