Professional Web Applications Themes

Video sites say I need Flash Player - Macromedia Flash Player

Video sites say I need Flash Player 8. I have installed, deinstalled, re-installed over and over as per Adobe support suggestions. The Adobe site says "You have version 9,0,47,0 installed" Video runs on YouTube but CNN, Fox and others keep saying I need to install the Flash Player. I have invested (wasted) four hours fooling with this. I see I am not alone. Anyone have a fix?...

  1. #1

    Default Video sites say I need Flash Player

    Video sites say I need Flash Player 8. I have installed, deinstalled,
    re-installed over and over as per Adobe support suggestions. The Adobe site
    says "You have version 9,0,47,0 installed"
    Video runs on YouTube but CNN, Fox and others keep saying I need to install
    the Flash Player.
    I have invested (wasted) four hours fooling with this. I see I am not alone.
    Anyone have a fix?

    BobTheBeeGuy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Video sites say I need Flash Player

    I don't see how flash will run on U-tube, but not on cnn or fox, unless they
    use different plug-ins, if I disable active X control( flash9d.ocx) file,
    u-tube, cnn, fox or any-other website that uses flash will give me the message
    to install the latest flash player.

    Try this - Go to > tools > manage add-ons(enable or disable) highlight the
    file( flash9d.ocx) and disable.

    You don't say in your post, what os, version of windows, or browser you are
    using, so I will assume windows.

    Click Uninstaller, where it says Updates by version, that will take you to
    Macromedia Flash Player Uninstaller and download the one for windows below and
    run the file.

    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html#uninstaller

    Click on the link below to install the flash player version 9,0,47,0... I
    uncheck the box for the google toolbar, but you might want it, flash does not
    require that you use it.

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFl
    ash

    When you get the message flash has been installed successfully - Go back to
    tools > manage add-ons and enable flash9d.ocx file.

    See if u-tube, cnn, or fox work.

    HP610cL Guest

  3. #3

    I am using Dell 2400 1gig memory, Windows XP Home.
    I went to > tools > manage add-ons
    There was no such file as: flash9d.ocx. If I click on download new add-ons and
    go to get Flash Player for Internet Explorer I get the Download Flash 9 and the
    big "F"
    The green bars just keep on blinking.
    When I check the Adobe site I get this message You have version 9,0,47,0
    installed
    The samples on the Adobe site run fine.
    Add another site that says I need to upgrade my Flash Player: The Weather
    Channel.

    BobTheBeeGuy Guest

  4. #4

    I'm having the same problem. I've tried everything! It works with Youtube and
    some of the flash based ads on Yahoo but not on other sites. I tried it in
    Firefox and it works almost all the time. I've also tried it in IE7 in safe
    mode and it works. Here are my specs:

    Windows Vista Home Premium w/ all updates
    IE7 with all updates
    EVGA nVidia 8800 GTS 640mb
    Intel Pentium D 340Ghz
    2 gigs of RAM
    Gigabytle GA-8N-SLI motherboard

    Thanks.

    8eight8 Guest

  5. #5

    When you opened add-ons, where did you look, Add-ons currently loaded in IE.,
    Add-ons that have been used by IE., Add-ons that run without permission or
    Downloaded active X controls 32 bit, none of these had flash9d.ocx file.

    Have you ever manually worked in Windows Registry, if yes - go to your run box
    and type regedit, this will open the registry - click on the key
    HKEY_LOCA_MACHINE\Software\ scroll down till you come to Macromedia, click the
    plus sign on the left for macromedia - do you see Flash Player, Flash Player
    Active X and Shockwave 10, highlight Flash Player - what does it say for -
    Current Version and Flash Player Version, highlight Flash Player Active X -
    what is Name...... Type....... Data.. C:\Windows, if you have never edited
    something in the registry and are not comfortable doing this - that's ok!,
    we'll figure something else out.

    Is this the site, you are talking about when you say the Weather Channel that
    flash doesn't work.

    http://www.weather.com/newscenter/fcstsummary.html?from=footer

    The above site uses - Blue Box Video Player, you can find the link below.

    http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?
    clip=7550&collection=topstory&nav=topstory&from=wx center_video

    When you click the above link your screen should turn light blue and should
    say loading player and then the video should start playing.

    HP610cL Guest

  6. #6

    Now see that site works for me, the following two don't:

    http://www.1-18-08.com/
    http://www.elizabeththegoldenage.net/

    In regedit it says my current version is 9,0,47,0 for both.
    8eight8 Guest

  7. #7

    Yes. I looked in all those places.
    No, I've never worked in the registry. A little beyond me I think. I might try
    when I have some time.
    The Weather Channel site was
    http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html Is the site the weather
    channel takes me for Video. There is nothing about Blue Box Player, Redirect
    says
    We're Sorry! You need to update your Flash Player. Box says:
    Get macromedia FLASH PLAYER
    Click on that and it takes you to Adobe page:

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFl
    ash
    Home / Downloads / Flash Player / Adobe Flash Player Download Center
    Windows
    Install Flash Player
    Version: 9,0,47,0
    Date Posted: 7/10/2007
    File Size: 1,126 K .

    I think Adobe has a turd of an update and and most of the web sites using
    flash video will not recognize it.
    How do I get Flash 8 back?

    BobTheBeeGuy Guest

  8. #8

    The reason it doesn't say anything about the blue box player, because you are
    redirected from the site as soon as the website detects your Flash will not
    work with their player, their is a java script file that can detect the flash
    plug-in, on all major web browsers that's why you can't download flash 8.

    If you decide you want to go back to flash 8, you have to use the adobe flash
    Uninstaller for Windows to remove Flash 9, if you delete it from the control
    panel in add & remove programs it won't remove the registry key for Flash 9,
    use the adobe flash uninstaller below.

    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html#uninstaller

    I would give you a direct link to download Flash 8, but I have on my system
    Flash 9, and their is a file in flash that won't let me download flash 8, when
    you uninstall Flash 9, you should be able to install 8, belolw.

    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14266&sliceId=1

    When you download and install Flash 8, their is a Critical Security Update for
    this player, I would apply this update, so your machine is protected.

    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?loc=en_us&term=flash+player+8+crit
    ical+security+update

    When you installed Flash 9, did you restart Windows?

    HP610cL Guest

  9. #9

    Hi; 8eight8

    You don't have a problem with the adobe flash player, because you have the
    latest one installed and working. The problem you have, some sites don't work
    right with flash like the two you posted. I clicked on both links and the first
    one had a picture of a girl and two men, website is Tucows. The second link is
    a movie site, Network Solutions, movie Woman Warrior Queen, I watched the
    trailer(looks like a good movie).

    You don't say what kind of player, you are using, Quicktime, Windows Media
    9,10,11, Real Player, I think your problem is your player and not flash,
    because most sites you go to requiring flash will play, if I'm wrong let me
    know, you might just have to update your player or install Codecs for audio and
    video to work with flash.

    The first site you posted did not require flash, it was just a picture, you
    should of been able to open this site.

    Have you checked your Settings Manager, for the Adobe Flash Player?

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/doentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_man
    ager.html

    Try turning your pop-up blocker off, for the sites flash won't work, turn it
    off before you click on the website, but make sure you don't forget to turn it
    back on, also try refreshing the page, see if this helps.

    HP610cL Guest

  10. #10

    I had a similar problem with the weather.com interactive weather map. i'm
    running Windows XP and IE7. recently downloaded the updated flash player
    (version 9). went to the Adobe download page and found the version 8 download.
    followed the instructions (uninstall previous versions), then installed
    version 8. works as before.

    pbturner Guest

  11. #11

    has anyone been getting the problem after a pop up occurred on your desktop
    (not with IE open) that says a new version of flash player is available? I
    can't remember the URL or version (sorry) but the links on it took me to a
    www.adobe.com/something site describing the update so I installed it. After a
    restart I went to http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml and then
    www.adobe.com and the flash animation wasn't there, just a link to get flash
    player. I had to do the uninstall described above and then reinstall from
    adobe.com and works fine. Problem is then I started getting wiggy things happen
    like Pshops save dialog box disappearing and then my DVD drive not being
    recognized. Did a complete reformat and fine now. (XP and Vista dual boot, both
    reformatted and installed). Is it coincidence or possible malware that never
    actually came from Adobe?

    Healw Guest

  12. #12

    Found this on The Register (UK)

    "Hackers have developed a new ruse that attempts to trick users into
    downloading malware from a fake Adobe Shockwave Player download site."

    "Prospective marks who stray onto lure sites - such as a game site related to
    {name censored} - are presented with broken icons in an attempt to convince
    them that their copy of Shockwave (if already installed) isn't working
    properly."

    You can search Google for this text to see more info: malware new flash player

    tsmith35 Guest